Well, I finally jumped off a chairlift today

Old February 25th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard

Default Well, I finally jumped off a chairlift today

Was at Cannon Mt. in NH, at the char (forget the name) that goes to the
top along Profile. It's a fixed-grip quad. I was with somebody else,
and were going to go up as a pair. As we left the stand-by line and
were proceeding to the load line a guy comes rushing up behind us and
says "I'm going to take this one too". Then he realized he was a little
late and says "Sorry, my bad!", but he was already in the path of the
chair. I was shuffling to the left to make room for him when the chair
came up, but the chair hit him and he wound up underneath me. He grabs
me under the shoulders so I don't go under the chair, but now I'm
sitting on his ****ing lap! Incredibly, the chair keeps moving; the
attendant doesn't stop it. We're yelling hey, hey stop the chair!
Eventually, he does, but by that time we're well away up the slope and
I'm dangling. What to do? We couldn't straighten out the seating
arrangements, and I'm starting to slip off. I figure what the ****,
it's not that high, I'll just jump, so I did. It was further than I
thought; at the point when I thought I would hit my legs were completely
extended and I was still falling. Whoops! It might have been 10 ft,
actually. But fortunately, the snow was soft and I was able to get
right up and ski out. Apparently, the liftie was yelling at us, but I
didn't hear anything; I was just concentrating on my own situation.

At the top, the guy was apologizing profusely for being so dumb, and I
said don't worry about it, everybody does dumb things sometimes, the
only dumb people are the ones who don't admit it when they make a
mistake - like that ****wad liftie. When I got back on to the lift, If
he'd said anything to me, I would have complained to management about
him. He's supposed to watch out for stuff like this. But he didn't so
I just let it go.

Dave
Old February 25th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Maybe the next guy he does it to will do something about it. Or get injured
enough to start an investigation.

Old February 25th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:49:49 -0500, Dave Stallard
wrote this crap:

[...]

How did you get to the top if you fell off the lift?

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old February 25th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

wrote this crap:

[...]

I assumed the "eventually he does" part covered it.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old February 25th 08, 10:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 04:17:23 GMT, Alan Baker
wrote this crap:

How did you get to the top if you fell off the lift?

I assumed the "eventually he does" part covered it.

I seriously doubt his story. First, if I jumped from a chairlift, I'd
probably break both legs. Second, if I did land in soft snow, and
didn't break my legs, I would ski DOWN the mountain, not go to the
top.

Old February 25th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
D.

the guy was from new hampshire , that's sop .
D.

Old February 25th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
D.

what are you , a cop ?
it's a good tale .
D.

Old February 25th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

wrote this crap:

How did you get to the top if you fell off the lift?

I assumed the "eventually he does" part covered it.

I seriously doubt his story. First, if I jumped from a chairlift, I'd
probably break both legs. Second, if I did land in soft snow, and
didn't break my legs, I would ski DOWN the mountain, not go to the
top.

You should try reading his post again.

He fell off almost immediately after loading, so:

1. He wasn't yet very high in the air.

and

2. There wasn't yet much mountain to ski down.

Old February 25th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Feb 25, 8:10*am, "D." wrote:
the guy was from new hampshire , that's sop .
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * D.

Ayup.

Live free or die.

Dontcha know?

Down the corner of the mountain they had a 200-year-old (at least) guy
fall all the way down the cliff and they didn't find a trace of him, a
few years back. NH people benn whinin' about that ever since.

Old February 28th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

wrote this crap:

How did you get to the top if you fell off the lift?

I assumed the "eventually he does" part covered it.

I seriously doubt his story. First, if I jumped from a chairlift, I'd
probably break both legs. Second, if I did land in soft snow, and
didn't break my legs, I would ski DOWN the mountain, not go to the
top.

And then catch the chair? Or say "fuggit" and head straight for
Hooters?

bw