New midlength skis---glide as good as full-length?

Old December 20th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Default New midlength skis---glide as good as full-length?

Has anyone used the new midlength skis? Do they glide as good as full-
length?

How about their float ability in ungroomed or soft conditions?

Thanks, JP
Old December 20th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com) wrote:
Has anyone used the new midlength skis?

Yes.

Do they glide as good as full-length?

No.

How about their float ability in ungroomed or soft conditions?

Depends on the ski. I had a pair of Fischer Shortcuts (not
the Superlights) that seemed unusually incapable in pretty
much any conditions you might throw at them. I've got a
pair of short, fat Rossignols that will get you through
anything but get you through it slowly.

My current favorites for grotting around in ungroomed,
crappy snow is a pair of full-length Asnes waxable BC skis,
with somewhat more sidecut than standard touring skis and
metal edges. Way better flotation than other touring skis
and much, much better speed than the Mom skis.

Old December 20th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Dec 19, 9:19 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com) wrote:

Has anyone used the new midlength skis?

Depends on the ski. I had a pair of Fischer Shortcuts (not
the Superlights) that seemed unusually incapable in pretty
much any conditions you might throw at them. I've got a
pair of short, fat Rossignols that will get you through
anything but get you through it slowly.

Are these short or midlength? It gets confusing. I suppose a midlength
for a 170 lb skier would be about 180cm.

I got a tip that the following midlength skis are "pretty darn good."
Anyone know?

1) Fischer "Nordic Cruising" Voyager no edges and 50-48-55-50-52
sidecut.

(...Hmmm, these seem too narrow for any ungroomed action...no longer
made anyway, it seems...Fischer doesn't seem to have ANY allround
midlength ski for 08. ?)

2) Rossignol EVO Trail (68/60/65)

3) Salomon Snowscape 7 59mm

4) Karhu Escape 60/55/56

5) Madshus Morgedal 64mm

--JP
Old December 20th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com) wrote:
Are these short or midlength? It gets confusing.

I think it's a moving target. At the time I bought the
Fischers they were considered "shortcuts" (or at least
labeled as such by Fischer), and they were 183 cm, which is
definitely shorter than the 190-195cm I usually take (I weigh
118 lbs.). The Rossis are 165 cm and were early version of
the "backcountry" skis that have gotten so popular.

I'm also shopping for a light touring ski right now, and I'm
sort of leaning towards one of the Madshus touring line, or
maybe the Fischer Superlight, which is easier to find.

Old December 21st 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Chris Cole

I got a few pairs of the Nordic Cruisers (Cruiser or Voyager model I
think) and ski 90% ungroomed. They have narrowed them a little each year
(used to be around 54mm wide), but they turn easier, have good glide
(due I think to the 2 radius camber built in). Only thing I don't like
is the front is too low and they go under the snow a lot (for deep
untraveled snow).
gr

Ditto that...

A few stores started stocking the Fischer Nordic Cruiser range 2 or 3
seasons ago down here in Australia. They suck. A lot. Poor flotation on
ungroomed snow, and not much upturn in the tip, which leads to a _lot_
of digging in. Hired them out of curiosity the same day I took a pair of
Atomic Sierras for a spin.

I currently have a pair of 2 year old Atomic Rainiers for off-track
touring and playing (large sidecut, full metal edges) which are great
for such use but _very_ heavy. My fiancee uses the significantly lighter
and less-sidecut Sierras, and I would recommend these (or similar...
something in the lesser-sidecut end of the Fischer S-bound range
perhaps, if they're still available) for good all-round on/off track
touring performance.

Regards,
Chris

telemark at tpg.com.au

skis length Canucks Alpine Skiing 5 November 5th 07 05:09 PM
Bad glide on classic skis [email protected] Nordic Skiing 20 March 2nd 07 10:34 PM
Ski length question for GS skis Grinch Alpine Skiing 5 January 19th 07 04:40 AM
skis and ski length John Smith Alpine Skiing (moderated) 2 February 26th 04 03:09 AM
Full length snowboarding video downloads kbq71 Snowboarding 1 January 25th 04 10:19 AM