Next February half term

Old April 20th 06, 08:30 AM

Default Next February half term

I am looking for somewhere for February 2007 HT as my wife works in
education. A mixed party of 2 good intermediates, 2 not so good
intermediate grandparents(us!!) and 3 small children who will be 5,3 and 1.

Either hotels or apartments are OK, but child minding facilities would be
helpful.

Also ski tuition for the 2 little boys neither of who have skied before or
is 3 too young to start.

Anywhere in Europe is OK. 2 of us will drive with luggage , the rest will
fly out.

I hope all you knowledgeable people can help.

TIA Neil
Old April 20th 06, 03:02 PM

Hi Neil,

Of the places I've been, I'd say Tignes or La Plagne are good
(particularly Monchavin in the latter) - tonnes of intermediate runs to
suit everyone, large established resorts that the child-friendly
operators go to (e.g. Esprit, Mark Warner, Simply (now renamed to
Crystal Finest I think)).

The 3 year old should have no problems getting into Evo2 or ESF ski
schools. Not sure what the parking is like in La Plagne, but we've got
lots of underground parking in Tignes for about 70Euros a week. It's
about a 12 hour drive from SE England if the traffic's not too bad.

A good number of Hotels and Apartments in Tignes, and I think the main
parts of La Plagne - From what I remember Monchavin was more
tour-operator/chalet based. Quite small so less choice.

There's certainly private child minding in Tignes. Assuming we're back
next year I'd recommend my wife, but she's my wife, so I'm really
biased - apologies to anyone who thinks that's blatant advertising and
doesn't like it :-)

Whatever you decide, I've heard that some places are getting booked up
for next HT already, so don't leave it too long. And book your child
care early as well - my other half had to turn down loads of work in
the run up to all the school holidays.

Good luck!

Matt

Old April 20th 06, 09:51 PM

Half Term in the UK varies between the North and South. In the North I
believe it starts 10th Feb, whereas in the South its 17th Feb. The whole of
Europe has school holidays during Feb, so the whole month tends to be quite
busy everywhere.

Interestingly, the UK Inghams ski brochure dramatically escalates prices for
both weeks. However, Thomson and Crystal only escalate the price for 10th
Feb. Maybe their second edition brochures will increase prices?

I have been back in England for 1 year, after 18 years away - most spent in
Munich, less than 1 hours drive to Kitzbühel etc. The European hoteliers do
put there prices up - very slightly - for February, but certainly nowhere as
much as the holiday companies.

As for where to go? I always believe that Austria and Switzerland (which I
prefer) are less crowded than France. However, please bear in mind that
Munich (and many other big cities) are so close to the Tirol, that resorts
become very busy at weekends. For Switzerland I always like Zermatt - I have
been there yearly for 20 years. In Austria I like Scheffau, Obertauern and
Ischgl.

At age three, I either skied with my daughter between my legs, or put her
into kindergarten (Paradies in Zermatt). At age 5, you should be able to get
a ski school - my daughter was in Snowflakes (Stoked) Ski School in Zermatt.

As for driving, the German autobahns in February (Saturdays) are very, very
busy: the whole of Europe attempts to drive through Munich on the way to
Austria and Italy. The routes to switzerland will be easier. A better option
would be to drive as far as Munich on Friday, aiming to get to a hotel in a
small town like Holzkirchen during Friday afternoon. Then drive into Austria
on Saturday (early, to be in advance of the rush).

Paul

newsp.s8aslkweygvclg@acer-684c9a655d...