Off-season Training Opportunity - Twin Cities

Old April 3rd 05, 09:15 PM
Marsh Jones

Default Off-season Training Opportunity - Twin Cities

What: Rookie Night canoe instruction and workout
Who: anyone with a desire to paddle and maybe this summer.
Whe Showboat landing (below the UofM on the Mississippi River)
When: 5:30 - 8:30 Monday evenings starting April 4. Optional dinner at
Lotus after
Why: Because it's fun!!!

Tired of rollerskiing all summer and still feeling like you have wimpy
arms come fall? Come paddle with us on Monday nights. There are a
number of top ski racers in the region who also race canoes or kayaks in
the summertime, and a number of them started paddling at 'rookie night'
on the Mississippi. This is an opportunity for fit, but totally
inexperienced people to come learn about paddling the right way, paddle
with very good paddlers and get a great workout. The more experienced
paddlers pair off with rookies, and the whole group paddles together -
sorta like a bunch of tandem bikes with no cars around!

Also, this is a great opportunity to women to participate on a very even
footing with the guys. Paddling has more to do with power-to-weight
that pure strength.

And if you find you're hooked and want to try racing, we'll even give
you the secret handshake and decoder ring so you can find new ways to
abuse your body all summer long...

Bring a PFD (life jacket) if you have one, and a water bottle. Wear
appropriate layered clothing. In April, racing gloves and polypro tops
aren't a bad idea. As the season progresses, T-shirts and shorts are
great. WEAR OLD RUNNING SHOES, not sandals. We'll supply paddles,
boats and pair everyone up.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marsh Jones
New Brighton, MN
Old April 4th 05, 08:27 PM
Bob L

Isn't it too cold for paddling w/o a wetsuit? I
thought it was safer to wait a few more weeks.

I have a couple of touring/rec. kayaks, and will try to get in some
long excursions this summer on the Mississippi. I usually
put in near Pigs Eye or further down towards Hastings.
-Bob

Old April 4th 05, 09:43 PM
Marsh Jones

Marsh Jones wrote:

What: Rookie Night canoe instruction and workout
Who: anyone with a desire to paddle and maybe this summer.
Whe Showboat landing (below the UofM on the Mississippi River)
When: 5:30 - 8:30 Monday evenings starting April 4. Optional dinner

at

Lotus after
Why: Because it's fun!!!

This time of year, we stay close in, wear fleece if needed, and carry
spare clothing in a dry bag. Also, the pro boats stay home. I'm
packing a Minn II today.

Paddling down by Hastins is a little more exposed, too. I wouldn't want
to be out *there* with this weather.

Marsh
Old April 9th 05, 07:01 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

From the IOC Med Commission's handbook, Cross Country Skiing (Rusko,
ed.):

"Canoeists can attain almost similar VO2max in running (leg work) and in
canoeing (upper body work) and cross country skiers might benefit from
the basic and sport-specific strength training of canoeists." The
subtext of the comment is studies of top level skiers that show higher
blood lactate accumulations during double poling as compared to whole
body exercise, specifically striding, at the same oxygen uptake and/or
HR (skating also has the same effect, just somewhat less so than
straight double poling). This effect is true for all, but especially
for women and junior skiers, where upper body strength is even more
limited.

The message seems clear (if my shoulders and wrist tendons will only
cooperate).

Gene