Other Interests

Old March 7th 04, 08:09 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Other Interests

What is top-post? Do you mean, like this here post, where I put my reply before your
remark? I thought that it helps people get to the new remark quicker. I don't do it all
the time, but I thought top posting was when someone makes their post go to the top of a
display of new posts, so it appears out of order.

Terje Mathisen wrote:

[ ]
PS. Please don't top-post!

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 7th 04, 08:20 PM
Diva

Jeff, this seems to be a debate going on constantly in Usenet groups. =
Apparently it depends upon what newsreader you use, which is easier. =
Some people prefer reading the reply and then referencing it to what was =
previously posted below without scrolling through the entire previous =
post, and some prefer to read the reply at the bottom after reading the =
reference material at the top. I like your way, as you can tell, but =
then who am I but just an idiotic newbie.

June

"Jeff Potter" wrote in message =
.. .
What is top-post? Do you mean, like this here post, where I put my reply =
before your
remark? I thought that it helps people get to the new remark quicker. I =
don't do it all
the time, but I thought top posting was when someone makes their post go =
to the top of a
display of new posts, so it appears out of order.

Terje Mathisen wrote:

[ ]
PS. Please don't top-post!

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 8th 04, 08:01 AM
Terje Mathisen

Jeff Potter wrote:

What is top-post? Do you mean, like this here post, where I put my reply before your

Exactly right.
(I.e. exactly wrong according to Usenet/news recommendations.)

remark? I thought that it helps people get to the new remark quicker. I don't do it all

Yes, and it forces them to hunt all over the next pages trying to figure
out what you're replying to.

the time, but I thought top posting was when someone makes their post go to the top of a
display of new posts, so it appears out of order.

You could forge the date field to put it on top of a date-sorted list,
but otherwise there shouldn't be any way to do that.

Notice how much easier it is to figure out which questions I'm replying to?
:-)

Terje

--
-
Old March 10th 04, 11:52 AM
John O'Connell

Golf, Biking, Lake Kayaking, Working on projects that require heavy
labor at my cabin and a Saturday night cigar during the summer by the
campfire (Dominican as Cubans are illegal here and hard to get...end
the embargo)

I'm going to try to learn to cook well this year. Peanut butter
sandwiches should not be at the top of my food chain.

John OC

(Chris Cline) wrote in message oo.com...
--0-1258732533-1078670167=:30919

Hi Terje-
Yes, Timp (Timpanogos, so you were close) is one of the nicer, longer hikes.
I did it with a group of XC folks one time, and as we were ski walking up the trail just
below the summit (cruising pretty fast, all in a line, all doing this wierd exaggerated
walking stride), some guy who was coming down told us we looked like "the
Keystone Cops on their way to a fire." Oh well. I don't remember our time to the top,
but I think the total trip (out & back, including 10-20 minutes on the summit) was on the
order of 4 hours.

Those downhills are a lot nicer in the spring, when there's still snow and you can glissade down! ;- )

Chris

Terje Mathisen wrote:
Chris Cline wrote:
Running in the summer-- yes, I know it trashes my knees, but the mountains in
Salt Lake are just too close to pass up, and I feel like I have a target painted

They are nice, aren't they? :-)

Summer of '92, just before returning to Norway, I got the chance to join
the guy who'd invited me to come to Utah (Paul Turner) on a hike up to
Timp (i.e. Mt Timpanogous (spelling?)).

We took almost exactly two hours, getting up to the final ridge in time
for sunrise (_very_ pretty, let me tell you).

Up on the summit we met quite a few people who'd tented on the final
meadow and walked up, one of them asked us how long we taken. When we
replied '2 hours' he condescendingly told us hiw wife took just 1:50+ or
something.
:-)

Later he did admit that she was the current local triathlon champion.

Anyway, the only problems with trips like this is that you should have a
cable car to take you back down, those downhill jogging trips with tired
legs are murder on your knees and ankles. :-(

Terje
--
-

Yahoo! Search - Find what youre looking for faster.
--0-1258732533-1078670167=:30919

DIVHi Terje-/DIV
DIVYes, Timp (Timpanogos, so you were close) is one of the nicer, longer hikes./DIV
DIVI did it with a group of XC folks one time, and as we were ski walking up the trail just /DIV
DIVbelow the summit (cruising pretty fast, all in a line, all doing this wierd exaggerated/DIV
DIVwalking stride), some guy who was coming down told us we looked like "the /DIV
DIVKeystone Cops on their way to a fire."  Oh well. I don't remember our time to the top,/DIV
DIVbut I think the total trip (out & back, including 10-20 minutes on the summit) was on the/DIV
DIVorder of 4 hours./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVThose downhills are a lot nicer in the spring, when there's still snow and you can glissade down! ;- )/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChrisBRBRBITerje Mathisen >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;

BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Chris Cline wrote:BR> Running in
the summer-- yes, I know it trashes my knees, but the mountains in
BR> Salt Lake are just too close to pass up, and I feel like I
have a target paintedBRBRThey are nice, aren't they?
:-)BRBRSummer of '92, just before returning to Norway, I got the
chance to join BRthe guy who'd invited me to come to Utah (Paul
Turner) on a hike up to BRTimp (i.e. Mt Timpanogous
(spelling?)).BRBRWe took almost exactly two hours, getting up to
the final ridge in time BRfor sunrise (_very_ pretty, let me tell
you).BRBRUp on the summit we met quite a few people who'd tented
on the final BRmeadow and walked up, one of them asked us how long
we taken. When we BRreplied '2 hours' he condescendingly told us hiw
wife took just 1:50+ or BRsomething.BR:-)BRBRLater he did
admit that she was the current local triathlon
champion.BRBRAnyway, the only problems with trips like this is that you should have a BRcable car to take you back down, those downhill jogging trips with tired BRlegs are murder on your knees and ankles. :-(BRBRTerjeBR-- BR- BR"almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"BRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
Yahoo! Search - a href="http://search.yahoo.com/?fr=ad-mailsig-home"Find what youre looking for faster./a
--0-1258732533-1078670167=:30919--

Old March 10th 04, 03:19 PM
Primoz Jeroncic

Jay Tegeder wrote:

Here's my list;
Bicycling
Bike Building
Golf
Furniture Restoration
Hiking

Yeah, yeah, I know I don't have anything cultural on my list... Does
that mean I'm not well rounded? Opera-BORING! Theatre-BORING!
Classical Music-BORING! Museums-BORING! Ballet-BORING! Tap
Dancing-BORING!

Gee I hate to say this (and sorry for you too Jay but pretty much
same for me. Except golf and furniture restoration.

For me pretty much any sport which is outside and in middle of
nowehere (MTB, hiking, running, mounteneering, climbing). And
photography (which is a bit hobby a bit job).
Opera, theatre, dancing... no thank you

--
Primoz
Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing
Old March 10th 04, 04:02 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Primoz Jeroncic wrote:

Jay Tegeder wrote:

. .
Yeah, yeah, I know I don't have anything cultural on my list... Does
that mean I'm not well rounded? Opera-BORING! Theatre-BORING!
Classical Music-BORING! Museums-BORING! Ballet-BORING! Tap
Dancing-BORING!

Gee I hate to say this (and sorry for you too Jay but pretty much
same for me. Except golf and furniture restoration.

I must say that some of us find much on Jay's list quite interesting - not
all theater, for instance, is interesting, but much of it is. Same goes
for the rest of the list. I have very catholic tastes in music even
though I only play one sort, mostly. I hope that many of my fellow skiers
find more than just "popular culture" of interest.

-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old March 10th 04, 07:31 PM
Terje Henriksen

"Primoz Jeroncic" skrev i melding
Jay Tegeder wrote:

Here's my list;
Bicycling
Bike Building
Golf
Furniture Restoration
Hiking

Yeah, yeah, I know I don't have anything cultural on my list... Does
that mean I'm not well rounded? Opera-BORING! Theatre-BORING!
Classical Music-BORING! Museums-BORING! Ballet-BORING! Tap
Dancing-BORING!

Gee I hate to say this (and sorry for you too Jay but pretty much
same for me. Except golf and furniture restoration.

For me pretty much any sport which is outside and in middle of
nowehere (MTB, hiking, running, mounteneering, climbing). And
photography (which is a bit hobby a bit job).
Opera, theatre, dancing... no thank you

Newsgroups?

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old March 10th 04, 09:57 PM
J999w

-VW Repair
I basically do all the work on our two VWs

Jay Wenner

Alright ... another wrench head ! Hey, I got an '87 1.8L 16v Gti Golf (red)
sitting here waiting to be restored. Wont pass emissions (boooo!). But first
comes the new transmission for the '87 Turbo 4x4 Subaru XT ... a real r o c k
e t in snow. Too many 'foot to the floor' starts in blizzard conditions I'm
afraid. :^]

John Wilke
Milwaukee
Old March 11th 04, 03:04 AM
Jeff Potter

This would be kinda silly for me to fill out, wouldn't it? I mean, I wear my
heart on my sleeve. Hit the link below and there ya go. A big list.

--

Jeff Potter
****