Board Storage - inside or out

Old February 10th 04, 05:16 PM
jaycb74

Default Board Storage - inside or out

My friends are leaving their boards on the racks overnight, whereas I like
to bring mine into our cabin and let it dry and get warm again. So
basically their boards will be outside for about 3 days/nights straight.
They say no harm...I question that as boards are made of wood and many other
materials that moisture does effect, right?

Anybody have any info on this? Is it in-fact ok to leave a board outside or
should they be brought in after use?
Thanks.

Old February 10th 04, 05:29 PM

I think it is personal preference. I like to bring mine inside.

Unless there is severe edge damage and an exposed core, then moisture is not
going to get into the core. Some boards these days are completely wood-free
consisting of all composite materials.

-T

"jaycb74" wrote in message
My friends are leaving their boards on the racks overnight, whereas I like
to bring mine into our cabin and let it dry and get warm again. So
basically their boards will be outside for about 3 days/nights straight.
They say no harm...I question that as boards are made of wood and many

other
materials that moisture does effect, right?

Anybody have any info on this? Is it in-fact ok to leave a board outside

or
should they be brought in after use?
Thanks.

---

Old February 11th 04, 02:05 AM
Bob

"jaycb74" wrote in message
My friends are leaving their boards on the racks overnight,

whereas I like
to bring mine into our cabin and let it dry and get warm again.

So
basically their boards will be outside for about 3 days/nights

straight.
They say no harm...I question that as boards are made of wood

and many other
materials that moisture does effect, right?

Anybody have any info on this? Is it in-fact ok to leave a

board outside or
should they be brought in after use?

An instructor in my school stopped at mcDonald's on the way up a
couple weeks ago. While they were inside, someone put a
cinderblock through the window and stole the boards.

I'd bring it inside just to prevent theft.

Bob

Old February 11th 04, 03:14 AM
fury

If it's really cold out, some binding straps are known to strap when bent
after long periods in the cold, you don't want to get off the chair lift
start strapping up and have your strap snap on you on your first run
(happened to my friend ).

Old February 11th 04, 04:38 AM
Dmitry

"fury" wrote

If it's really cold out, some binding straps are known to strap when bent
after long periods in the cold, you don't want to get off the chair lift
start strapping up and have your strap snap on you on your first run
(happened to my friend ).

I stepped on a strap on my SP4 on a cold day once, it promptly
broke in half. The demo center had replacements for $3, so it
was only a 15-minute disruption. I'm now very careful with
straps on cold days :P

Old February 11th 04, 05:22 AM
Johnny K

pshaw.. see my thread above.. one the strap snapped, i noticed that
burton REALLY skimped out. it's not even a WHOLE strap.. it's like,
threads inside, mostly full of air..

Old February 11th 04, 07:53 AM
Switters

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:22:08 GMT, Johnny K
allegedly wrote:

pshaw.. see my thread above..

Uh, just because it's "above" with your Mozilla settings, doesn't mean
that the same thread will appear in the same place with other settings or
other news readers.

Just something to bear in mind.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old February 11th 04, 02:50 PM
Johnny K

this is true.. It's entitled "agh.. those burton bindings again", or
something to that effect..

Old February 12th 04, 02:24 PM
toddjb

"jaycb74" wrote in message news:1076437160.102247@sj-nntpcache-3...
My friends are leaving their boards on the racks overnight, whereas I like
to bring mine into our cabin and let it dry and get warm again.
Anybody have any info on this? Is it in-fact ok to leave a board outside or
should they be brought in after use?
Thanks.

I've heard some mention that its actually good to keep the board the same
temperature as the air. Of course, if you keep it inside it'll cool down
after the first couple of runs or the trip to the mountain if its on your
roof. (just to prevent temperature difference of base and snow).

I've also heard that road salt spray is very bad for your base. So, if
you have to put it on a roof rack, bag it for long trips or at least wash
it off after the road trip.

That said, I keep mine in the SUV for traveling and always bring it in at
night. I like to check out the damage after a day, tune things if needed,
tighten bindings, and just generally have it nice and fresh for the next
day. Also prevents the theft risk and helps dry out any core shots that I
may have so I can repair them or at least limit the wood swelling.

$.02

-t