Ski lifts, falling on my arse and Hemsedal

Old March 14th 04, 05:06 PM
Max

Default Ski lifts, falling on my arse and Hemsedal

Hello,

I have just started snowboarding, I have done about 4 days in Scotland and
last week I just got the hang of turning and being able to board on both
edges, im still not 100% in control but I am getting there. The one thing I
just cannot get the hang of is chair lifts and those button things (not sure
what they are called!). If I use a chair lift with one leg strapped in then
I tend to try and get off but then kinda just fall in a heap, im not even
gonna try one of the button things, I don't see how it can be done.

However I did managed to get the hang of the T-bars at cairngorm yesterday
with the help of a friendly skier lady who noticed me falling on my arse the
for my first attempt (thanks very much to her). The Funicular railway at
cairngorm is great because you can walk on and off it - its just great.
However to use if you need to be able to board all the way to the bottom,
which is not always possible because of the lack of snow lower down.

Me, my sis and mum and her man are all off to Hemsedal in Norway at the
start of April for a week, I am the only one in the group with any
boarding/skiing experience. Does anyone have any knowledge of the lifts in
Hemsedal? Specifically I would like to know are there any walk on/off type
lifts? Do the chair lifts slow down at the top to allow you off (I have
heard of this at some resorts - or am I making that up??)? Do they use
T-bars?

Although I could probably get up T-bars, and I don't mind just falling off
chair lifts and im sure I will get used to them, I don't want my family to
be discouraged by using these devices when trying to get to the beginner
areas.

Any info on this resort would be good, I have had a look at
http://www.skistar.com/english/hemsedal/ but I couldn't find any info on the
lift systems. Also is the nightlife any good!

Thanks

Max

Old March 15th 04, 09:48 AM
Playdreamer

"Max" wrote in message

The one thing I
just cannot get the hang of is chair lifts

A lot of people struggle with chair lifts and you will get the hang of it
with practice (same with buttons). Techniques for getting off have often
been discussed on here many times so try a Google search and you should get
some pointers.

Any info on this resort would be good, I have had a look at
http://www.skistar.com/english/hemsedal/ but I couldn't find any info on

the
lift systems. Also is the nightlife any good!

A friend went there a couple of years back and had this to say
http://www.snowserve.co.uk/view_trip...?tripreport=18

Luke
--
http://www.snowgo.com - Reading, writing and riding. A snowboarder's blog.

Old March 15th 04, 09:49 AM
Crosbie Fitch

"Max" wrote in message
im not even
gonna try one of the button things, I don't see how it can be done.

I reckon a trick might be to start off trying to do it as though you've only
got one leg (the leading leg). Then, once you've got the hang of that, you
can gradually risk resting more of the weight of your trailing leg on the
board. Any time you feel like you're losing balance or are catching an edge
you lift that trailing leg back up. It's only there for the ride - don't let
it get the idea it's participating in control. Until, of course, you've
mastered control with just the leading leg. Then you can use both feet and
**** about hucking all over the bloody place.

Old March 15th 04, 09:50 AM
Bo Lind

Max wrote:

Hello,

I have just started snowboarding, I have done about 4 days in Scotland and
last week I just got the hang of turning and being able to board on both
edges, im still not 100% in control but I am getting there. The one thing
I just cannot get the hang of is chair lifts and those button things (not
sure what they are called!). If I use a chair lift with one leg strapped
in then I tend to try and get off but then kinda just fall in a heap, im
not even gonna try one of the button things, I don't see how it can be
done.

I think the technical term is button lift. They basically come in two
configurations; one with a straight pole, and one with a little bend at the
bottom towards the plate. More about that later.

Here's what I do to ride a button lift:

front foot strapped in, rear unstrapped, on the stomppad, in a good
position.

At all times, weight slightly back, and bend down in your rear leg.

Use your arms to pull yourself towards the "launch area".

Most button lifts have some sort of spring in them, so you don't get pulled
off all at once. Yet, there is a certain pull in the beginning. Grab hold
of the pole about 40 cm from the plate, and just hold it in your hands when
it launches.

After that, it slows down for about five seconds, where you position the
plate between your legs. Hold on with your hands throughout the ride in
order to have feeling with the lift.

When getting off, take out the plate/button 20 meters or so before, and just
hold it with your hands.

Now, about those curved poles. The basic problem with button lifts and
snowboards is that, with the pole between your legs, you want to go
sideways (board direction), and the lift want to pull you straight
(direction of your nose). A compromise must be found, and this is the sum
of various things:

1) Riding slightly on one side of the lift track.
2) Using your hands, holding the pole at an angle to the lift direction.
3) Twisting your body.
4) The pole pulling at an angle, instead of straight (again, compared to
nose.)

Now, the last thing is a heck of a lot more comfortable with the curved
pole, as the plate rests more evenly on your behind, despite the strange
angle. Think pecker pointing to one side in stead of straight.

Hope this explanation wasn't completely murky.

Also is the nightlife any good!

Norwegian booze prices are about the most outrageous in all of Europe. I've
never experienced Hemsedal in the winter, but I think it's more of a family
place. YMMV.

Old March 15th 04, 11:10 AM
Barney

"Max" wrote in message
[...]

The lifts in Scotland are by the worst I've seen (for boarders, that is).
Button tows that pull you into the air by your groin are really not what you
need to get you started...

My advice for Norway would be - get a lesson. They'll go through it all with
you.

Old March 15th 04, 06:31 PM
Tommy Petersson

Button lifts are a pain in the ar*e. Lean back.

The nightlife in Hemsedal is good, but extremely expensive.

/Tommy P.
Old March 21st 04, 09:57 AM
Roger Kristiansen

Max wrote:

Me, my sis and mum and her man are all off to Hemsedal in Norway at the
start of April for a week, I am the only one in the group with any
boarding/skiing experience. Does anyone have any knowledge of the lifts in
Hemsedal? Specifically I would like to know are there any walk on/off type
lifts? Do the chair lifts slow down at the top to allow you off (I have
heard of this at some resorts - or am I making that up??)? Do they use
T-bars?

[snip]
Any info on this resort would be good, I have had a look at
http://www.skistar.com/english/hemsedal/ but I couldn't find any info on the
lift systems. Also is the nightlife any good!

I'm not quite sure what you mean with "walk on/off", but the chair lifts
do slow down at the top and bottom. All except the one by the
snowboard park, but from what level you say you are at, that shouldn't
really be a problem.

Hemsedal is not, as some other guy here claimed, mosty a family place.
It's not a huge place, but it's got a reputation as the best
"party-resort" in Norway. The prices _are_ pretty steep (even for
norwegians), so if you're on a budget you can pretty much just forget
about it. Or smuggle in some booze.

- Roger
Old March 21st 04, 04:31 PM
Mike Watson

Max wrote:

I have just started snowboarding, I have done about 4 days in Scotland and
last week I just got the hang of turning and being able to board on both
edges, im still not 100% in control but I am getting there. The one thing I

Well if you learnt in Scotland then anywhere else should be a lot easier!

just cannot get the hang of is chair lifts and those button things (not sure
what they are called!). If I use a chair lift with one leg strapped in then

Dont look at your board when coming off the lift, focus on something in
the distance, back foot on the stomp pad and glide off. I used to find I
concentrated too hard on these things. (Or grab hold of whoever is
sitting next to you )

When I first boarded in Europe the friendlier exits off the lifts came
as a pleasant surprise in comparism to what we have to contend with here
(glenshee springs to mind as a particularly evil one and I seem to
remember that nevis range has a mat from a dry ski slope as an exit.)

However I did managed to get the hang of the T-bars at cairngorm yesterday

I find these much easier, I've never got on with button lifts.