Package type deals

Old December 2nd 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Bill

Default Package type deals

Having done self drive and self organised for years I am in the
position of needed to do a package type deal this year. Car to **** to
get to Alps and back. Don't mind organising flights / transfers
myself.

Preferably Tarentaise or maybe Flaine, flight from MAN or EMA or
similar. Appt for 2 adults 2 kids we will self cater. Going last
weekend in March, any ideas where to get best deals?

Have found a 6 person appt in centre of Val D'Isere for about £1300
for the 4 of us, didn't seem too bad?

Bill
Old December 3rd 08, 10:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Dec 2, 10:00*am, Bill wrote:
Having done self drive and self organised for years I am in the
position of needed to do a package type deal this year. Car to **** to
get to Alps and back. Don't mind organising flights / transfers
myself.

Preferably Tarentaise or maybe Flaine, *flight from MAN or EMA or
similar. *Appt for 2 adults 2 kids we will self cater. *Going last
weekend in March, *any ideas where to get best deals?

Have found a 6 person appt in centre of Val D'Isere for about £1300
for the 4 of us, *didn't seem too bad?

Bill

There should be good deals around for March although prices have
generally been set quite low in the first place. For accommodation
only you can try http://www.skicollection.co.uk/default.cfm/loaddoc.442
and
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/special-offers amongst others

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk
Old December 3rd 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PSmith[_2_]

Outside of school holidays, I would wait for the operators to announce the
last minute deals (often released 6 weeks before departure).

Personally, I have booked flights (£700: LHR to GVA via FRA) and a (small)
apartment (£500) for Zermatt for the February half term. Great deal for a
family of four! Mind you, I booked it last April! I am hoping that Lufthansa
wont impose surcharges! It's worth pointing out that some resorts (Zermatt
included) offer free lift passes for young children. I don't believe French
resorts are so generous?

Paul

Old December 4th 08, 10:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Bill wrote:
Having done self drive and self organised for years I am in the
position of needed to do a package type deal this year. Car to **** to
get to Alps and back. Don't mind organising flights / transfers
myself.

Preferably Tarentaise or maybe Flaine, flight from MAN or EMA or
similar. Appt for 2 adults 2 kids we will self cater. Going last
weekend in March, any ideas where to get best deals?

Have found a 6 person appt in centre of Val D'Isere for about £1300
for the 4 of us, didn't seem too bad?

Bill

Bill,

The organisation of the self organised ski trip using public transport
is really no different than that of a self drive.

Draw up a list of resorts

Visit their web sites and look at the immobiliers and their booking
sites for example http://www.alpes-horizon.com/.

Search, search some more and keep going until you find what you want. I
take it you are after a 2 room apartment. There are far fewer of these
than studios. Do not pay much attention to how many people it should
sleep but concentrate the floor area. IMHO you should be looking for at
least 30m2 for 4 of you.

Book accomadation. The £1300 in Val d'Isere looks very high to me. A 2
room apartment in Mottaret will cost 570 euro

Search for transport options to France

If you are not driving then the options are train, plane or a
combination. Or if you really want to save money then the Snowcoach
sevice from London to the 2 vallies looks excellent value

Visit the usual suspects: EasyJet, Flybe Ryanair etc. and the less
obvious ones such as Air France, that are often cheeper. Whatever price
the no frills airlines are advertising expect to pay 2 to 3 times as
much. Eurostar sevices are staggering expensive and require you to get
to Ashford on London, but a cheep flight to Paris and the sleeper from
their to Bourg st. Maurice is a very good alternative.

Now the shock: sort out transfers. My wife was looking at how to get to
Les Arcs on Christmas eve and found a good fare to Geneva, but the coach
from there to Les Arcs was 70 euro one way! In the end she booked a
flight to Chamberey for slightly more and noted that the train costs
only 29 euro.

Without doubt transfers are the biggest difficulty in a DIY trip.

Hope this helps.

John
Old December 6th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mister Niceguy

"PSmith" paulDOTsmith_UK@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk wrote in
:

Outside of school holidays, I would wait for the operators to announce
the last minute deals (often released 6 weeks before departure).

Personally, I have booked flights (£700: LHR to GVA via FRA) and a
(small) apartment (£500) for Zermatt for the February half term. Great
deal for a family of four! Mind you, I booked it last April! I am
hoping that Lufthansa wont impose surcharges! It's worth pointing out
that some resorts (Zermatt included) offer free lift passes for young
children. I don't believe French resorts are so generous?

We normally wait till last minute too (family of 6) and have picked up some
great half-board Christmas deals in the past for around £400 per person
package.

This year we're going away New Year and it's more expensive (almost as
expeensive as half term). But we found some good flight-only prices on
Inghams' website - MAN-INN for £184 return. And we found a 3* hotel in the
Stubai for around 3000 euros for the family. All-in we're talking about
£550 per person which is more than we'd like to pay but still cheaper than
packages we could find. Always hard when there's 6 of you. Many last-
minute deals seem to be when hotels only have one or two rooms available.