New descriptors

Old February 9th 06, 11:43 PM

Default New descriptors

The normal condition of snow around here is post-grooming ice in the morning,
half an hour of nice snow, and then slush until it freezes later in the
afternoon or evening. This used to be called something like "hardpack that
will soften in the afternoon." Today's report: "Grippy hard pack that will
develop a thin loose layer." I'd call hardpack NOT grippy, assuming it means
that the snow grips your skis tightly with the intent of slowing you down
REALLY quickly, but I'm pretty sure that's not what they mean.

Must have hired a new marketing guy.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 10th 06, 03:25 AM

The Real Bev wrote:
The normal condition of snow around here is post-grooming ice in the
morning, half an hour of nice snow, and then slush until it freezes
later in the afternoon or evening.

Is that Big Bear? Bear-something anyway. At least you have nice-ish weather.

--
ant

Old February 10th 06, 04:14 AM

ant wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
The normal condition of snow around here is post-grooming ice in the
morning, half an hour of nice snow, and then slush until it freezes
later in the afternoon or evening.

Is that Big Bear? Bear-something anyway.

Big Bear Lake. Bear Mountain and Snow Summit is/are the ski area(s) on the
south side of the lake. If you're sufficiently interested, google earth has a
pretty good representation.

At least you have nice-ish weather.

85F-ish today. Extremely low value of 'nice'. Good for bicycling, though.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 10th 06, 01:26 PM

The Real Bev wrote:

The normal condition of snow around here is post-grooming ice in the
morning, half an hour of nice snow, and then slush until it freezes
later in the afternoon or evening. This used to be called something
like "hardpack that will soften in the afternoon." Today's report:
"Grippy hard pack that will develop a thin loose layer." I'd call
hardpack NOT grippy, assuming it means that the snow grips your skis
tightly with the intent of slowing you down REALLY quickly, but I'm
pretty sure that's not what they mean.

"Grippy" usually means that it's easy to hold an edge, not that the snow
slows you down. They're somewhat correlated, but not quite the same.

Yes, there is such a thing as grippy hardpack. Western skiers call it
"ice", eastern skiers call it "soft".

//Walt