A picture of the Lyngen Alps & wee report

Old May 7th 04, 02:20 PM
WeatherCam

Default A picture of the Lyngen Alps & wee report

Just returned from an amazing week in Norway / Sweden - first three days
touring in the Lyngen Alps - staying on board a boat and then climbing to
the summit and descending back to the boat - we were with two guides from La
Grave who kept stating "that you will not get better than this" as we went
down another amazing decsent back to the beach and boat!

Then on from the Tromso region to Narvik for a day, resort there still
open - next day early start and went to Riksgrasnen on the Swedish border,
this resort does not shut till June and has plenty of the white stuff - plus
as we had earnt out turns we did three heli acsents which was just superb -
so yes there is snow still around if you're prepared to go and find it!!

Picture http://www.weatherheads.com/lyngen.jpg shows Sorgalten - The Big
Pig and the Small Pig, which is the small ridge to the left about 350mts
lower, we climbed to the col between the two and then up the ridge to about
900mts then dropped off the back behind the main peak then climbed back up,
quite a technical climb, the ice face was so hard the knives / crampons on
the skis would not cut in - we then arrived about 250 mts to the rightof the
summit on the picture and climbed up the ridge to the summit at just under
1200mts then a superb run down, with a bit of hard packed at the top out
into first class spring snow, and then decended down the gulley towards the
bow of the boat - had to walk out the last 65 m vertical to the becah due to
lack of snow cover - but on the tour the day before we went down to about
10mts above sea level before running out of snow cover!

Regards

WC