Intuitiv 74 vs Legend 8200

Old April 19th 05, 06:00 PM

In article
,
wrote:

Very strange, indeed. In the catalogue 2004-05 they say 116-63-103...
But in the recent 'sale' catalogue - 114-75-102.
I will check it in the shop next time.

I did check. 114-75-102 (written on the tail)...

TA
Old April 20th 05, 06:31 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article ,
Uli Hausmann wrote:
Booker C. Bense schrieb:

_ The 6200 looks to be the same ski at the 4800, just without the
binding plate. I haven't skied it, but I think the 4800 would be
a fairly decent AT ski with it's light weight and soft flex.

The 6200 is with (half) plate. There is also a 6200 RED without plate.
Many alpine guides in "my" parts of the Alps use the 4800 with Dynafit
as lightweight randonee equipment (for hut-to-hut tours like Haute Route
for example).

Seemed a good ski to me.

_ Yes. Kind of a refreshing change from what you normally see in
alpine shops these days. It's either twin tips or something with
a weird integrated plate that you can only use one binding on.

Light skis get throw around by the crud though. I came very close
to getting a pair with Dynafits for the spring corn harvest, but
decided to go with a pair of Fischer T-Stix Stingrays, since they
are even lighter and have a snappier flex.

Possible. But the Stingray (Mustang?) probably is a little bit worse
when it comes to very steep and hard (frozen) shapes - and you have to
go a little bit in derapage (speaking in tele-terms here, obviously).

_ Language Barrier. I have no idea what you are talking about. I
took my Stingrays[1] out for a quick tour yesterday in conditions
that varied from windblown powder to hard crust to 8 inches of
slush and I really like them. No telemarking though as I put
dynafit's on them.

Personally, i'm still looking for a good tele-touring ski. Actually, i'm
using the Stockli Stormrider Pit, which is really light and snappy as
well - but a little bit too small (and short for me. 172. The
alternative 182 would be too long)

_ I think you have a different notion of tele-touring than I
do. IMHO, the Fischer Boundless is pretty much far and away the
best turn and tour compromise ski I've ever skied. I didn't know
Stockli made AT skis, all we see in the USA are the very beefy
Stormrider XL's.

_ Booker C. Bense

[1]- Stingray's are the 75mm wide ones ( i.e. big stix 75 )
Mustangs are the 86mm wide ones. ( i.e big stix 84 or 86 ).

Old April 20th 05, 07:47 PM
Uli Hausmann

Booker C. Bense schrieb:

_ Language Barrier. I have no idea what you are talking about. I
took my Stingrays[1] out for a quick tour yesterday in conditions
that varied from windblown powder to hard crust to 8 inches of
slush and I really like them. No telemarking though as I put
dynafit's on them.

Well, what i wanted to say is this: Immagine a steep face (40° or more)
with hard snow and moguls and with several 100 m ravine beneath (in
othere words: a no fall situation) you have to traverse in slight
descent. There, at least me, with free heels i have to be very cautious
and to use derapage, instead of - risky - turns. In such conditions,
which are not so rare at least in our, alpine, ski randonee, a very fat
and soft ski would be rather unstable and not so trusty. (1)

Personally, i'm still looking for a good tele-touring ski. Actually, i'm
using the Stockli Stormrider Pit, which is really light and snappy as
well - but a little bit too small (and short for me. 172. The
alternative 182 would be too long)

_ I think you have a different notion of tele-touring than I
do.

Yep. There's pretty much a difference. What i do in tele-touring is
pretty much the same what others do with alpine randonee equipment.
Recently, i did a part of the Haute Route (from Verbier or Chamonix to
Zermatt).

IMHO, the Fischer Boundless is pretty much far and away the
best turn and tour compromise ski I've ever skied. I didn't know
Stockli made AT skis, all we see in the USA are the very beefy
Stormrider XL's.

The Fischer Boundless for such touring wouldn't be that good idea.

As for the Stoeckli Stormrider Pit look he
http://www.stoeckli.ch/skiselect.asp?query=tour&lng=en
It's, despite the relative lightweight a pretty snappy ski. But as i
said, a little bit short and small for my taste.

I do not find the Stormrider XL so beefy and i'm thinking about to mount
on it a Telemark Easy GO adapter and to use it for touring :-)

[1]- Stingray's are the 75mm wide ones ( i.e. big stix 75 )
Mustangs are the 86mm wide ones. ( i.e big stix 84 or 86 ).

You're right.

Greetings,

Ulrich

(1)
http://www.funivie.org/pagine/funiga...fa_verbier.jpg
The couloir on the left side of the cableway station.
Old April 21st 05, 06:43 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article ,
Uli Hausmann wrote:
Booker C. Bense schrieb:

_ Language Barrier. I have no idea what you are talking about. I
took my Stingrays[1] out for a quick tour yesterday in conditions
that varied from windblown powder to hard crust to 8 inches of
slush and I really like them. No telemarking though as I put
dynafit's on them.

Well, what i wanted to say is this: Immagine a steep face (40° or more)
with hard snow and moguls and with several 100 m ravine beneath (in
othere words: a no fall situation) you have to traverse in slight
descent. There, at least me, with free heels i have to be very cautious
and to use derapage, instead of - risky - turns.

_ I think the term in American English is "side slipping".

In such conditions,
which are not so rare at least in our, alpine, ski randonee, a very fat
and soft ski would be rather unstable and not so trusty. (1)

_ Around here the Fischer T-Stix Stingray is considered a
relatively narrow and stiff ski... %-). In trying various
skis over the years, I think skis in the 75-85mm range have
gotten much better at dealing with hard conditions, especially
over the last two years.

Personally, i'm still looking for a good tele-touring ski. Actually, i'm
using the Stockli Stormrider Pit, which is really light and snappy as
well - but a little bit too small (and short for me. 172. The
alternative 182 would be too long)

_ I think you have a different notion of tele-touring than I
do.

Yep. There's pretty much a difference. What i do in tele-touring is
pretty much the same what others do with alpine randonee equipment.
Recently, i did a part of the Haute Route (from Verbier or Chamonix to
Zermatt).

_ Touring in our lexicon generally implies a focus on covering
horizontal rather than vertical distance. Tele touring means
getting the kilometers in, but also having some fun on the
descents. What you describe would be considered "extreme skiing"
or steep backcountry in the ski lingo of the USA.

IMHO, the Fischer Boundless is pretty much far and away the
best turn and tour compromise ski I've ever skied. I didn't know
Stockli made AT skis, all we see in the USA are the very beefy
Stormrider XL's.

The Fischer Boundless for such touring wouldn't be that good idea.

_ No, it's fine on steep powder and corn, but isn't the best for
ice or heavy crud. I certainly wouldn't trust it in the situation
above.

As for the Stoeckli Stormrider Pit look he
http://www.stoeckli.ch/skiselect.asp?query=tour&lng=en
It's, despite the relative lightweight a pretty snappy ski. But as i
said, a little bit short and small for my taste.

I do not find the Stormrider XL so beefy and i'm thinking about to mount
on it a Telemark Easy GO adapter and to use it for touring :-)

_ It's my understanding of the Big stix line that it goes
something like

Big Stix 84 , 75 ( relatively heavy stiff wood core skis ) circa 2000

Big Stix 8.6 , 7.5 ( New carbon construction, much lighter and
softer )

T-stix Stingray, Mustang ( Refinement of the carbon
construction resulting in a lighter
and stiffer ski. )

_ There must be something about these skis that appeals to me,
because I own 3 pair. 184cm Big Stix 84, 175cm Big Stix 75 and
the newest a Stingray 165mm. I ski them all fixed heel though.

_ Booker C. Bense

Old April 22nd 05, 10:41 PM
Uli Hausmann

Booker C. Bense schrieb:

_ Touring in our lexicon generally implies a focus on covering
horizontal rather than vertical distance. Tele touring means
getting the kilometers in, but also having some fun on the
descents. What you describe would be considered "extreme skiing"
or steep backcountry in the ski lingo of the USA.

That's what would be touring in Scandinavia for example (most parts, not
the norvegian coast though) or in the "middle" mountains in central
Europe (like Black Forest for example).

Tours in the Alps, generally, are like that i spoke about before.
Extreme i wouldn't consider it. Extreme - and i think that's pretty

much common here - we will consider ascents and decents which imply as
necessary the use of ice axes, crampons and ropes.

Of course, simply for security, on our glaciers you'll need a harness
and a rope, eventually, nearly all the time (to assure a fall in a
crevasse) but it's not, what i would consider extreme.

As for the rest, i'll have a look at the Fischer Big Stix and derivates.
Thanks for the tip :-))

Greetings,

Ulrich
Old April 24th 05, 04:51 AM
Booker C. Bense

Old April 24th 05, 09:56 PM
Uli Hausmann

Booker C. Bense schrieb:

_ Extreme is so overused in the USA these days that it has lost
all meaning. All it really means today is that it looks dangerous
to people ignorant of the sport. However, it's really useful for
seperating the wheat from the chaff, anybody that describes
themselves as an "extreme anything" is generally either a liar or
a moron. Nobody that's really doing it uses the term.

:-))

May be i can add one: extreme is what i'm not able to do safely (but
others can. E.g telemarkers like Frode Groenvold or Lorenzo Worster ...)

Greetings,

Ulrich