free or cheap food recipes

Old January 10th 05, 04:17 PM
skier150

Default free or cheap food recipes

I'm sure there are many different ways to make a good meal with no
money, or little money. I am only familiar with two different ways:

Buy a package of ramen (around 10 cents at a local Wal-Mart), get two
free cups from ski resort cafeteria, fill one cup with hot water
(usually free or cheap) and leave the other cup empty, crush the ramen
brick up into the empty cup and add hot water stir with spoon until
noodles softened to your preference, then add flavor package, stir, and
enjoy.

Another way doesn't sound to good but really is very tasty. I call it
the hobo sandwich. You get free crackers from the cafeteria and free
sliced pickles and free mayonnaise (or ranch) and put the mayo or ranch
on the crackers then put sliced pickles on other cracker, sandwich
together and enjoy.

These are the only recipes I know of. Please let me know if you know
of any other free or cheap food recipes.

Old January 10th 05, 09:53 PM
Mary Malmros

Ramen's cheap, all right, but calling it "food" is a stretch.
Practically zilch nutritional value, pure empty calories.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 11th 05, 03:11 PM
David Brown :o\)

Go to a nice restaurant, eat and drink all you want, then do a runner.

--
kitemap
http://ugcc.co.uk

Old January 12th 05, 04:10 PM
Norm

"David Brown )" wrote in message
Go to a nice restaurant, eat and drink all you want, then do a runner.

Bonus, sometimes results in free accommodation as well.

Old January 12th 05, 05:06 PM
skier150

I'm looking for legal ways here.

Old January 12th 05, 06:35 PM
Black Metal Martha

skier150 wrote:
I'm looking for legal ways here.

OK, how about finding a grocery store or general store and buying
things like french bread, cheap cheese, cold cuts, pieces of fruit,
etc. Avoid the restaurants and snack bars.

Martha

Old January 12th 05, 06:42 PM
Walt

Black Metal Martha wrote:
skier150 wrote:

I'm looking for legal ways here.

OK, how about finding a grocery store or general store and buying
things like french bread, cheap cheese, cold cuts, pieces of fruit,
etc. Avoid the restaurants and snack bars.

Even cheaper to go around back and pull the dented cans out of the
dumster. If you're really ambitious you can dent the cans you like in
the store and wait for them to show up in the dumster in a day or two.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 12th 05, 09:57 PM
Mary Malmros

skier150 wrote:

I'm looking for legal ways here.

It ain't the recipes. Just learn how to cook. Making stuff from
scratch is really pretty cheap -- it's when you try to live off pizzas
and frozen dinners and other packaged pre-prepared foods that it gets
expensive.

Old January 13th 05, 03:43 AM
ant

"Walt" wrote in message news:05fFd.175

If you're really ambitious you can dent the cans you like in the store
and wait for them to show up in the dumster in a day or two.

Does this work? You are giving me ideas!

ant

Old January 13th 05, 03:56 AM
Jim Strohm

Walt wrote:

Black Metal Martha wrote:

Even cheaper to go around back and pull the dented cans out of the
dumster. If you're really ambitious you can dent the cans you like in
the store and wait for them to show up in the dumster in a day or two.

And (as if) I thought I was the only person on here who admitted to
dumpster-diving.

Well, I won't put THAT technique in my next cookbook, but it's worth
considering -- a lot of food gets pitched out because it's past its
expiration date but it's still OK to eat.

In ski places, outdoors is a better 'frigerator than the walk-in cooler
indoors.

I won't do the dented can thing, though.

Everybody, please buy my soon-to-be-published book "Avalanche!" It's
recipes for skiiers, from skiiers.