Bode Miller Apology

Old January 12th 06, 08:30 PM

Default Bode Miller Apology

Bode Miller apologized for his comments regarding drinking and skiing. I
have to say, I'm surprised. Not as a reflection on Bode Miller, pro or con,
I'm just surprised that he apologized. I guess I wasn't expecting it; maybe
because it hadn't crossed my mind that it was necessary.

Now the cynic in me wonders if his apology was personal, sincere, and
heartfelt (I still don't recognize the need for him to apologize) or was he
responding to pressure from sponsors.

Old January 12th 06, 09:04 PM

Bryan wrote:
Bode Miller apologized for his comments regarding drinking and skiing. I
have to say, I'm surprised. Not as a reflection on Bode Miller, pro or con,
I'm just surprised that he apologized. I guess I wasn't expecting it; maybe
because it hadn't crossed my mind that it was necessary.

Now the cynic in me wonders if his apology was personal, sincere, and
heartfelt (I still don't recognize the need for him to apologize) or was he
responding to pressure from sponsors.

Is there a URL for the apology? I'd like to read what he thinks he's
apologizing for.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old January 12th 06, 10:28 PM

Chuck wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Bode Miller apologized for his comments regarding drinking and skiing. I
have to say, I'm surprised. Not as a reflection on Bode Miller, pro or con,
I'm just surprised that he apologized. I guess I wasn't expecting it; maybe
because it hadn't crossed my mind that it was necessary.

Now the cynic in me wonders if his apology was personal, sincere, and
heartfelt (I still don't recognize the need for him to apologize) or was he
responding to pressure from sponsors.

Is there a URL for the apology? I'd like to read what he thinks he's
apologizing for.

Try
http://news.google.com/news?q=bode+miller+apology&hl=en&edition=usa&ie=UT F-8&scoring=d

Here's an article on it from that search:
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1499416

Old January 12th 06, 10:50 PM

Bryan wrote:
Bode Miller apologized for his comments regarding drinking and skiing. I
have to say, I'm surprised. Not as a reflection on Bode Miller, pro or con,
I'm just surprised that he apologized. I guess I wasn't expecting it; maybe
because it hadn't crossed my mind that it was necessary.

I think it hadn't crossed most people's minds that it was necessary,
outside of certain uptight members of the American public and certain
mucketymucks at USSA. I can't imagine a European thinking the whole
business was anything but a stupid joke. On skiracing.com they had a
couple of comments from Raich and Strobl to the effect of, "So what's
the big deal?"

Now the cynic in me wonders if his apology was personal, sincere, and
heartfelt (I still don't recognize the need for him to apologize) or was he
responding to pressure from sponsors.

I doubt it was sponsors, really. I suspect it was in some measure
pressure from Marolt, and maybe a more personal plea from his coaches:
come on, guy, we know you could chuck it all tomorrow and be fine with
it, but it would make things a lot better for _us_ if we had a good
showing at this Olympics...

Anyway, no one will ever know but the flies on the wall, and they're not
talking. But it's interesting to note just what he apologized _for_,
which was not what the stick-up-the-butt crowd were ready to tar and
feather him for. It didn't seem like the apology came hard for Bode,
and Marolt seemed fine with it too. So, yeah, I'd say they found some
kind of middle ground that everyone could be okay with, and like you,
I'm surprised that they were able to do that.

Old January 13th 06, 12:35 AM

"Chuck" wrote in message
news

http://tinyurl.com/ctbeh

Old January 13th 06, 06:10 AM

Bryan wrote:
Bode Miller apologized for his comments regarding drinking and
skiing.

Pity. He should have told them to get stuffed.

--
ant

Old January 13th 06, 03:47 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

I doubt it was sponsors, really. I suspect it was in some measure
pressure from Marolt, and maybe a more personal plea from his coaches:
come on, guy, we know you could chuck it all tomorrow and be fine with
it, but it would make things a lot better for _us_ if we had a good
showing at this Olympics...

Marolt was getting "swamped" with phone calls from angry sponsors and
donors.

http://tinyurl.com/d4lnm

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old January 13th 06, 05:01 PM

Chuck wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

I doubt it was sponsors, really. I suspect it was in some measure
pressure from Marolt, and maybe a more personal plea from his coaches:
come on, guy, we know you could chuck it all tomorrow and be fine with
it, but it would make things a lot better for _us_ if we had a good
showing at this Olympics...

Marolt was getting "swamped" with phone calls from angry sponsors and
donors.

So he says. No numbers and no names, there.

By the way, Chuck, howzabout that Bode Miller skiing drunk, huh? He
said "wasted" so it meant "drunk", right?

Old January 13th 06, 05:54 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

I doubt it was sponsors, really. I suspect it was in some measure
pressure from Marolt, and maybe a more personal plea from his coaches:
come on, guy, we know you could chuck it all tomorrow and be fine with
it, but it would make things a lot better for _us_ if we had a good
showing at this Olympics...

Marolt was getting "swamped" with phone calls from angry sponsors and
donors.

So he says. No numbers and no names, there.

By the way, Chuck, howzabout that Bode Miller skiing drunk, huh? He
said "wasted" so it meant "drunk", right?

Have you actually read his apology? Or are you just trying to interpret
his words for us again?

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old January 13th 06, 06:08 PM

Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

I doubt it was sponsors, really. I suspect it was in some measure
pressure from Marolt, and maybe a more personal plea from his coaches:
come on, guy, we know you could chuck it all tomorrow and be fine with
it, but it would make things a lot better for _us_ if we had a good
showing at this Olympics...

Marolt was getting "swamped" with phone calls from angry sponsors and
donors.

So he says. No numbers and no names, there.

By the way, Chuck, howzabout that Bode Miller skiing drunk, huh? He
said "wasted" so it meant "drunk", right?

Have you actually read his apology? Or are you just trying to interpret
his words for us again?

I've read what was published (and I hardly think you're in a position to
talk about interpreting words). I'll provide you with a quote, as follows:

"I want to come straight out and apologize to my family and friends and
also the people who have supported me along the way," said Miller.
"Because of the way I made those comments in the 60 Minutes interview,
it caused a lot of confusion and pain."

Any words in there about skiing drunk? Any words you can find in the
apology about skiing drunk?

I'll also point you once again to the Denver Post column in which Bode
made it clear he was talking about being hung over, not drunk.

Now, if you can come up with something to refute all that, please do so.
Otherwise, it might be past time for you to eat some words of your own.

Bode Miller Apology Walt Alpine Skiing 0 January 12th 06 09:29 PM
Bode Miller: in the (general) public eye Mary Malmros Alpine Skiing 0 March 15th 05 12:27 PM
"because no one cares about skiing in the U.S." - Bode Miller Marty Alpine Skiing 0 March 14th 05 03:56 AM
The Further Adventures of Bode Miller (spoilers) sjjohnston Alpine Skiing 8 December 16th 04 05:26 AM
Bode Miller wins career-first World Cup downhill koikeeper Alpine Skiing 1 November 28th 04 03:17 AM