Noob clothing question..

Old November 30th 03, 12:25 AM
Calz

Default Noob clothing question..

Hi,

Currently taking lessons and getting on all right, all booked up to go out
first week of Feb so been looking out at jackets/pants.

My main question is down to warmth and been looking through the Bonfire,
Burton gear etc it talks about waterproof and breathability but not how warm
it is, on say a jacket in the RRP of £150-£200 what would you wear beneath
it? Just a fleece or more and the pants, do you wear anything beneath them?

Steve

Old November 30th 03, 03:17 AM
4matic

Personally, I carry 5 upper layers and 3 lower layers including shell. I
like silk for a lightweight first layer and polypro for a heavier first or
second layer. Additional layers are of various thickness polar fleece.

Old December 1st 03, 12:10 PM
Keith

"4matic" wrote in message
m...
Personally, I carry 5 upper layers and 3 lower layers including shell. I
like silk for a lightweight first layer and polypro for a heavier first or
second layer. Additional layers are of various thickness polar fleece.

Yowza. Normally I settle for a cheap-ass Gap t-shirt and a pair of boxers
under my Burton Tactic 5/3 jacket + Quiksilver trousers. I've never been too
cold, but then most of my boarding has been done later on in the season. I
can't imagine ever needing a warmer jacket; I actually got myself a lighter
jacket last season because the Tactic was too hot more or less the whole
time!

If it came to the crunch I'd add a hoody or a fleece. Nothing too hardcore.

My main question is down to warmth and been looking through the Bonfire,
Burton gear etc it talks about waterproof and breathability but not how

warm
it is, on say a jacket in the RRP of £150-£200 what would you wear

beneath
it? Just a fleece or more and the pants, do you wear anything beneath

them?

If you're spending £150-200, you should be getting yourself a fairly decent
jacket. It's worth looking at last season's stuff; you'll get a better
jacket for far less cash. In fact, this goes for practically anything you'll
need for boarding. I'm a sale junkie.

Keith

Old December 1st 03, 06:12 PM
Jason Watkins

There's really two theories to follow. Some people like a jacket that
is just a shell to block wind and water. Typically you'll want to wear
fleece, wool or some other insulation under the shell. For next to
your skin synthetic long underwear helps you feel dry and cozy...
avoid wearing a cotton t-shirt or jeans... it can get soggy and just
not fun.

The other theory is to get jackets/pants that are insulated, and so
you don't have to wear much underneath them. This may end up being a
little less bukly, but you lose the ability to switch out layers to
match temperature. Where I am we have a long and warm spring skiing
season, so by May I'm just wearing the shell with a thin synthetic
shirt underneath. With built in insulation in my jacket or pants I'd
die.

There's really no good way to describe how warm a jacket or fleece is.
A lot of places will list a weight like 100, 200, or 300, so you can
guess if you're familiar with how warm those versions of polartec
brand fleece are. But mostly you should just go try stuff on in a
store. Find what you want, then find it cheap online somewhere.

Ohh... and I have yet to hear anyone who didn't love bonfire.
Old December 1st 03, 06:59 PM
Mike T

There's really two theories to follow.
-snip-

I agree with the "get a shell and fill in layers" theory, especially
because for me, a shell and a single synthetic long-john layer works in
any temp from just under freezing on up. I add a fleece layer when it's
25 F or under.

Ohh... and I have yet to hear anyone who didn't love bonfire.

I wasn't crazy about their pants when I tried them on in the store...
didn't seem to fit very well - never used them out in the elements
though.

FWIW I get pants and jackets from Great Outdoor Clothing Company.
(http://www.greatoutdoorclothing.com) They typically have a beginning
of year sale at their outlets... I got a Summit jacket for $100 and
pants for $50. Their stuff lasts, very well - my previous jacket lasted
6 years (as opposed to 2 years for a Helly Hansen) and I typically get
new pants every year, since (as Jason can attest to) most of my crashes
involve sliding on my left hip which wears through any fabric pretty
fast. Not sure whether they ship across the pond though!

Old December 2nd 03, 11:08 PM
Jason M.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

My additional small comments:
1. Dont wear cotton. It soaks water (snow, sweat) like a sponge, and
doesn't dry fast. If you get stuck overnight in wet cotton, you will
have hypothermia.
2. Wool is good. Insulates when it is wet. Doesn't have as strong a
"stink memory" as polypro and spandex.
3. Always have a good waterproof shell. You can go a long way with a
thin, but good, shell. Especially if you are in coastal mountains,
where the snow has a much higher water content.

ski travel question moon General 1 January 27th 04 10:25 PM
Tahoe Question Kevin General 2 November 25th 03 04:59 AM
Oakley clothing Mark Drayton Snowboarding 0 November 21st 03 08:48 AM
Question on new boot fit (off slope) toddjb Snowboarding 1 October 9th 03 03:55 PM
Where to buy clothing in UK? Tim Sampson Snowboarding 2 October 1st 03 10:33 AM