Nordic Running Pole Plant Question/Observation

Old August 14th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

Default Nordic Running Pole Plant Question/Observation

Yeah, it's me again. I am still enjoying my slow running with the
poles. Sunday I had a goal of "run or more than an hour" which was
much easier than I had thought it would be because it was in the '70s

While running I tried planting "further behind" so as to have some
push while a foot was in the air and moving forward. Felt much nicer
all around, from hand and wrist fatigue to leg fatigue. Shaved my 13
minute mile pace to sub 12 minute mile. Woo hoo. . .I'm flying.

Any thoughts on pole plant appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed V.

Old August 16th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

Ed -

I went out for a longish run with poles and studied my pole placement.
By and large, I planted my pole at a spot about equal with the
opposite foot's heel. Oddly enough, my left pole/right foot was almost
always like this, but the right pole/left foot drifting forward and
back from about the ball of the foot to well behind the heel - perhaps
due to better right arm strength? Concentrating on putting the pole
down with a sharp, quick motion and on following through seemed to pay
off with a bit of burn in the bicep and tricep. I'm still looking for
a way to get my abdominals involved; it's much easier to feel them
engage when rollerskiing. Any tips from any more-experienced skiers?

Christopher

Old August 16th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Don't expect much out of abs except a bit with bounding. When going up
hill on classical skis it helps to move the pole timing forward in the
cycle, which among other things accentuates the ab crunch and use of
upper torso in getting a good push off, but I haven't tried that on dry
land.

Old August 18th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

On Aug 14, 12:03 pm, EdV wrote:

Yeah, it's me again. I am still enjoying my slow running with the
poles. Sunday I had a goal of "run or more than an hour" which was
much easier than I had thought it would be because it was in the '70s

While running I tried planting "further behind" so as to have some
push while a foot was in the air and moving forward. Felt much nicer
all around, from hand and wrist fatigue to leg fatigue. Shaved my 13
minute mile pace to sub 12 minute mile. Woo hoo. . .I'm flying.

Any thoughts on pole plant appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed V.- Hide quoted text -

I feel like I get some ab work in on the up hills. Would anyone care
to expound on the bounding technique. I have a feel for it from the
name but a video might prevent me from exciting a rotator cuff injury.

Thanks,
Ed V.

Old August 18th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

All videos of bounding I've seen are commercial. However, these two
sites may help. In the first, note the degree of arm (and shoulder)
extension shown may occur in fast bounding but is not generally used
any more for its inefficiency re power when skiing.

http://www.ernordic.com/~ralph/04-05...pharchive2.htm
http://www.masterskier.com/articles/...echniques.html
http://www.nensa.net/training/Techni...icDryland.html

EdV wrote:

I feel like I get some ab work in on the up hills. Would anyone care
to expound on the bounding technique. I have a feel for it from the
name but a video might prevent me from exciting a rotator cuff injury.

Thanks,
Ed V.

nordic running--start out slow and then taper off EdV Nordic Skiing 4 July 30th 07 01:10 PM
Just an observation... Lucky Alpine Skiing 3 November 2nd 05 04:03 PM
newbie pole question a Nordic Skiing 8 January 21st 05 02:35 AM
Hot Tar Roller Ski Face Plant Gary Jacobson Nordic Skiing 4 June 10th 04 01:33 PM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 03:11 AM