California Snow was: Posts wanted!

Old January 6th 06, 05:45 AM

Mary Malmros wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
"Mary Malmros" wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

Mammoth-Sierra snowpack (official gumint figures):

Fie upon you. Here in the Northeast we're really struggling along,
on bits and pieces. If we could get a good two-foot dump we'd be
in good shape, but there's nothing like that on the horizon.

Time for another sacrifice...

It's worse than you think. The snowpack figures are in equivalent
inches of liquid water.

HATE you! We have NOTHING more than snow showers in the ten-day
forecast. It's enough to make you wail and gnash your teeth.

Mary, Killington just sent me a "Powder Alert"

You know, that's nice, but...five whole inches. Come on. We need a good
two-foot dump and you know it, not this itsy-bitsy four-five-six inches at
a time stuff.

Hmph. Around here, 5 is a large number.

Snow Summit uses strange math. They've been claiming 12 inches on the open
runs for several weeks. Then they bragged about a six-inch dump and there was
still 12 inches on the open runs.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old January 6th 06, 03:42 PM

klaus wrote:
wrote:
Or just make a trip west. Got todays paper and they say Summit County
CO has the fourth best early season ever. And the snowiest months are
still in front of us.

Oct - Dec
1893 - 149"
1983 - 137"
1969 - 128"
2005 - 111"

Those numbers look grim.

http://www.skisolitude.com/mountain_report.cfm

-klaus

Yet I still see plenty of closed trails on that report. Guess it can't
be that good over there yet.

snoig

Old January 6th 06, 04:02 PM

klaus wrote:
wrote:

Or just make a trip west. Got todays paper and they say Summit County
CO has the fourth best early season ever. And the snowiest months are
still in front of us.

Oct - Dec
1893 - 149"
1983 - 137"
1969 - 128"
2005 - 111"

Those numbers look grim.

http://www.skisolitude.com/mountain_report.cfm

-klaus

Yes they do........

Mammoth Mountain
2005/06 Seasonal snowfall total: 247"

Jan: 95" to date
Jan 02 40"
Jan 01 55"

Past months
Dec: 120" total
Dec 31 20"
Dec 30 10"
Dec 28 8"
Dec 25 12"
Dec 21 4"
Dec 18 25"
Dec 17 12"
Dec 08 2"
Dec 07 3"
Dec 01 24"

Nov 23"
Oct 7"

Old January 6th 06, 05:16 PM

klaus wrote:
wrote:
Or just make a trip west. Got todays paper and they say Summit County
CO has the fourth best early season ever. And the snowiest months are
still in front of us.

Oct - Dec
1893 - 149"
1983 - 137"
1969 - 128"
2005 - 111"

Those numbers look grim.

http://www.skisolitude.com/mountain_report.cfm

-klaus

Yet I still see plenty of closed trails on that report. Guess it can't
be that good over there yet.

Nope. All open. The black/gray on the runs is groomed/not
groomed. The gray == closed is for the facilities. The only things
closed run wise are due to avalanche hazard. Or maybe the solbright
trail. But you are right, it's not that good yet.

-klaus

Old January 6th 06, 07:32 PM

klaus wrote:

wrote:
Oct - Dec
1893 - 149"
1983 - 137"
1969 - 128"
2005 - 111"

Those numbers look grim.

http://www.skisolitude.com/mountain_report.cfm

-klaus

I think the numbers snoig was quoting were from measurments
NOT at a ski area. They are probably more real, as here in
Colorado, there is a lot of demand for water, thus we need to
know how much water we will be seeing next spring. I take
the measurments of a ski area with a huge grain of salt.
Their numbers are to attract skiers.

Sam "Once the rocks are covered, snow depth looses meaning" Seiber

Old January 6th 06, 09:22 PM

Sam Seiber wrote:

I think the numbers snoig was quoting were from measurments
NOT at a ski area. They are probably more real, as here in
Colorado, there is a lot of demand for water, thus we need to
know how much water we will be seeing next spring. I take
the measurments of a ski area with a huge grain of salt.
Their numbers are to attract skiers.

Solitude's, and at least Alta's are directly reflected in their NWS
SnoTel sites which are automated. Maybe Brighton, too.You can check it
yourself in the middle of the night every fifteen minutes and it jives
with what gets reported from what I've seen. And I compare it to what
falls in the meadow, which also seems to jive. I haven't seen much
exaggeration in the Cottonwoods resorts claims. Too many folks double
checking.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/snow/getob.php?sid=sol

-klaus

Old January 10th 06, 06:26 AM

On 01/06/2006 08:42 AM, in article
, "
wrote:

klaus wrote:
wrote:
Or just make a trip west. Got todays paper and they say Summit County
CO has the fourth best early season ever. And the snowiest months are
still in front of us.

Oct - Dec
1893 - 149"
1983 - 137"
1969 - 128"
2005 - 111"

Those numbers look grim.

http://www.skisolitude.com/mountain_report.cfm

-klaus

Yet I still see plenty of closed trails on that report. Guess it can't
be that good over there yet.

Not closed trails ... Ungroomed trails.

--
Steven L. Sheffield