Need some advanced Excel help

Old June 6th 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Default Need some advanced Excel help

Jeez, I don't pay attention to this place for a week or two, and it's
pretty much identical thread titles to when I left. Anyway, I'm
running Office 2007. Hoping one of you guys can give a hand.

I'm trying to organize some data retrieved off a datalogger. A
measurement was taken on 1 of 8 sampling chambers every 2 hours for a
month. It's taking concentration of CO2 from the chamber. The
measurement device cycles from one chamber to the next, ever 15
minutes, completing the cycle every 2 hrs. A time and datestamp is
recorded as a numerical string for each measurement (from each
chamber).

So I have imported the resulting CSV file into Excel. I need to
organize this data by chamber number (as the column heading). To do
so, I need to retrieve every 8th value from another column and paste
that into the column for each chamber (1-8), so that :

A1, A9, A17 etc.... ------B1, B2, B3.

Any help here? This seems to be beyond what I know how to do. And
Yes, I realize this isn't skiing-related. Sorry.
Old June 6th 11, 01:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Yabahoobs wrote:
[...]

I would have to see text file do not know how your logger is configured
to write the text file
"time","datestamp","data" or
"time","datestamp","c1","c2","c3","c4","c5", etc

The cycle times seems to only collect on chamber 1 or what ever chamber
it was on on the 2 hour mark
Old June 6th 11, 01:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Jun 5, 6:15*pm, downhill wrote:
Yabahoobs wrote:
[...]

I cheated. Adjacent to the column I needed to fish every 8th value
out of, I wrote the numbers 1-8, in repetition. Then I just sorted
the data with the numbers by the number column in ascending order.
Boom. Problem solved. Thanks though !

Old June 6th 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Yabahoobs wrote:
[...]

Cheated? I have done similar things in Excel and called it "expert".
Old June 6th 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 06/05/2011 09:23 PM, Yabahoobs wrote:
On Jun 5, 6:15 pm, wrote:
Yabahoobs wrote:
[...]

I would have tried something like that. I use a spreadsheet to
create polar coordinates from metes and bounds data using
an 80 year old transit and a stadia pole. If anyone understands
what I just wrote please raise your hand.

When I can get my hands on a total station, I can use the
instrument's built-in functions to create the same file of
randomly distributed coordinates without going through the
spread sheet.

It's amazing what you can use a spreadsheet program for.
Old June 6th 11, 02:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 6/5/2011 9:15 PM, downhill wrote:
Yabahoobs wrote:

I'm trying to organize some data retrieved off a datalogger. A
measurement was taken on 1 of 8 sampling chambers every 2 hours for a
month. It's taking concentration of CO2 from the chamber. The
measurement device cycles from one chamber to the next, ever 15
minutes, completing the cycle every 2 hrs. A time and datestamp is
recorded as a numerical string for each measurement (from each
chamber).

So I have imported the resulting CSV file into Excel. I need to
organize this data by chamber number (as the column heading). To do
so, I need to retrieve every 8th value from another column and paste
that into the column for each chamber (1-8), so that :

This is trivial with a relational database that supports SQL. Even M$
Access would be up to the task. That said, it's probably solvable with
Excel, but I wouldn't try to use Excel to do it - too cumbersome and
ill-equipped to do serious number crunching.

I solve problems like this all the time, and my approach is to get the
data into an environment where I can query the data. Excel is just too
quirky to do any real number crunching.

//Walt
Old June 6th 11, 02:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 22:40:08 -0400, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

I would have tried something like that. I use a spreadsheet to
create polar coordinates from metes and bounds data using
an 80 year old transit and a stadia pole. If anyone understands
what I just wrote please raise your hand.

Actually I've been drinking and I understand it. But everyone prefers
Cartesian coordinates.

We all use GPS coordinates.

Vote for Romney.
Old June 6th 11, 03:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Yabahoobs wrote:
On Jun 5, 6:15 pm, wrote:

I'm trying to organize some data retrieved off a datalogger. A
measurement was taken on 1 of 8 sampling chambers every 2 hours for a
month. It's taking concentration of CO2 from the chamber. The
measurement device cycles from one chamber to the next, ever 15
minutes, completing the cycle every 2 hrs. A time and datestamp is
recorded as a numerical string for each measurement (from each
chamber).

Did you get these numbers wrong or did you just want to record one
reading of same chamber every two hours?