Steira forced to stop.

Old March 20th 06, 03:21 PM

Default Steira forced to stop.

In the newspaper today: The norwegian womens new trainer forced Steira to
reduce the speed in order to help Bjørgen win the world cup. In my opinion,
it would have been better if she had continued on full speed, giving herself
a chance to win and a possibility that Scott would hit the wall.

I didn't think that trainers could order the skiers not to win; that is bad
sportsmanship and unjust. Do not listen to the trainers in such cases, and
chose another trainer.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old March 20th 06, 04:37 PM

Well, if the action pays for next season's training and travelling...
For me it would depend on the race, and my own carreer. A certain first WC
win in the last race for a arting sponsor, I'd not easy "sell". New sponsor,
good pay...it's not sportive, but there will be other races. Knowing I can
win was always as good as the winning itself. I look at my level, not just
my results. I sport for myself, not the audience.

Did the trainer discuss it in advance, or did he come up with the idea
during the race itself, when Steira was doing better than anticipated,
perhaps?

"Terje Henriksen" schreef in bericht

Old March 20th 06, 07:30 PM

Team strategies are not unheard of in cross country skiing and they
are, of course, an essential part of cycling.

Old March 20th 06, 07:36 PM

What newspaper?

"Terje Henriksen" wrote:

In the newspaper today: The norwegian womens new trainer forced
Steira to reduce the speed in order to help Bj=F8rgen win the world
cup. In my opinion, it would have been better if she had continued on
full speed, giving herself a chance to win and a possibility that
Scott would hit the wall.
=20
I didn't think that trainers could order the skiers not to win; that
is bad sportsmanship and unjust. Do not listen to the trainers in
such cases, and chose another trainer.
=20
--=20
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes=20
=20
=20

Old March 20th 06, 09:07 PM

"Terje Henriksen" wrote in message
In the newspaper today: The norwegian womens new trainer forced Steira to
reduce the speed in order to help Bjørgen win the world cup. In my

opinion,
it would have been better if she had continued on full speed, giving

herself
a chance to win and a possibility that Scott would hit the wall.

I didn't think that trainers could order the skiers not to win; that is

bad
sportsmanship and unjust. Do not listen to the trainers in such cases, and
chose another trainer.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

I read Bjorgen came in at 5th. Would 6th place finish knock Bjorgen off
overall Worldcup title? Did Steira have a real chance at overtaking Scott?

Old March 20th 06, 09:27 PM

ellis wrote:
"Terje Henriksen" wrote in message
In the newspaper today: The norwegian womens new trainer forced Steira to
reduce the speed in order to help Bjørgen win the world cup. In my

opinion,
it would have been better if she had continued on full speed, giving

herself
a chance to win and a possibility that Scott would hit the wall.

I didn't think that trainers could order the skiers not to win; that is

bad
sportsmanship and unjust. Do not listen to the trainers in such cases, and
chose another trainer.

I read Bjorgen came in at 5th. Would 6th place finish knock Bjorgen off
overall Worldcup title? Did Steira have a real chance at overtaking Scott?

Bjørgen was 4th, I think she must have been outside the top 10 to drop
the title.

On NRK the coach said that they had discussed tactics before the race,
making sureBjørgen retained the cup which she had lead the entire season
was priority 1.

Steira was welcome to try to win, but not to do all the work for Scott,
trying to pull ahead.

Terje
--
-
Old March 20th 06, 10:30 PM

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
Well, if the action pays for next season's training and travelling...
For me it would depend on the race, and my own carreer. A certain
first WC win in the last race for a arting sponsor, I'd not easy
"sell". New sponsor, good pay...it's not sportive, but there will be
other races. Knowing I can win was always as good as the winning
itself. I look at my level, not just my results. I sport for myself,
not the audience.

Did the trainer discuss it in advance, or did he come up with the idea
during the race itself, when Steira was doing better than anticipated,
perhaps?

It was discussed the evening before, and the trainer had said that the most
importent thing was for Bjørgen to win the world cup.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old March 20th 06, 10:35 PM

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

"Terje Henriksen" wrote:

In the newspaper today: The norwegian womens new trainer forced
Steira to reduce the speed in order to help Bjørgen win the world
cup. In my opinion, it would have been better if she had continued on
full speed, giving herself a chance to win and a possibility that
Scott would hit the wall.

I didn't think that trainers could order the skiers not to win; that
is bad sportsmanship and unjust. Do not listen to the trainers in
such cases, and chose another trainer.

What newspaper?

Finnmarken, local area newspaper form the area where Steira has grown up.
Maybe you can find it on the internet.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old March 20th 06, 10:52 PM

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
ellis wrote:
[...]

Well, that makes sense from Norwegian team's point of view. If the coach
had told Steira outright during a leg of the race, Don't win the race, that
is outrageous, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. Steira came in
just 1.80sec behind Scott, so it does look like Steira gave it her best at
the finish line.

Old March 20th 06, 11:38 PM

Two places down, 9.3 seconds on the finish list would have changed the
final results (-20 points).

Gene

Terje Mathisen wrote:

Bj=F8rgen was 4th, I think she must have been outside the top 10 to
drop the title.
=20
On NRK the coach said that they had discussed tactics before the
race, making sureBj=F8rgen retained the cup which she had lead the