Anyone used Salomon X-Adv 5 NNN-BC boots?

Old April 15th 05, 11:42 AM
Chris Cole

Default Anyone used Salomon X-Adv 5 NNN-BC boots?

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone out there has bought/used/tried Salomon's
X-Adventure 5 (or 8) NNN-BC boots? I need new skis boots & bindings this
season (winter is yet to happen down here) and am contemplating the
relative merits of a sturdy NNN-BC setup or switching to "light" 75mm
cable-binding gear (non-plastic boots), mostly for touring, but it'd be
nice to play on some good backcountry hills now and then, too.

Cheers,
Chris

Old April 18th 05, 09:57 PM
David Dermott

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Chris Cole wrote:

Just wondering if anyone out there has bought/used/tried Salomon's
X-Adventure 5 (or 8) NNN-BC boots? I need new skis boots & bindings this
season (winter is yet to happen down here) and am contemplating the
relative merits of a sturdy NNN-BC setup

Hmm, no replies yet ?
I hope that you know that Salomon X-Adventure is NOT compatible with
NNN-BC. Salomon X-A (formerly called SNS-BC) and New Nordic Norm BC are
completely different systems. Make sure that both boots and bindings are
the same system!

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old April 26th 05, 02:19 PM
Chris Cole

David Dermott wrote:
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Chris Cole wrote:

Just wondering if anyone out there has bought/used/tried Salomon's
X-Adventure 5 (or 8) NNN-BC boots? I need new skis boots & bindings this
season (winter is yet to happen down here) and am contemplating the
relative merits of a sturdy NNN-BC setup

Hmm, no replies yet ?
I hope that you know that Salomon X-Adventure is NOT compatible with
NNN-BC. Salomon X-A (formerly called SNS-BC) and New Nordic Norm BC are
completely different systems. Make sure that both boots and bindings are
the same system!

Hi,

Yep, I was looking at buying both the Salomon boots & bindings as a
matched set. I was wondering mostly if anyone had used them and could
comment on their merit compared to standard NNN-BC gear.

Cheers,
Chris
Old April 28th 05, 11:36 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old April 29th 05, 05:42 AM
Chris Cole

_ I don't have any direct experience with either SNS-BC or X-A,
but what I've read in the past suggests that they are slightly
better than NNN/BC or certainly no worse. However, in my
experience getting good fitting boots is far more important
both touring and turning than what binding you use for relatively
lightweight gear. Find the boot that fits you best ( No Heel
Lift) and get the binding that works with that boot.

Thanks for the input. My main problem is that of finding boots to try
on. Unfortunately Australia has a very limited x-country skiing market
and consequently literally only about 5 or 6 stores on the entire
continent stock anything approaching a "reasonable" range of nordic
gear. There are lots of plastic boots for the dedicated telemarker /
pseudo-x-country devotee but not a lot of choice for those of us who go
hiking with skis on, but still want something fairly sturdy.

Particularly lacking are the newer leather/synthetic non-plastic boots,
both 75mm and NNN-BC, except for models like the mainstream Alpinas
(e.g. BC 1550's this year) which are available mostly because they're
the default NNN-BC hire boot. Consequently trying to find Fischer BCX
6's or Salomon X-Adv 5 or 8's, or even Alpina Sierra 75's to try on is
next to impossible.

Also because of the small market, it's (sadly) cheaper to buy ski gear
over the web from the US or Canada, pay for postage, pay for
import/customs duty, pay for GST.... than it is to buy the gear here
(that's assuming you can find anyone willing to stock it here). For
example, I'm looking at buying a pair of Atomic Sierra's this season,
which sell in the US for about $110-130 USD a pair. The exact same skis
here will cost me $459 AUS (say roughly $330 USD). NNN-BC boots go for
about $400-450 AUS ($300-320 USD) but can be ordered via the web for
~$150-170 USD.

Anyway, I digress. =)

Cheers,
Chris Cole

Old May 1st 05, 11:43 AM

In article ,
Chris Cole wrote:

Just wondering if anyone out there has bought/used/tried Salomon's
X-Adventure 5 (or 8) NNN-BC boots? I need new skis boots & bindings this
season (winter is yet to happen down here) and am contemplating the
relative merits of a sturdy NNN-BC setup or switching to "light" 75mm
cable-binding gear (non-plastic boots), mostly for touring, but it'd be
nice to play on some good backcountry hills now and then, too.

I have bought XAdventure 8 and XAdventure Raid this season. Both of them
because I was not able to decide... And I still do not know which are
better.
XAdventure8 are more comfortable and better for backpacking/hiking, but
XAdventure Raid are better for running and slightly better for
telemarking (descentes). The main disadvantage of Raids is its flap
(tongue?) which is too low, and not stiff at all.
My former boots were Salomon 9 Country Profil. They were perfect for me.
Almost. The main disadvantage is the Profil standard itself. Very
delicate.
And AFAIK they do not make decent backcountry Profil boots any more...
Regards
TA
Old May 1st 05, 02:10 PM
Andrew Bolger

Titus,
Did you buy these boots in the UK?
If so where?
Andyb
On 1/5/05 1:14 pm, "

Old May 1st 05, 03:09 PM

In article ,
(Andrew Bolger) wrote:

Did you buy these boots in the UK?
If so where?

Nope. In Poland.
http://www.traveller.com.pl/sklep_warszawa.php
This is a kind of 'Field&Trek' outdoor chain in Poland.
I paid about 100 quid for Salomon Adventure8+SalomonAdventure Raid...
As Poland is in EU you will not pay any duty... I have no idea how much
they will charge you for the shipping...

Regards
TA

BTW It is supposed to be SNS-BC in the title...
Old May 2nd 05, 05:59 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old May 4th 05, 01:14 AM
Chris Cole

_ As a rough guide if you have narrow heels stay away from
Alpina's. I have an older version of the Fischer BCX6 and
I quite like it for that kind of boot and it has a narrower
heel.

Probably an important point as I am kinda skinny. =) Actually I have a
very old pair of Alpina NNN-BC boots (picked them up for $40AUD at a 2nd
hand ski gear sale about 10 years ago) which are extremely comfortable
and well-fitted, but they're a bit heavy & inflexible and getting on in
years now.

_ As an aside, if you can find them you might try looking at
various "standard" X-country boots of the combi flavor. These are
a cross between skate boots and classic xc racing boots. They
have good ankle support and you can flex the forefoot. In
general they offer as much if not more support for skiing than
many NNN/BC boots. The only thing they lack is a heavy lugged
sole. Even if you decide not to try this particular style of
boot, it will give you some idea of the kind of last each
manufacturer uses and which maker fits your feet best.

Yep, I've had a look around at the various offerings and tried them on
to get an idea of fit/size/comfort, etc. Unfortunately the closest to
the X-Adv 5's I can find are some Salomon hiking boots.... which fit
very nicely in the appropriate size, so with any luck the fit & scaling
of sizes won't vary too much (could be wishful thinking).

Cheers,
Chris