Jay Peak, summer

Old June 17th 05, 06:29 PM
Richard Henry

Default Jay Peak, summer

I just reserved a condo at Jay for a week in the summer. Any suggestions
for things to do? It has been a long time since I have been to Jay.

Old June 17th 05, 06:43 PM
VtSkier

Richard Henry wrote:
I just reserved a condo at Jay for a week in the summer. Any suggestions
for things to do? It has been a long time since I have been to Jay.

Rent a cruise or rent a boat on Memphramagog. Goto Magog
City, except for the cars, you'll think you are in Europe.

It's about 35 miles up the lake. From Newport it's 5 miles
to Canada, from there it's 30 miles to Magog. On your way,
you'll see a (ob)ski area on the west side of the lake.

Definitely check out Newport. My favorite restaurant is
now closed (Zack's on the Rocks in Montgomery (boo hoo)).

Newport used to be a depressed area. Former railroad town,
logging, some manufacturing. Now trying to become a tourist
destination with the lake as the draw. Beautiful lake.

Go fishing.

Must be some golf around.

Spend a day in Montreal. Eat a smoked meat sandwich (even
better than deli sandwiches in Manhattan). Go to the Theater,
have tapas at a Spanish restaurant (sangria too).

Hike a bit. I haven't checked, but I'll bet Jay has something
of a summer program. Ride the tram to the top and just gaze
about. Jay sticks up in the middle of nowhere. It's part of
the Greens range, but from a moderate distance of say about
10 miles away, it looks like a monadnock so the view from the
top is GREAT. Mountain bike? Road bike?

VtSkier
Old June 17th 05, 08:41 PM
Richard Henry

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

Any local breweries?

Old June 17th 05, 09:00 PM
VtSkier

Richard Henry wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

The breweries I know about are in Burlington (various
brew-pubs), Middlebury (Magic Hat) and Bridgewater
(Long Trail). May be something available closer to
Jay, but I don't think so. Jay is in the Northeast
Kingdom of Vermont which AFAIK has the lowest population
density of any region in VT which only has a population
of around 600,000 Total, so local brewery support
wouldn't be there and the local rednecks drink bud.
Old June 18th 05, 10:19 AM
Olaf Timandahaff

VtSkier wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

Oh jeez, you probably talk mean about CuBeckers too VtSkier!
[can you imagine?]

There is dough being spent, as I p0st this article, by the Great State
of Vermont extolling the NE Kingdom.

[One time we were just west of St Johnsbury and the X and I saw a guy
in his jockies scratching his balls on the front "porch" and there was
chickens behind him in the house!
I was elated!
the ball n' chain said, "Just like home, eh dip****?
this was getting towards the fag-end of our relationship]

http://twr.mobrien.com/twr/Gerry_Bull.htm

They say there is still remanents of his test gun in Vermont, this
might be interesting for a fellow like Richard; the physics required
to send a projectile into low orbit.

I can see it all now,,,
WANTED:
1 53 year old Washingtonian to be shot out of a cannon,
Must be willing to travel,
Good chance of getting loaded twice a day.

apply to:
R.P.Henry,
General Delivery
North Troy
Vermont

Hey Scotch! wanna go to France?
No passport required!
8-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

No,
Richard will have a wonderful time, even if Sc0ttch doesn't show up
on whatever vile porch he is providing.

Freak #317
Old June 18th 05, 01:49 PM
VtSkier

Olaf Timandahaff wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message

Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

Where did you see that I talked mean about rednecks?

I'll have you know that most of my neighbors and many
of my friends would happily describe themselves as
rednecks. As for CuBeckers, no problem there, have
several in my ancestry.

There is dough being spent, as I p0st this article, by the Great State
of Vermont extolling the NE Kingdom.

[One time we were just west of St Johnsbury and the X and I saw a guy
in his jockies scratching his balls on the front "porch" and there was
chickens behind him in the house!
I was elated!
the ball n' chain said, "Just like home, eh dip****?
this was getting towards the fag-end of our relationship]

My present wife is from the NEKingdom, a truly lovely
part of the world, perhaps because its dearth of that
virus called humanity.

[...]

Yes, Richard will indeed have a wonderful time at Jay
this summer.

The Gerry Bull story is very interesting and I remember
reading about a "super gun" in the likes of Popular
Science or some such many years ago, but why did you
think it appropriate or interesting to bring up here?

VtSkier (the other Richard)
Old June 19th 05, 03:19 AM
Richard Henry

"VtSkier" wrote in message

Yes, Richard will indeed have a wonderful time at Jay
this summer.

The Gerry Bull story is very interesting and I remember
reading about a "super gun" in the likes of Popular
Science or some such many years ago, but why did you
think it appropriate or interesting to bring up here?

In the interests of full disclosure, I must remind everyone that I lived in
the NEK for several years growing up, and that Jay Peak was where I first
paid for a lift ticket. But it has been 5 years since I have been back to
VT (and must over 30 since I have been there in ski season) so I was hoping
for some updated knowledge.

I first heard about the Bull story on one of my visits home, and then he was
in the news for a while. I think there was a PBS Frontline program about
him as well. And one chapter (A Green Mountain Spy Story) in Howard Frank
Mosher's _North Country_ is based on interviews with the Derby Line customs
agent who first busted Bull for illegal arms smuggling. His company had a
factory and test facility that straddled the border near North Troy. They
would bring innocuous material like empty shell casings in the US side, make
them lethal, and then send them to South Africa through Montreal without
ever making a US Customs declaration.

Old June 21st 05, 10:29 AM
Olaf Timandahaff

VtSkier wrote:
Olaf Timandahaff wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message

Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

I made a guess? [really, I don't drink bud]

I'll have you know that most of my neighbors and many
of my friends would happily describe themselves as
rednecks. As for CuBeckers, no problem there, have
several in my ancestry.

Toad
me2

There is dough being spent, as I p0st this article, by the Great State
of Vermont extolling the NE Kingdom.

[One time we were just west of St Johnsbury and the X and I saw a guy
in his jockies scratching his balls on the front "porch" and there was
chickens behind him in the house!
I was elated!
the ball n' chain said, "Just like home, eh dip****?
this was getting towards the fag-end of our relationship]

My present wife is from the NEKingdom, a truly lovely
part of the world, perhaps because its dearth of that
virus called humanity.

You remind me of WC Fields, Richard!

[...]

Derby Line, NE Kingdom as the "viler Richard" noted.
Wouldn't you like to sho0t Sp0ck's ass out of a huge howitzer in
Vermont Nick? Give us easterners a chance to partaay.

"We do not have big glaciated powder covered mountains, but we are
happy to ressurect Gerry's old gun to let a former "Green Mountain
Boy", sh0ot Sp0ck's fat passportless ass to France."

Current sp0t on 93.9 for "Vermont's NE Kingdom"
Old June 22nd 05, 12:55 AM
VtSkier

Olaf Timandahaff wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

(mercy snip)

My present wife is from the NEKingdom, a truly lovely
part of the world, perhaps because its dearth of that
virus called humanity.

You remind me of WC Fields, Richard!

Water? Never touch the stuff, fish...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
WANTED:
1 53 year old Washingtonian to be shot out of a cannon,
Must be willing to travel,
Good chance of getting loaded twice a day.

He'll never get loaded, he's on the wagon, don't y'know!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

No,
Richard will have a wonderful time, even if Sc0ttch doesn't show up
on whatever vile porch he is providing.

Freak #317

Yes, Richard will indeed have a wonderful time at Jay
this summer.

The Gerry Bull story is very interesting and I remember
reading about a "super gun" in the likes of Popular
Science or some such many years ago, but why did you
think it appropriate or interesting to bring up here?

VtSkier (the other Richard)

Derby Line, NE Kingdom as the "viler Richard" noted.
Wouldn't you like to sho0t Sp0ck's ass out of a huge howitzer in
Vermont Nick? Give us easterners a chance to partaay.

I'd certainly like to watch.

"We do not have big glaciated powder covered mountains, but we are
happy to ressurect Gerry's old gun to let a former "Green Mountain
Boy", sh0ot Sp0ck's fat passportless ass to France."

Current sp0t on 93.9 for "Vermont's NE Kingdom"

Olaf, are you in the area somewhere?
Old June 23rd 05, 05:14 PM
Olaf Timandahaff

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:55:35 -0400, VtSkier
wrote:

[~~~]

Olaf, are you in the area somewhere?

Yep, Ottawa.
Nearest decent skiing, [maybe] Tremblant
or
Whiteface.

Most enjoyed natural Air Conditioning?

Top of Smuggler's Notch Road [in summer] ===yes
or
Mt Tremblant [in winter] ===Shackelton ain't in it.

TR: Castle Peak, California USA Booker C. Bense Backcountry Skiing 0 April 20th 05 06:57 PM
Mount Hood Summer Camps Mike T Snowboarding 0 March 14th 05 04:48 PM
summer skiing Will L Alpine Skiing 10 March 18th 04 07:27 AM
Summer snowmaking in Colorado Sam Seiber Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 August 7th 03 12:50 AM
Fwd: [XC] promo for summer ski event Gene Goldenfeld Nordic Skiing 0 July 20th 03 02:44 AM