GPS watches - Forerunner 201 by Garmin International

Old March 28th 04, 05:09 PM
Brian

Default GPS watches - Forerunner 201 by Garmin International

Just wondering if anybody out there uses the Forerunner 201 produced
by Garmin International. There was a favorable review of the training
watch with GPS technology in the Wall Street Journal (it was compared
to the Timex bodylink system).

I am thinking about purchasing a GPS watch, but the Timex with
heartrate monitor just seems too big and bulky. The Forerunner 201
seems like a good device - no heart rate monitor, but smaller and
according to the WSJ, easier to use.

Anybody have any ideas/suggestions/comments on the Forerunner 201 or
other GPS traning watches.

Thanks.

Brian
Old March 28th 04, 07:28 PM
Terje Mathisen

Brian wrote:

Just wondering if anybody out there uses the Forerunner 201 produced
by Garmin International. There was a favorable review of the training
watch with GPS technology in the Wall Street Journal (it was compared
to the Timex bodylink system).

I am thinking about purchasing a GPS watch, but the Timex with
heartrate monitor just seems too big and bulky. The Forerunner 201
seems like a good device - no heart rate monitor, but smaller and
according to the WSJ, easier to use.

Anybody have any ideas/suggestions/comments on the Forerunner 201 or
other GPS traning watches.

I guess you could call me a gadget freak, anyway I almost always carry
my Garmin GPSMap 76S on ski trips, and my Polar 610 (as recommended
here!) when I want puls rates as well.

Correlating the two sets of measurements makes it even more obvious how
a sprint up a hill result in a pulse burst. :-)

Terje

PS. I keep the gps ina night-O battery holder, which keeps it centererd
between my shoulder blades, with the antenna part pointing up. When I
try to carry it in my hand, the jitter & obstructions caused by moving
it back&forth gives significantly worse gps tracks.

--
-
Old March 28th 04, 10:11 PM

I got the original, bottom-of-the-line, Timex S&D, only the 50 lap
model about a year ago. I have been very happy with it. Never had
a problem with losing the satellite connection because of trees, as
far as I can tell. Of course it doesn't tell you where you are, or
anything about altitude, just distances and anything which can be
deduced from that and time, such as speed, pace, .... The instantaneous
speed and pace is not, and cannot be, terribly useful on such a
device. On a bike, your bike "computer" gives much more stable
readings. But distances, average paces, perhaps max pace,... all seem
very useful and accurate.

Best, Peter

Old March 28th 04, 10:15 PM

Forgot to mention that Al's Gift Shoppe seemed to have easily the best
online (or any other) prices for both the 50 and 100 lap models at
that time.

Best, Peter
Old March 29th 04, 05:40 PM
dware

How about the Endless Pursuit model that has been advertised?

Also, are any of these any good for slower training, shorter distance as in running?

Dave