Is google groups better now?

Old June 1st 06, 03:07 PM

Default Is google groups better now?

I have started accessing rsa through google groups (groups.google.com)
this week because 1) my local ISP dropped rsa when they picked up rsam
(yes, I have complained) 2) my news.individual.net one-year
subscription that I started last year when I was out of town for a
while has expired.

I avoided google groups last year becuse of its ugly web interface and
clumsy post-quoting method. However, things seem to be better now.

Any other google-group-to-rsa participants out there?

Old June 1st 06, 05:18 PM

Richard Henry wrote:

I avoided google groups last year becuse of its ugly web interface and
clumsy post-quoting method. However, things seem to be better now.

A little better.
Google groups is useful for searches,
but it still mangles/hides text and quotes.
Resubscribe to news.individual.net for
the price of a six-pack of IPA.

-- Mike Treseler
Old June 2nd 06, 04:01 PM

Richard Henry wrote:

I have started accessing rsa through google groups (groups.google.com)
this week because 1) my local ISP dropped rsa when they picked up rsam
(yes, I have complained) 2) my news.individual.net one-year
subscription that I started last year when I was out of town for a
while has expired.

I avoided google groups last year becuse of its ugly web interface and
clumsy post-quoting method. However, things seem to be better now.

Nah, it still sucks, and most of the people posting from it don't know
how to properly quote so you get all these newbyesque posts with no
context. It's a great archive, but a lousy way to participate - for one
thing you can't see what you've read and what you haven't, and for
another you can't sort by date and see the posts in chronological order.
My guess is that eventually Google will have a usable usenet
interface, but it's not soup yet.

But congratulations on the new email address. Hopefully you can refrain
from talking about my least favorite subject enough to remain out of the
killfile.

BTW, one of my isp's dropped usenet altogether, and my other isp is so
inept that their newsserver is always broken. To make a long story short
I found myself in the market for a new newsfeed. After doing a bit of
research I found Forte News Service for about 3 bucks a month and so far
I'm pretty happy with it.

Now, I'll just wait patiently for the return of [ob] snow.

//Walt

Old June 2nd 06, 07:06 PM

Walt wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

I tried to renew my nin account, but the payment broker (click&buy)
said my account was "inactive" and gave me no clue how to correct that
situation. I had a similar problem with eBay and PayPal (PayPal said
my account was unusable, and I couldn't add my other credit card to my
account because my wife already had it on hers). The problem was
solved by entering the new expiration date of the credit card in
question. I imagine the click&buy problem is the same, but there is no
method given how to solve it.

But congratulations on the new email address. Hopefully you can refrain
from talking about my least favorite subject enough to remain out of the
killfile.

You mean like:

It has been over 27 months, and I'm still not in jail.

Old June 2nd 06, 09:37 PM

Richard Henry wrote:

I imagine the click&buy problem is the same, but there is no
method given how to solve it.

But you could just open a new account.
Costs the same 10 EUR.
http://news.individual.net/register.php

-- Mike Treseler
Old June 3rd 06, 02:09 AM

Walt wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

I have started accessing rsa through google groups (groups.google.com)
this week because 1) my local ISP dropped rsa when they picked up rsam
(yes, I have complained) 2) my news.individual.net one-year
subscription that I started last year when I was out of town for a
while has expired.

I avoided google groups last year becuse of its ugly web interface and
clumsy post-quoting method. However, things seem to be better now.

Wrong! Moreover, the users think they're right. Just like AOL all over
again. At least I haven't seen anybody wondering where to find the warez.

BTW, one of my isp's dropped usenet altogether, and my other isp is so
inept that their newsserver is always broken. To make a long story short
I found myself in the market for a new newsfeed. After doing a bit of
research I found Forte News Service for about 3 bucks a month and so far
I'm pretty happy with it.

Charter subs out its news service to somebody called highwinds. They
inexplicably dropped, among other groups, rec.humor.funny and
rec.skiing.announce. They know they did it, they just don't know how to
fix the problem. Sounds odd, eh?

Now, I'll just wait patiently for the return of [ob] snow.

Yeah. How long can summer last, anyway?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 3rd 06, 03:47 PM

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:09:39 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

Walt wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

I believe that's:
http://www.1usenet.com/ afaik they are an NNTPServer reseller.
They suspended my posting ability for "spamming"
[spamming is apparently also defined as teasing Richard Scoville]

Old June 3rd 06, 10:24 PM

Walt wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

It's these guys. http://www.highwinds-media.com/media/

They've answered email and worked to fix stuff, which eventually gets
fixed, but they never really explain. My personal belief is that it
just takes a while to figure out who tripped and pulled what cord out of
which wall. I just noticed that r.h.f. is back, although it has no new
messages -- which is clearly an error. Still...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 5th 06, 01:11 AM

Walt wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

That probably doesn't make pond scum very happy. ;-)

Old June 7th 06, 06:53 AM

In article ,
says...

Walt wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

[...]

That was the IP. [High Winds Media] that 1usenet used.
I was "suspended" that's for sure.

Google Earth and ski area viewing Paul-S8 European Ski Resorts 63 November 16th 16 10:56 AM
Google groups and SA [email protected] Alpine Skiing 4 December 17th 04 06:48 PM
Google Groups uglymoney Alpine Skiing 1 December 7th 04 10:52 PM
Wave Starts by age groups Erik Brooks Nordic Skiing 0 January 23rd 04 03:16 PM
Google Usenet Group Problem Tim Dudley Nordic Skiing 0 October 1st 03 01:52 PM