Snowbird vs Sunshine Village Apr 10-17

Old February 10th 04, 12:57 AM

Default Snowbird vs Sunshine Village Apr 10-17

Planning a trip around Easter (4-10 -17) and need advice.

The two places currently being considered are Snowbird UT and Sunshine
Village.
Although we hear that Snowbird gets more snow in Apr, we also hear
that it can be icy/heavy. Meanwhile, Sunshine gets less snow, but it's
their "powder" season. Sunshine is more expensive to get to and , it
would seem, more of a hassle to deal with--ie; if we stay at the
Sunshine Inn--the only ski in/out, it is a 15 min gondola ride up the
mountain to the Inn, and the Inn/rooms appear rather primitive (not
that it's that important, but some rooms don't have TV). In addition,
Banff is 30 minutes away. If we hadn't heard those negative reports
about snow at Snowbird at Easter, it would be it, but those reports
have us concerned.

Last year (late Feb) we were at Whistler and the thing we liked most
about it was the village and its restaurants. For a few days we had
wet snow at the lower elevations and that was a pain.
So we'd appreciate advice. If you want to suggest another site please
do.
TIA

John
Old February 12th 04, 01:28 AM
FHemmer209

wrote:

[...]

I will be at Snowbird that same week. I have a buddy with a timeshare unit that
week and I get it when he doesn't use it which is most years. I have
experienced some great powder days during that period as well as sunny spring
skiing conditions. As with any place during warmer times you will face icey
starts due to the re-freezing of the prior day's soft thawed snow. But Snowbird
offers the Mineral Basin area which is a SE facing bowl which gets the morning
sun and thus a quicker thaw out.

I have never experienced "wet" snow at Snowbird. The Alta interconnect lift
ticket is nice too.

Have fun.

Fred
Old March 2nd 04, 11:24 PM
The 3rd little pig

wrote in message
Planning a trip around Easter (4-10 -17) and need advice.

The two places currently being considered are Snowbird UT and Sunshine
Village.
Although we hear that Snowbird gets more snow in Apr, we also hear
that it can be icy/heavy. Meanwhile, Sunshine gets less snow, but it's
their "powder" season. Sunshine is more expensive to get to and , it
would seem, more of a hassle to deal with--ie; if we stay at the
Sunshine Inn--the only ski in/out, it is a 15 min gondola ride up the
mountain to the Inn, and the Inn/rooms appear rather primitive (not
that it's that important, but some rooms don't have TV). In addition,
Banff is 30 minutes away. If we hadn't heard those negative reports
about snow at Snowbird at Easter, it would be it, but those reports
have us concerned.

The gondola at sunshine isn't bad at all, and its more like 10 minutes.
Banff is not 30 minutes away unless you drive really slow. And really, if
you're concerned about a 30 minute drive and a 15 minute gondola how much of
a hurry are you in? Need to get back to the room to watch TV?

Old March 4th 04, 08:37 PM
Greg

You'll like Sunshine Village way more than Whistler at that time of
year. The snow will be a lot better at the higher latitude of
Sunshine than Snowbird as well. The Inn on the mountain at Sunshine
is not 4 star but the staff is really friendly and you are right there
on the mountain. Banff is closer than you think and easy to get to.
If you really want to compare the two check out www.SkiTown.com they
have complete information on both resorts. Have fun.