Driving in Austria and Germany

Old November 29th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine

Default Driving in Austria and Germany

The air company will charge me 10-20$/kg to have my own ski set with
me.
Renting doesn't sound good at all for me. Yes I will be traveling each
day to an other resort
I just want to see them all (as I selected them they are among the best
in Austria I would say).
Now I am wondering which one makes more sense:

-to have my own set
-to rent one
-to buy one there

I as someone said I do not need the latest model of boots or skis...but
I doubt that for 150 euros I can buy skis and boots in Innsbruk for
instance. It is also time consuming. I will anyway have to pay :-)) to
take them back with me :-(
Renting means probably 150 euros at least for 5 days.
Having my own I believe is going to be the same amount. Never cared how
much a ski set would weight !:-) I have to find out.

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to Alex Heney :

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:53:30 +0100, Tim C.
wrote:

Following up to Alex Heney :

He will be looking in Innsbruck area.

Maybe, he didn't say. He might want to hire sets in each of the places he
visits, and as St. Anton was one of the places listed .... Who knows?

Maybe, but I had the impression he would be staying in Innsbruck and
traveling to the ski areas each day.

In which case it makes a lot more sense to hire one set for the entire
period than go through the hassle of hiring separately each day.

Makes more sense, sure, on the face of it.
Skiing one day, snowboarding the next ...may have a car full of people and
no ski rack. May want to take a day off in between. Who knows?
--
Tim C.

Old November 29th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Alex Heney

On 29 Nov 2006 05:38:29 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I don't know which airline you are using, but many of them charge a
fixed price for ski equipment, regardless of weight.

If the cost is similar, I would always take your own, because it is
what you are used to, and it means you won't have to waste time
selecting and paying for rental equipment.

I would only rent if it was going to be significantly cheaper, or if
there was going to be a lot of other travel involved where skis would
just be an encumbrance.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art.
Old November 29th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Tim C.

Following up to :

The air company will charge me 10-20$/kg to have my own ski set with
me.
Renting doesn't sound good at all for me. Yes I will be traveling each
day to an other resort

Have you considered the ski trains? There are often special trains to
selected resorts which do a good deal on ski-passes as well.

I just want to see them all (as I selected them they are among the best
in Austria I would say).
Now I am wondering which one makes more sense:

-to have my own set
-to rent one
-to buy one there

I as someone said I do not need the latest model of boots or skis...but
I doubt that for 150 euros I can buy skis and boots in Innsbruk for
instance.

You could get a set of skis/bindings/stick for around that -February.
If you really want to buy something, then buy boots, and rent the rest.

It is also time consuming. I will anyway have to pay :-)) to
take them back with me :-(
Renting means probably 150 euros at least for 5 days.
Having my own I believe is going to be the same amount.

Not counting boots, which will set you back around €200+ depending on what
you want.

Never cared how
much a ski set would weight !:-) I have to find out.

They're heavier than you think. The whole lot will most likely be over
10kg.(skis~3.6kg pair, bindings 1.6kg pair, boots ~5+kg pair)
--
Tim C.
Old November 29th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Alex Heney

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:48:15 +0100, Tim C.
wrote:

Following up to :

The air company will charge me 10-20$/kg to have my own ski set with
me.
Renting doesn't sound good at all for me. Yes I will be traveling each
day to an other resort

Have you considered the ski trains? There are often special trains to
selected resorts which do a good deal on ski-passes as well.

I have a sneaking suspicion he may be traveling from the USA (the
reference to $ above may be a clue). There aren't any ski trains to
Austria from there :-)

I just want to see them all (as I selected them they are among the best
in Austria I would say).
Now I am wondering which one makes more sense:

-to have my own set
-to rent one
-to buy one there

I as someone said I do not need the latest model of boots or skis...but
I doubt that for 150 euros I can buy skis and boots in Innsbruk for
instance.

You could get a set of skis/bindings/stick for around that -February.
If you really want to buy something, then buy boots, and rent the rest.

You can often use a second pair of skis. But boots? And his own boots
can go in an ordinary suitcase, so are the easiest part of his kit to
bring with him anyhow.

It is also time consuming. I will anyway have to pay :-)) to
take them back with me :-(
Renting means probably 150 euros at least for 5 days.
Having my own I believe is going to be the same amount.

Not counting boots, which will set you back around ¤200+ depending on what
you want.

Never cared how
much a ski set would weight !:-) I have to find out.

They're heavier than you think. The whole lot will most likely be over
10kg.(skis~3.6kg pair, bindings 1.6kg pair, boots ~5+kg pair)

Yes.

It all adds up. I find my luggage (including skis) usually weighs more
for a solo ski holiday than for a pair of us on a summer holiday (and
we take a lot of books on a summer holiday).
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If you associate with the wise, you will become wise.
Old November 29th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine

Yes it is USA
I don't like the "train" idea as I will be forced to follow the train's
schedule and not mine.
I am not an exceptional skier so I may get tired and want to go home in
the middle of the day. I top of that as I said I would like to visit
the region it may not be pure skiing.

Depending on how many baggages you have the air lines allow you to take
the skis and boots as the second item ( you ar allowed to take 2x23 kg
pieces)...so that may do it !

Alex Heney wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:48:15 +0100, Tim C.

Following up to :

Old November 29th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Wolfgang May

In rec.travel.europe wrote:

Renting doesn't sound good at all for me. Yes I will be traveling each
day to an other resort

Have you considered the ski trains? There are often special trains to
selected resorts which do a good deal on ski-passes as well.

I have a sneaking suspicion he may be traveling from the USA (the
reference to $ above may be a clue). There aren't any ski trains to
Austria from there :-)

The train idea was most probably not meant for travel from/to Austria, but for
"traveling each day to another resort".

Yes it is USA
I don't like the "train" idea as I will be forced to follow the train's
schedule and not mine.

With the car, you can also not necessarily follow "your schedule". You
most probably will get stuck in traffic jams. Especially the way
between Innsbruck and the Arlberg (and also the Ischgl area) is often
problematic. It is the main connection between Austria and the
Austrian state "Vorarlberg", via a tunnel that starts in St.Anton.

E.g., when the motorway is closed at a certain place, all traffic must
go through the town of Landeck, where the road crosses below an old
train bridge where it is not possible to have a truck, bus or
motorcaravan in one direction and any other vehicle in the other (it
is sufficient for two cars). You can spend hours passing there.

I am not an exceptional skier so I may get tired and want to go home in
the middle of the day.

I am not sure whether there is only one train up in the morning and
one down in the evening, but there could be one e.g. each hour. Check
the tourist info.

I top of that as I said I would like to visit
the region it may not be pure skiing.

If you have a day off this way, I recommend to visit Southern Tyrol
(Bolzano/Bozen via direct trains or Merano/Meran which is probably
even nicer - you can also go by car [additional toll across the
Brenner pass], but the train is sufficient and simpler for these
places). Have a look on the Web before to get an impression.
(Especially for the case that it is not possible to go for skiing
because of bad weather conditions)

Wolfgang
Old November 29th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Turan Fettahoglu

My skis I bought in winter 1987.
My first snowboard in summer 1987. The newest one in 1993.
I'm not a slave of fashion, as you can see.

I used the same pair of skis for 27 years, because they never had broken. (I
am not kidding!)

After trying a pair of new carving skis I threw away the old ones. Have a
try, new skis do make a difference!

Turan

Old November 29th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Tom Peel

tile schrieb:
ha scritto nel messaggio
ups.com...
Hi

I was told that for driving in Austria I will need a sticker (for
autobahn)
Is it the same for Germany ?

I am going to drive daily form Innsbruck to the following destinations

Kuhtai Glacier
Stubaier Glacier
Ischgl
Solden
Arlber St Anton

I will do this for skiing. I have a few questions:

-What currency am I supposed to have with me ?
-For those of you who went there ...what are the supplimentary charges
applied for a VISA or Mastercard transaction (my account is not in the
local currency) . I am not happy to travel with a lot of cash with me.
-Where can I buy the stickers for Germany and Austria and for how much
(if you know)
-How much would be to rent complete set for skiing (boots, poles,
skiis) ?

Any recommendations for driving eating and skiing for these
destinations would be much appreciated. I would also like to know if
the parking is OK for these destinations. Are there any fee for parking
?

pls note that in Germany there are NORMALLY no speed limits on Autobahnen..
so if you want to experience driving a car at 250 kms.. you might do it.

Fat chance in winter. It took me 6 hours today to drive 500 km.

If he is planning to drive into any ski resorts, if he has any sanity he
should make sure his car is fitted with snow tyres, in which case he
should not exceed the rated max speed of the tyres.

T.
Old November 29th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine

Thank you very much.
The traffic jam is a good point.
Is there any web site were I would be able to check the traffic
conditions ?
The hotel has Internet so...it will be wonderful if at 7 AM I can check
the traffic and see whic way is better to go.

Thank you

NP

Old November 29th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Wolfgang May

In rec.travel.europe wrote:
Thank you very much.
The traffic jam is a good point.
Is there any web site were I would be able to check the traffic
conditions ?

Often the TV/radio stations have.
In Austria:
www.orf.at, probably also private ones in Tyrol.
But: usually only in Austrian-German Language.

The hotel has Internet so...it will be wonderful if at 7 AM I can check
the traffic and see whic way is better to go.

At 7am there is usually no problem (except for bad weather conditions,
avalanches etc), the problems come then during the day.

Probably ask the locals in the hotel what they recommend - they have
experience.

Wolfgang