how to wax for storage?

Old March 25th 05, 04:42 PM
Marc Gwadz

Default how to wax for storage?

what's the process for waxing skis in the off-season?

i've hear people mention using protective wax to prevent oxidation, but
curious what the actual method is?

put on a coat of normal wax but don't scrap it off??
different treatments for grip or glide zones??

any advice appreciated, thanks

marc
Old March 25th 05, 05:05 PM
Marsh Jones

Marc Gwadz wrote:
what's the process for waxing skis in the off-season?

i've hear people mention using protective wax to prevent oxidation, but
curious what the actual method is?

put on a coat of normal wax but don't scrap it off??
different treatments for grip or glide zones??

any advice appreciated, thanks

marc

Marc,

I use the oldest, cheapest, soft plain wax I have - something like
FastWax Base Prep or anybody's red. Buy it in bulk, brush the skis out,
slap a thickish coat on the skis, clean and lube the bindings and clean
the tops, and lovingly put them away.

Happy paddling/hiking/biking/??? for the summer.

Marsh Jones

Old March 25th 05, 06:38 PM
Camilo

"Marc Gwadz" wrote in message
what's the process for waxing skis in the off-season?

i've hear people mention using protective wax to prevent oxidation, but
curious what the actual method is?

put on a coat of normal wax but don't scrap it off??
different treatments for grip or glide zones??

any advice appreciated, thanks

marc

Marc: I do a quick "cleaning of the ski" - brush it out and then do a hot
scrape with a soft wax. Then I do a normal wax job, but don't scrape it
off. I make sure the wax gets ironed in well. That thick layer of
unscraped wax is your storage wax.

For the storage wax, I recommend using a wax that is your best guess at what
you might actually be a good "wax of the day" the first times you ski in the
early season, or err on the side of a colder/harder wax. That way, you can
just scrape and brush and ski on "decent" wax, rather than have to scrape,
brush and then apply wax of the day. If your storage wax is softer/warmer
than what's needed for those first days, it will be very unsatisfactory
unless you re-wax with wax of the day.

In my family there are four of us, and I'm usually the one that people rely
on to get the skis ready to go when the first skiable snow appears. That
event (first skiable snow) usually results in a "I want to ski tomorrow"
type of thing going on. It's rare to get ready ahead of time because,....
well the motivation isn't there until the snow gets there, right? So, by
using a fairly cold wax, one that will be good or at least "harder" than the
wax of the day needed when first snow flies, I can just scrape and brush out
the skis and we're good to go. If I use a real soft wax, it is often not
suitable for the early snow we get here and I therefore have to add wax of
the day to all these skis, just to get everyone going. Skiing on wax that's
too soft is not at all fun, while skiing on wax that's too hard is usually
OK, if not perfect. A much bigger chore to get them all prepped up that
evening before everyone wants to ski.

IF it was just me, I wouldn't be so concerned though, although it is nice to
just scrape brush and go.

Cam

Old March 26th 05, 01:03 PM
Daniel Vargo

There is also kick zone prep for storage. Iron in a hard kick wax over
the kick zone after cleaning off all the old wax.

Dan Vargo
SLC, UT

Old March 27th 05, 03:43 PM
KARL SCHROEDER

You should always wax your skis for storage. You should first clean your
skis. Either use some ski prep-cleaning wax(you use could use some cheap
warm wax to do this also), scrape this wax off while warm, then brush it out
like you normally do after waxing your skis for a regular ski. Then take
some cheap, warm temperature wax, and drip it on generously, iron, then let
it cool, and put them away for the summer! You will do the same process for
your classic skis, but make sure you clean off the grip wax with some citrus
cleaner real good, and then repeat the above process. You will find by doing
this that your skis will take wax much better when you start waxing for the
winter ski season.

Old March 27th 05, 04:10 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

One qualification to this procedure is that since most people start
skiing with temps below freezing, it's often better to use a sub-0C wax,
such as red. The advantage is that when you want to go out, all you
have to do is scrape and ski. Other reasons are people often run their
irons way too hot for soft waxes and up the risk of burning the bases,
and sometimes skis are stored for the summer in hot places that can
allegedly melt the wax.

Gene

Old March 28th 05, 06:26 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

The key is to finish waxing before you start ripping into (working on)
your bike(s).

Old March 28th 05, 07:08 PM
Marsh Jones

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz wrote:
The key is to finish waxing before you start ripping into (working on)
your bike(s).

My wife made me put the skis up before I got the boats & bikes out. I'm
taking the box off the car today.
The rivers are starting to go ice free - time to paddle and ride!

Marsh Jones
Old March 29th 05, 03:39 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Sorry excuse for not joining me at Spirit Mtn last Saturday for a long
day of skiing. ;-)

Gene