Favourite resort & run

Old August 11th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stu Hutch

Default Favourite resort & run

What is your favourite resort, and run within that resort?

--
S. T. Hutchinson

Old August 11th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:54:29 +0100, "Stu Hutch"
wrote this crap:

What is your favourite resort, and run within that resort?

Good question. Local resort, or out of town?

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old August 11th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Aug 11, 1:54 pm, "Stu Hutch" wrote:
What is your favourite resort, and run within that resort?

--
S. T. Hutchinson

Snowbird by far. Favorite run is hard...I think ya gotta go with
Cirque or Upper Cirque...So many little chutes to choose from.
Different almost every time you go down. Muy fun.

Old August 11th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mighty Chris

My favorite inbounds run nowadays is probably the general area of
Surf's Up on Blackcomb, when there's snow. One of my favorite hikes is
DOA. DOA is barely in the Blackcomb backcountry. It's a 10-25 foot
wide chute, mebbe 500-700 vertical feet leading to a really nice wide
open apron which is usually deep powder. It brings you out into the
far skier's left edge of 7th Heaven on Blackcomb.

Here's video of it from this winter: http://youtube.com/watch?v=T8MxxGpM8pI

Chris

Old August 11th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

On Aug 11, 1:54 pm, "Stu Hutch" wrote:
What is your favourite resort, and run within that resort?

--
S. T. Hutchinson

Now it has to be Stonecrusher or High Rustler at Alta. Before the
infestation I would have to say Dead Bob's Chute at Crested Butte.

Old August 15th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Aug 11, 9:54 pm, "Stu Hutch" wrote:

What is your favourite resort, and run within that resort?

As far as runs go Pas de Chevre in Chamonix is an off-piste classic
and near the top of my list, even though I've heard that lately it's
been getting crowded. Some variants of Vallee Blanche are great too,
but impossible to ski without a guide, unless one has balls of steel
and thinks following the tracks of guided groups is wise (I don't
think so).

Old August 16th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mighty Chris

Ooh very well said there dude.

I got really lucky once--- I went to university with a french ski
dude. After graduating I planned to spend a winter skiing in Europe,
so I asked him where to go. He said Chamonix for the Off Piste.

I didn't know what the hell Off Piste meant but I figured he knew what
he was talking about.

My first major "Off Piste" experience was skiing the tourist route
down the Vallee Blanche by moonlight on Christmas Eve. It had hardly
been skied yet that year so the front dude was breaking trail. I could
so easily have fallen into a crevasse and died but I was only vaguely
aware of that at the time. We finished and skied back to the village
in time to meet friends in the bar.

Absolutely amazing unforgettable experience.

I have to get back to Chamonix one of these winters...

Chris

Old August 16th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mighty Chris

Remind me what the Pas de Chevre is--- I recognize the name but I cant
remember it.

Chris

Old August 16th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Wayne Decker

Since they are in my backyard and I do not have to travel to get
there--Midweek runs on either Mammoth or June. Weekend runs on June. @
Mammoth, inbounds, I stick to the back--anything off chairs 9 or 14. when
there I freshies, Off-pist, Anything off Lincoln Mountain, the Dragon's Back
or back in the Hemlocks will keep entertained. Since the tourists and
newbies aren't here during the mid-week, it is a great place to be. On
weekends I steer clear of the tourists and ski at June with the rest of my
Eastern Sierra friends enjoying our days off. At June I stick to everything
off J7 both on and off the groomers--unless there are freshies on Carson..

Old August 16th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

Mighty Chris wrote:
Remind me what the Pas de Chevre is---

No goats up here, oh no, far too dangerous