Driving in Austria and Germany

Old November 30th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Wolfgang May

Default Driving in Austria and Germany

In rec.travel.europe wrote:
Thnak you guys for your answers.
The I can have snow chains for 7Euros/day = 56Euros ..and that just to
take that route. No thanks. Now that raises a new question...somebody
said here that he hasn't used his snow chains for the last 10 years.

Many people never need them. As long as you can choose if you drive a certain
way or not, they are not necessary.

What's the chance to need them in that very day when I will be driving
there. (Walchensee)

Small. And in case the weather conditions require them, you can drive another
way (in heavy snow and clouds, the Walchensee route is not that scenic).

As far as I can see I don't think I will need them for my daily trips
to the resorts I mentioned, I believe that a business requirement for
these resorts would be to keep the roads to these resorts clean. Am I
wrong ?

Partially. It also depends on the place. St.Anton will be kept clean most
of the time as it is a main road, while Soelden probably not.

If it *really* snows heavily, keeping the roads clean is not that
easy. But then, in most cases, there is no skiing. On such days, you
should stay in Innsbruck or elsewhere in the valley, or e.g. go to
Southern Tyrol by train. Or go skiing nearby (it is not like probably
in the US, that skiing is only possible in some "famous" resorts -
there are ski-lifts nearly in every place there).

Wolfgang
Old November 30th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine

You should know the answer to that :-)

That's for sure ! But it will be to late !

If you have them in the car, about 0%.

If you don't, then about 100%.

Not sure how u calculated that 100% :-)

Thanks for your feedback

Old November 30th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
tile

"Jens Arne Maennig" ha scritto nel messaggio
tile wrote:

It is compulsory to have snow tyres or snow chains.
If you have snow tyres.. you do not need snow chains.

Where did you find this rule, and for which country?

Jens

the rule is for Germany and austria.. ( as far as I know )
people just buy two sets of tyres.
one for winter and one for summer.
and snow tyres or chains are the same..
at least in Italy...
when the sign appear .. snow chains on board compulsory.. you do not need
chains if you have snow tyres.

apparently. this year there is not snow where it should be.
Hotels are worrying.. and so are those who leave on tourism,
Even a part of Winter Worldgames was cancelled in Italy

Old November 30th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine

Thanks Wolfgang

I will see if I can get winter tires from the rental company.
It should be standard by my opinion, especially if the snow chains are
required by law on some roads.

Old November 30th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine

You are right !! :-((

"Snow tyres EUR 15.50 per day, EUR 120 per month" quotation from the
rental agreement
This is vrery expensive considering you buy the CDW and the car is
let's say 40Euros/day.
If you have CDW why would you care for their car afte all ?

Jens Arne Maennig wrote:
wrote:

I will see if I can get winter tires from the rental company.
It should be standard by my opinion, especially if the snow chains are
required by law on some roads.

According to a recent research of Auto Club Europa, one third of the
rental cars in Germany are actually equipped with snow tires during
the winter. An according article in Süddeutsche Zeitung
(
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/automobil...l/848/86762/8/) said that
you should insist in snow tires *when booking* the car. Often, there
are surcharges up to 15 euro a day or snow tires are not available for
smaller cars.

Jens