Does Rollerskiing Destroy Boots?

Old November 22nd 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon

Default Does Rollerskiing Destroy Boots?

Hello:

I'm doing a lot more rollerskiing than in the past and wondered whether
I should be considering a dedicated pair of boots to spare my regular
"ski" boots.

I use Salomon Carbon Skate for both classic and skate rollerskiing, and
as these are being discontinued and they're the only ski boots that
ever fit me well (very narrow feet), I"m curious about what the
expected life is, so that, if need be, I can stock up on an extra pair
while I have a chance.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Old November 22nd 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

Jon wrote:

I'm doing a lot more rollerskiing than in the past and wondered whether
I should be considering a dedicated pair of boots to spare my regular
"ski" boots.

The short answer is no, rollerskiing does not destroy boots.

Th longer answer is that boots do take a beating - there is a tendency
to walk around on pavement with them, maybe run down a steeper hill in
them (if you do not have brakes on your RS's), or walk home when your
Aero's blow a tube and go flat. Mine take a beating from RS'ing in wet
and sloppy weather - my old Bumblebee's are getting pretty dirty.

I would suggest that you invest in dedicated skate and classic boots,
though - rather than a winter / summer pair. My $ 0.02!

- Bob

Old November 22nd 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

yes, it messes up your skiboots. on asfalt there is sand and other
dirt. when you get this sand and dirt on your boots it will mess up the
glue that hold the boot parts together and slowly ruin your boots.
my rollerski boots looks like hell where as my "snow only" boots are
still niiice :-)

Old November 22nd 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
WasGitchi

Jon,

I do believe that roller skiing destroys your boots. The forces on
your boot are more aggressive; snow is soft (usually) and the road is
hard and creates a lot of vibration.

If you have the option, you should not use the same boots for roller
skiing that you use for snow skiing.

Although, I wouldn't be too concerned about the world's supply of
carbons just yet. Many people bought them, they didn't fit and are
slowly selling them off. So you should be able to find them on ebay for
quite some time.

More importantly, I don't think that you should use the carbon skate
boots for classic. You can easily find cheap salomon classic boots on
(again) ebay. This will save your carbons and improve your classic
technique, by giving your ankle more freeedom of movement.

Good Luck,

Mark

Old November 22nd 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually own the carbon classics also, but found that my body (hip /
low back) does better when diagnol roller skiing with the skate boots.
I have the the Jenex 9000s which are fairly heavy and tippy, so the
extra ankle support seems to help considerably.

(I'm going to try on the new S-lab, "ski-athlon" boot as the ideal
substitute, but based on initial feedback, I assume it'll be too wide
for me.)

Great tip about ebay. Or, if anyone wants to do an even trade between
a pair of brand new S-lab skate boots and last year's carbon's (size
8.5 US), please let me know.

Jon

Old November 22nd 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I'd say boots age 2x faster when rollerskiing. Except if you always ski
in perfect confitions (sunny weather, no walking on pavement, etc). I
find that the boots get damaged by rollerskiing in the rain. Still, if
you rollerski ~3 times a week, boots should last ~3 years (my bumblebee
Pilot).

Old November 22nd 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Added ankle support is not a bad idea for rollerskiing. The Salomon
Active 8 or Pro Combi boots do well for classical on rollerskis or
snow. Pop the plastic for the latter. The new Pro Combi has the heel
adjustment strap and the Pilot sole, but previous years are Profil.

It's worth checking out the S-lab even with narrower feet. The inner
sock seems to shape to what's in it.

rm

Old November 24th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Norski

Last Wednesday I went out for the maiden voyage on my brand new 'low volume,
narrow' Centrix boots. On a fast downhill a rock jammed one of the front
wheels while I was skating and launched me into a 'Superman' position.
Sprawled out on the asphalt, sliding along on my knee pads, boots and pole
grips. By the time I stopped sliding and grinding, I had ground some of the
cork off my grips and a 1" diameter hole in the side of my new boot.
Instead of saying Fischer, it now looks more like 'scher'.
So yeah, rollerskiing destroys boots. Skin too.

Old December 1st 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Timo Salmi

Jon wrote:
I'm doing a lot more rollerskiing than in the past and wondered
whether I should be considering a dedicated pair of boots to spare my
regular "ski" boots.

Absolutely!

All the best, Timo

Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/ ; FIN-65101, Finland
Cross-country skiing page: http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timoski.html