Ski Magazines

Old September 10th 03, 08:28 PM
Ste Smith

Default Ski Magazines

I've noticed that the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard magazines has just been
published for the first time this season. Does anyone know when the first
edition of the Ski Club GB "Snow and Board" magazine is due to come out?

Ta.
Ste.

Old September 10th 03, 09:37 PM
The Older Gentleman

Who cares? They're all utter ****e.

--
Trophy 1200 750SS CB400F TS150 ST70 YTC#3
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 IHABWTJ#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 OSOS#1
Old September 11th 03, 11:35 AM
Steve

The Older Gentleman wrote:
Ste Smith wrote:

I've noticed that the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard magazines has just been
published for the first time this season. Does anyone know when the first
edition of the Ski Club GB "Snow and Board" magazine is due to come out?

Who cares? They're all utter ****e.

Agreed. If you want a decent ski magazine you'll have to hunt down the
US magazine Powder, or subscribe on the web (www.powdermag.com). Good
articles (although obviously with a North American focus) and fantastic
photos.

For some reason I bought the Daily Mail magazine. Facinating article
about skiing in the Rockies with "10 things you didn't know about the
Banff". On closer inspection it should have read "10 things we made up
about Banff which aren't actually true". For example, according to the
Daily Mail magazine you can't make snowballs out of the snow in the
Canadian Rockies - not true, we had a fantastic and very juvenile
snowball fight on Lake Louise and the snow was excellent for snowball
making. They also claimed that bears are a danger... not during the ski
season they're not, they are all asleep. I could go on, they did.

Old September 11th 03, 06:46 PM
David Off

Steve wrote:
The Older Gentleman wrote:

Ste Smith wrote:

I've noticed that the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard magazines has just
been
published for the first time this season. Does anyone know when the
first
edition of the Ski Club GB "Snow and Board" magazine is due to come out?

Who cares? They're all utter ****e.

Agreed. If you want a decent ski magazine you'll have to hunt down the
US magazine Powder, or subscribe on the web (www.powdermag.com). Good
articles (although obviously with a North American focus) and fantastic
photos.

For some reason I bought the Daily Mail magazine.

Like much of the British press they probably just get there info of the Web.

Old September 11th 03, 09:03 PM
The Older Gentleman

David Off wrote:

Like much of the British press they probably just get there info of the Web.

As long as they don't get there spelling of you.

British ski mags are ****. Utter steaming poo. Partly this is because
they don't have the budget or the readership: you can only produce two,
maybe three, decent profitable issues in a season.

People read ski mags when they're thinking of going skiing, when they're
contemplating their nice shiny kit, and when they've come back after
their week or two, the kit goes in the attic or garage, and they forget
about it for another year.

The limited budget means that they can't afford to buy or use decent
writers and photographers, so what you get is a product that's nailed
together by keen amateurs. Not so bad in itself, but when you combine
keen amateurs with low budgets, an essentially amateur and
undiscriminating readership, an incredibly short selling season, and
relatively low written and visual standards you wind up with.....

....piles of poo.

Old September 11th 03, 09:06 PM
Alex Heney

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:35:34 +0100, Steve
wrote:

snip

For some reason I bought the Daily Mail magazine. Facinating article
about skiing in the Rockies with "10 things you didn't know about the
Banff". On closer inspection it should have read "10 things we made up
about Banff which aren't actually true". For example, according to the
Daily Mail magazine you can't make snowballs out of the snow in the
Canadian Rockies - not true, we had a fantastic and very juvenile
snowball fight on Lake Louise and the snow was excellent for snowball
making.

When was that?

When I was there in March last year ( a trip I won through a
competition in that magazine), my daughter and I tried, and never
succeeded in making any that would hold together well enough.

beginning or end of the season might have been different, but it was
just too cold when we were there.

They also claimed that bears are a danger... not during the ski
season they're not, they are all asleep.

No they didn't.

They mention the fact that bears are always near, without saying they
are dangerous, and that one walked down the main street a couple of
*summers* ago. No mention of them being out and about in the winter,
or of them being a danger.

Like most of their articles, it was pretty shallow, but I didn't see
anything in it that I *know* to be wrong.

I will say, I wouldn't buy it if it weren't for the competitions
though.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Keyboard Not Found - Press [F1] to Continue

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old September 12th 03, 09:42 PM
Steve

Ste Smith wrote:

Thanks for your informed opinion - I couldn't give two shiney ****s what
you think. If I wanted to know what you thought of the quality of the
journalism in the Winter Sport publication sector I would have asked for
just that.

Ah, the benefit of Usenet, you get answers to questions you never asked,
and all the sarcasm and cynicism is thrown in for free. I wouldn;t take
it personaly, and I wouldn't bank on getting a straight answer soon...

Old September 13th 03, 04:05 AM
PG

"The Older Gentleman" wrote in
message
news:1g174wj.11g6xj219zvxj4N%chateau.murrayNOSPAM@ dsl.pipex.com...
Ste Smith wrote:

I've noticed that the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard magazines has
just been
published for the first time this season. Does anyone know when

the
first edition of the Ski Club GB "Snow and Board" magazine is due

come out?

Who cares? They're all utter ****e.

Thanks for your informed opinion - I couldn't give two shiney ****s

what
you think. If I wanted to know what you thought of the quality of

the
journalism in the Winter Sport publication sector I would have asked

for
just that.

I'll try again. Does anyone know when the "Ski and Board" magazine

from
the Ski Club of GB is due to be published?

Who cares? It's utter ****e.

You're a member then?

Pete
www.grasski.org

Old September 13th 03, 12:33 PM
Neil Swingler

"PG" wrote in message

"The Older Gentleman" wrote in
message
news:1g174wj.11g6xj219zvxj4N%chateau.murrayNOSPAM@ dsl.pipex.com...
Ste Smith wrote:

snip
I'll try again. Does anyone know when the "Ski and Board" magazine

from
the Ski Club of GB is due to be published?

Who cares? It's utter ****e.

You're a member then?

Well I'm a member and find the mag to be a reasonable read. It is a vast
improvement
on the glorified holiday brochures that the other mags make. I guess it will
be coming
out soon. The membership pack came this week.

I do wish they would drop the teen snowboarder bits though. I doubt that the
target
audience will ever read it. Mind you English language boarding mags are even
worse.

--
Neil (mature snowboarder)