Mr Miller

Old January 7th 06, 05:30 AM

Default Mr Miller

Did you hear Bode is going to be on 60 minutes this Sunday?

Old January 7th 06, 05:51 AM

downhill wrote:
Did you hear Bode is going to be on 60 minutes this Sunday?

Is he going to talk about the article I read in the paper today where he
thinks it's really cool to ski (and race) drunk?

Janet

Old January 7th 06, 02:28 PM

Janet wrote:

downhill wrote:

Did you hear Bode is going to be on 60 minutes this Sunday?

Is he going to talk about the article I read in the paper today where
he thinks it's really cool to ski (and race) drunk?

Janet

I think so....
What paper? Is there a url for the article?

michael

Old January 7th 06, 02:30 PM

Janet wrote:

downhill wrote:

Did you hear Bode is going to be on 60 minutes this Sunday?

Is he going to talk about the article I read in the paper today where
he thinks it's really cool to ski (and race) drunk?

Janet

Found the link
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...ticleid=120252

Old January 7th 06, 06:33 PM

"Janet" wrote in message
downhill wrote:
Did you hear Bode is going to be on 60 minutes this Sunday?

Is he going to talk about the article I read in the paper today
where he thinks it's really cool to ski (and race) drunk?

Janet

The snips I've read have him talking about how he's done it, not how
he "thinks it's cool".

My bet is that Bode drunk is in more control than 100% of the borders
and 80% of the skiers out there.

Old January 7th 06, 06:59 PM

pigo wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message

downhill wrote:

Did you hear Bode is going to be on 60 minutes this Sunday?

Is he going to talk about the article I read in the paper today
where he thinks it's really cool to ski (and race) drunk?

Janet

The snips I've read have him talking about how he's done it, not how
he "thinks it's cool".

My bet is that Bode drunk is in more control than 100% of the borders
and 80% of the skiers out there.

But when you are the focus of the media glare and try to exploit it for
your gain there are things as a role model for youths you do not want to
come out. May be if you write a tell all book 30 years after the fact
but it can be a sponsor & future project killer if you do it during
your prime.
I am reading the Bill Johnson book and wondering if Bode used him as a
role model?

Old January 7th 06, 08:03 PM

Janet wrote:

downhill wrote:

Did you hear Bode is going to be on 60 minutes this Sunday?

Is he going to talk about the article I read in the paper today where he
thinks it's really cool to ski (and race) drunk?

That's a pretty radical misrepresentation.

Old January 7th 06, 10:30 PM

downhill wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Janet wrote:

downhill wrote:

Did you hear Bode is going to be on 60 minutes this Sunday?

Is he going to talk about the article I read in the paper today where
he thinks it's really cool to ski (and race) drunk?

That's a pretty radical misrepresentation.

listening to WCBS in NYC traffic they basically summed up the Sunday
night story as he hoped he would not get disqualified in post race tech
for being drunk.

Hmm, that's about the third different spin I've heard on it. And kind
of surprising, too. I mean, c'mon -- the World Cup mostly takes place
in Europe, where as near as I can tell the drinking "age" is "tall
enough to see over the bar," and where Bode got (besides his prize
money) his weight in local wine when he won some race last year. I
have a hard time believing the FIS is having people blow into balloons
post-race, except if they're looking to decorate the party venue. I
mean, it's _post_ race, and that is...uh...Miller time.

But the story in Boston Globe was he was shocked that it was being
presented that way. He has failed to realize how the media will distort
from his meaning every statement he makes. You repeat the shock
statements and forget to air the clarifying statements.

To be fair, this didn't happen for the past three years, because between
Olympic years, ski racing is invisible in the USA. Now the stiffs at
the major media sports desks are all waking up and saying, "Uhhh, okay,
anyone wearing the red white and blue gonna win anything in this one?
Okay let's go dig up something interesting about 'em." So I guess it is
quite sudden for him.

Old January 7th 06, 11:14 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

[...]

But many of the comments in SR waxroom and other publications mention Mr
Miller's partying most of the other athletes do not do it publicly.
But when he made the drug comment earlier in the season he put on the
bulls eye and walked out in front of a few FIS target shooters, anything
to discredit the americans!
I am planning to watch the interview, more comments to follow.

Old January 8th 06, 01:21 AM

"downhill" wrote in message

But when you are the focus of the media glare and try to exploit it
for your gain there are things as a role model for youths you do
not want to come out. May be if you write a tell all book 30 years
after the fact but it can be a sponsor & future project killer if
you do it during your prime.

I'm not disputing that. I'm just correcting what the agenda driven
said.

As far as role models are concerned, if the parents can't teach kids
the difference, **** 'em. I think that just because he skis well he
shouldn't be able to live his own life to make up for some retards
poor parenting skills. But he also should be aware of marketing
pressures that make negatively effect him (right or wrong).

I am reading the Bill Johnson book and wondering if Bode used him
as a role model?

Bill is a cool guy. But I haven't seen him since the brain injury.