back-protector

Old January 5th 06, 08:18 PM

Default back-protector

Hi,
my son (9 years, 120 cm) wants a back protector for skiing and snowboarding.
Do I have to take care of anything, or are all protectors more or less ok?
Thanks,
Hermann

Old January 6th 06, 02:37 AM

"Hermann Ulbricht" wrote in message
Hi,
my son (9 years, 120 cm) wants a back protector for skiing and
snowboarding. Do I have to take care of anything, or are all protectors
more or less ok?
Thanks,
Hermann

What is a back protector?

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old January 6th 06, 03:16 AM

JQ wrote:
"Hermann Ulbricht" wrote in message

Hi,
my son (9 years, 120 cm) wants a back protector for skiing and
snowboarding. Do I have to take care of anything, or are all protectors
more or less ok?
Thanks,
Hermann

What is a back protector?

JQ
Dancing on the edge

I think its like motocross body armor. I've seen some kids wearing it
along with full on motocross helmets...you know, because the guys in the
movies do it.

-g

Old January 6th 06, 03:29 AM

"Glareice" wrote in message
JQ wrote:
"Hermann Ulbricht" wrote in message

Hi,
my son (9 years, 120 cm) wants a back protector for skiing and
snowboarding. Do I have to take care of anything, or are all protectors
more or less ok?
Thanks,
Hermann

What is a back protector?

JQ
Dancing on the edge

I think its like motocross body armor. I've seen some kids wearing it
along with full on motocross helmets...you know, because the guys in the
movies do it.

-g

I understand a kidney support and all the other gear worn for motocross but
for skiing and snowboard.
Snowboarders some times use butt pad, wrist guards & helmet but I never
heard of a back protector and especially for skiing. Now if his son is
doing some sort of quasi military combat training with full contact
maneuvers. I guess maybe his son is playing too many video games.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old January 6th 06, 03:42 AM

JQ wrote:

"Hermann Ulbricht" wrote in message

Hi,
my son (9 years, 120 cm) wants a back protector for skiing and
snowboarding. Do I have to take care of anything, or are all protectors
more or less ok?
Thanks,
Hermann

What is a back protector?

I've seen 'em used by racers in speed events...sorta ninja turtle armor.
I don't know why a 9 year old would want one.

Old January 6th 06, 05:38 AM

Mary Malmros wrote:
JQ wrote:

"Hermann Ulbricht" wrote in message

Hi,
my son (9 years, 120 cm) wants a back protector for skiing and
snowboarding. Do I have to take care of anything, or are all
protectors more or less ok?
Thanks,
Hermann

What is a back protector?

I've seen 'em used by racers in speed events...sorta ninja turtle armor.
I don't know why a 9 year old would want one.

My guess would be because the racers wear it. Maybe the kids think it's
cool.

Janet

Old January 6th 06, 04:57 PM

On 2006-01-06, JQ penned:

Snowboarders some times use
butt pad, wrist guards & helmet but I never heard of a back
protector and especially for skiing.

Have you seen what the mogul competitors wear? (skiing)

If the kid is trying back flips and stuff like that, a back protector
doesn't sound like the worst idea. Although I'd imagine it would get
in the way of the flex you need to do them.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 6th 06, 11:30 PM

JQ wrote:

"Glareice" wrote in message

JQ wrote:

[...]

http://www.reliableracing.com/detail...&category=3510

I have seen a number of racers using them, if you have ever done a high
speed slide on a icy course back first into an object like a gate you
would see a purpose for them.