Whistler Peak to Peak Gondola

Old August 5th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Gilbert Baron

Default Whistler Peak to Peak Gondola

How many think this thing will really open this winter? if It does I
want to go although I don't have anyone to go with. My wife does not
ski.
I think mid February is the best time for avoiding the rain, no?

It costs a :LOT for singles.
Old August 5th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

Gilbert Baron wrote:
How many think this thing will really open this winter?

Why would I spend time on a gondola that
gains no elevation.

if It does I
want to go although I don't have anyone to go with. My wife does not
ski.

Can she shop?
I expect you will find lots of people
there that do ski.

I think mid February is the best time for avoiding the rain, no?

Probably. It can be foggy anytime.
March is better for sunshine.

It costs a :LOT for singles.

If you want a cheaper room, go to salt lake city.

-- Mike Treseler

Old August 6th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Mike Treseler wrote:
Gilbert Baron wrote:
How many think this thing will really open this winter?

Why would I spend time on a gondola that
gains no elevation.

That's an obvious question. Here's a partial answer: It's spring and
only the top half of the mountain is open. You spend the AM on Whistler
and decide to spend the afternoon on Blackcomb. As it is now, you have
to download to the base and then take a gondola up to the *bottom* of
the skiable terrain, spending time on *two* gondolas that gain no
elevation. The new thing might save some time.

That said, it still seems like a waste of lift capacity. But they don't
build this kind of stuff for me.

if It does I
want to go although I don't have anyone to go with. My wife does not
ski.

My wife went to the dump and watched eagles and bears while I skied.
She's more eager to go back than I am.

//Walt
Old August 6th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

Walt wrote:
Mike Treseler wrote:
Why would I spend time on a gondola that
gains no elevation.

As it is now, you have
to download to the base and then take a gondola up to the *bottom* of
the skiable terrain, spending time on *two* gondolas that gain no
elevation. The new thing might save some time.
That said, it still seems like a waste of lift capacity.

It's a marketing thing, not a skiing thing.
I ski top 1 on day 1 and top 2 on day 2.
There's plenty of places to go, and the
weather is too variable to schedule a
one-day trip anyway.

My wife went to the dump and watched eagles and bears while I skied.

My wife signed for a snowshoe outing
and had a great time.

She's more eager to go back than I am.

I hear you.
I think I've had about enough of those winter-disney crowds.

-- Mike Treseler
Old August 6th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Gilbert Baron wrote:
How many think this thing will really open this winter? if It does I
want to go although I don't have anyone to go with. My wife does not
ski.
I think mid February is the best time for avoiding the rain, no?

It costs a :LOT for singles.

The Peak to Peak gondola is scheduled to open in December 2008, not
this coming winter.

http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/p2p....html#download

"WHISTLER, BC, April 17, 2007 - Whistler Blackcomb, a mountain resort
already renowned for daring innovation, has announced its boldest move
yet with the construction of the Peak to Peak Gondola, for completion
December 2008. The two mountains will be united by a gondola that will
set world records for length and height while providing an unmatched
experience for winter and summer resort guests."

Old August 7th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Aug 4, 6:37 pm, Gilbert Baron wrote:
How many think this thing will really open this winter? if It does I
want to go although I don't have anyone to go with. My wife does not
ski.
I think mid February is the best time for avoiding the rain, no?

It costs a :LOT for singles.

Tourist ride. They will make more money off it in the summer than the
winter. I highly doubt many skiers will use it: I sure as hell
won't. Why bother? Plenty to do on each mountain.

Old August 7th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mighty Chris

The more **** they put in Whistler to distract the tourists, the
better. That new lift on Whistler this year kept the crowds WAY down
on the Peak chair compared to before, IMO.

Chris

Old August 7th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Aug 6, 6:47 pm, Mighty Chris wrote:
The more **** they put in Whistler to distract the tourists, the
better. That new lift on Whistler this year kept the crowds WAY down
on the Peak chair compared to before, IMO.

Chris

Didn't get a chance to ski it, down for a couple days when I was up.
They could have put some money into upgrading the Peak to a six
pack.....along with Harmony. Crowds have gotten really bad the last
five years, I pretty much only ski there early and late.

Old August 7th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_5_]

twobuddha wrote:
On Aug 6, 6:47 pm, Mighty Chris wrote:
The more **** they put in Whistler to distract the tourists, the
better. That new lift on Whistler this year kept the crowds WAY down
on the Peak chair compared to before, IMO.

Chris

Didn't get a chance to ski it, down for a couple days when I was up.
They could have put some money into upgrading the Peak to a six
pack.....along with Harmony. Crowds have gotten really bad the last
five years, I pretty much only ski there early and late.

You think 6-packs reduce crowd levels?

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old August 7th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant.

On Aug 7, 10:07 pm, "ant" wrote:
twobuddha wrote:
On Aug 6, 6:47 pm, Mighty Chris wrote:
The more **** they put in Whistler to distract the tourists, the
better. That new lift on Whistler this year kept the crowds WAY down
on the Peak chair compared to before, IMO.

Chris

Didn't get a chance to ski it, down for a couple days when I was up.
They could have put some money into upgrading the Peak to a six
pack.....along with Harmony. Crowds have gotten really bad the last
five years, I pretty much only ski there early and late.

You think 6-packs reduce crowd levels?

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:
I'm borrowing that of the latest
scammer/spammer

Sorry, I had you in my kill file but who knows what an obsessive love
(some call it stalking) does right?