Best pant for very cold and windy conditions - windproof front and back, or windproof front only?

Old October 4th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Default Best pant for very cold and windy conditions - windproof front and back, or windproof front only?

What's been your experience - which softshell pant will work best for
stop and go (go active, such as x country ski, snowshoe and backpack)
in very cold windy conditions- a pant that is fully windproof, front
and back, such as the Arcteryx Gamma MX pant, or one that is windproof
in front but not in the back, such as the Golite Propel (was in their
last winter line), Patagonia Wind Track pants or Cold Track pants (the
cold track is windproof in front over the quadriceps while the Wind
Track is windproof along the whole front of the pant) and various
Nordic ski pants from Craft, Swix and other manufacturers?

Appreciate it if you could recommend your favorite pants in both
categories - I'd like to check them out. I prefer pants to tights.
I've experienced conditions where fully windproof would be best, but
most of the time I think just windproof in front with good but
breathable insulation in back works best.

Old October 4th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Oct 4, 2:25 pm, mountainwalker wrote:
[...]

A good combination is a Sporthill XC-Pant or similar (they have some
relaxed fit versions) with their 3SP fabric. It's not lined but the
tight weave is pretty wind blocking and as good as they claim. Then
if it's really windy and/or you are really doing a lot of stopping,
add wind resistant windpants (i.e. tight woven but not water proof)
over the XC-Pant. The layering gives you a lot more control over on
single unit solution.

Old October 5th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

A lot of this is personal taste and there are plenty of options out
there, alone or in combination. I like the looser fitting models, both
for the nonbinding feel, greater warmth(?), and so I don't have to
worry about undergarments bunching up around the knees. The Sporthill
(Mile Marker) Voyage pant, their warmer XC/3SP ones, and the Hind
Munich are my favorites. I always wear long johns to collect the
perspiration and help keep the outer layer wearable between washes
(and they permit use of a lighter outer layer than the temp might
otherwise allow). Going down the temperature scale, I like Terramar
silk, Terramar Body Senors and Craft Pro, the latter having an extra
layer in front (others are REI light and midweight, and Patagonia
capalene). Alternatively, if it's really cold, wind or not, and I'm
going to be going slow or standing around some, I'll switch over to the
Craft Men's Touring pants, which are like a warm up pant, with a brushed
lining that's really comfortable, and at $70 is one of the best deals
around for colder areas. Do expect the European brands to cost more,
given the dollar.

RM

Old October 5th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

mountainwalker wrote:
[...]

breathable insulation in back works best.- Hide quoted text -

The Sporthill 3SP pants are warm enough, esp with wind pants, down to
-35C if it isn't too windy without added insulaton. But that said, I
have used lightweight REI MTS or Patagonia silkweights under the XC
Pant on multi-day hut to hut tours. The lightweight long underwear
will rinse and dry overnight in the drying rooms.

Old October 5th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

Another good option from Sporthill are their windsheild pants. They are
light weight fleece with a windproof front. I find them comfortable in a
very broad temp range. Full side zips and two zippered front pockets.

Dave
oups.com...

Old October 9th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Oct 4, 5:25 pm, mountainwalker wrote:
What's been your experience - which softshell pant will work best for
stop and go (go active, such as x country ski, snowshoe and backpack)

I've no experience w/ Arcteryx, Patagonia, or Golite but have many
pieces of Swix, Sporthill and Craft clothing. The Craft stuff is far
and away the best I've worn, both for fit and performance. I wear the
Craft windfront / stretchback pants almost exclusively now; if the
temps fall to below zero, I'll put on a light lycra tight underneath.
The tops are like wearing skintight heating units, in fact I rarely
can wear the windblock tops except when road biking early or late in
the season.

I looked at at Craft catalog yesterday and they seem to have 4 levels
of "Pro-Fit" clothing based on air temp and exertion. I usually wear
last year's models, 'cause I buy the stuff on closeout from different
places!

- Bob

Old October 10th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

The latest SierraTradingPost.com has Sporthill 3SP tops and bottoms for
$55-60, and Craft winter tights for $45. Also Terramar silk and
thermawool underwear.

Old October 11th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Oct 10, 5:44 pm, wrote:
The latest SierraTradingPost.com has Sporthill 3SP tops and bottoms for
$55-60, and Craft winter tights for $45.

True, but for some reason when I bought the Craft pants, they got
marked down to $ 35. These are a lightweight, non-wind front pant but
they are perfect for what I was after. The Sporthill stuff now seems
to only be available in wicked small & large sizes.

- Bob

Old October 12th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

I have some pants with windstopper front and a lycra back. The
windstopper is actually too warm...too good at stopping wind, so the
pants are only good for really cold weather like -10F and wind. They
might be better for cycling, but I haven't used them for that. I have
a pair of Swix warm up pants with the nylon front and lycra back, and
those are very useable, but on the warm side for most skiing. Good for
cold weather. I have some old cycling pants with the side idea,
originally from Performance Bike, and I skied in those for years.
Great for anything under about 25 F.

Jay