A little equipment info

Old December 13th 05, 12:01 AM
HeadOverHeals HeadOverHeals is offline
Junior Member

Location: Aurora, Co
Question A little equipment info

For starters...HI!!!

I have been on many forums but mainly towards Ford trucks....so I thought I would come here for Ski info since I am a newbie.

I went skiing for the first time in about 10 years just last week. Loved it more than I remembered so I started shopping for ski equipment. Now, I am only 5'9", (ok...I am being honest here...Ugh). weigh 180, and when I was skiing before, I only went about 6 times and so I am putting myself in the mid novice range since I can get down a blue run without crashing, although I still have problems with parallel turns so I tend to "plow" my way down the hill.
I just picked up a new set of 154cm Rossignol Driver X6 skis, (2005 and not the Women's X 6L), New boots that I got fitted at the sports shop, (Nordica Easy Move), and a set of used, but in great condition Rossignol FD 70 bindings.
Now I am about to take them to the shop to have it all installed and mounted, but I am concerned that it seems the skis have alot of flex to them. I can squeeze them together with two fingers. Do the bindings and mounting plates stiffen them up? Did I go with a too small or lightweight ski? I am a beginner so I went that direction. The skis come to about my top lip and I was told by the rental shop in Loveland, that is where I should be at until I get more experience then I can go with a longer ski.

I couldn't resist at the price for the skis for $42 and yes they are new. Just got them and they still had the factory plastic layer I had to peal off. The bindings were only $28.

Thoughts? Digs? .....laughing?

Thanks all!
Old December 16th 05, 09:33 PM

On 2005-12-15, HeadOverHeals penned:

[snip]

Now I am about to take them to the shop to have it all installed and
mounted, but I am concerned that it seems the skis have alot of flex to
them. I can squeeze them together with two fingers. Do the bindings
and mounting plates stiffen them up? Did I go with a too small or
lightweight ski? I am a beginner so I went that direction. The skis
come to about my top lip and I was told by the rental shop in Loveland,
that is where I should be at until I get more experience then I can go
with a longer ski.

I haven't bought newbie skis in quite a while, but some thoughts:

Skis are a lot shorter than they were 10 years ago. I wouldn't worry
about these skis being too short for a good long while.

Stiffness also isn't as important as it was 10 years ago. In skis,
that is.

Now, about that plowing. Take the cash you saved in buying your gear
and invest in some lessons. You're almost certainly on shaped skis,
and you want to use a different technique than you were taught 10
years ago. While you're taking lessons, talk to the instructor about
gear. S/he will be in a better position to help you, having seen you
and your skiing style.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 17th 05, 02:56 AM
HeadOverHeals HeadOverHeals is offline
Junior Member

Location: Aurora, Co

[snip]Now, about that plowing. Take the cash you saved in buying your gear
and invest in some lessons. You're almost certainly on shaped skis,
and you want to use a different technique than you were taught 10
years ago. While you're taking lessons, talk to the instructor about
gear. S/he will be in a better position to help you, having seen you
and your skiing style.

THANK YOU!

I called up and got a good deal. 3 lessons for $250 total, Minus rentals since I already have my gear = 3 lessons $for 175 and I get a free season pass afterwards. ANd yes...they are shaped.

Thanks for the advice!
Old December 18th 05, 05:24 AM

HeadOverHeals wrote:
[...]

These things just might be what you should be on.

I'm not particularly familiar with the Rossi line
in recent years. But the rig seems OK and the price
was certainly right.

I'm 6' tall 200# and an athletic old-timer.
I've skied a whole season on skis as short
at 153cm. You might like them.

VtSkier

Old December 19th 05, 05:43 PM

On 2005-12-18, HeadOverHeals penned:

[snip]

Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that it bore fruit.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 23rd 05, 03:51 PM

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:25:03 -0500, HeadOverHeals
wrote:

-
[snip]Now, about that plowing. Take the cash you saved in buying your
gear
and invest in some lessons. You're almost certainly on shaped skis,
and you want to use a different technique than you were taught 10
years ago. While you're taking lessons, talk to the instructor about
gear. S/he will be in a better position to help you, having seen you
and your skiing style.-

THANK YOU!

I called up and got a good deal. 3 lessons for $250 total, Minus
rentals since I already have my gear = 3 lessons $for 175 and I get a
free season pass afterwards. ANd yes...they are shaped.

You mentioned Loveland earlier; is that where your pass is? Wherever
it is, that's a major score for you, and some unusually savvy
marketing for them. Let's see, new gear that fits your level pretty
well, three lessons, and a season pass for about $250?
Congratulations, and enjoy it!

bw