It happens in the best of neighborhoods ...

Old November 28th 14, 05:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default It happens in the best of neighborhoods ...

It's made the national news that some gun-toting redneck shot up the cop headquarters, the Mexican Embassy, and a Federal courthouse building last night around 2 a.m. here in Austin, TX.

What probably will not make the national news is that as soon as they'd IDed the perp (who was predictably shot dead by a 15-year cop), they did a Boston Marathon bomber-style raid in his neighborhood and ousted all his neighbors from their homes at 5 a.m. with no excuse other than "there was a threat."

The emptied-out neighborhood is still on police lockdown as I write this.
Old November 28th 14, 05:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

Did those people burn down their stores?

Old November 28th 14, 06:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Friday, November 28, 2014 11:44:10 AM UTC-6, pigo wrote:
On Friday, November 28, 2014 10:19:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Did those people burn down their stores?

In Austin? We've had only peaceful protests related to Ferguson. As far as whether "those people" in Ferguson burned down their own businesses, I've heard it asked whether store owners would take the opportunity to light a fire to pocket a big insurance check and walk away from an economically dead area.

But businesses like the auto dealership on Florissant Ave. one town over from Ferguson, I really don't think that the owners torched all their inventory on their display lot to collect on insurance. I'd place the blame equally on "those people" -- whoever they are -- and the local police and National Guardsmen, who provided zero protection for life or property.

Good thing it's ski-area weather in Ferguson right now, or we'd see yet another night of rioting, looting, and arson.
Old November 28th 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Friday, November 28, 2014 11:35:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

By "those people" I meant those at the Mexican Embassy, cop HQ, and Federal Courthouse. Nice try though.
Old November 28th 14, 11:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Friday, November 28, 2014 4:23:59 PM UTC-6, pigo wrote:

By "those people" I meant those at the Mexican Embassy, cop HQ, and Federal Courthouse. Nice try though.

Well, I don't think that the Federales on either side of the border would have torched their own offices here. They are mostly new offices, at least new-to-them.

As for the local cops? It's hard to speculate, but they've been in that same building since the mid-1970s. The last time I was in there, helping my dad through a traffic ticket he got before his Alzheimer's got so bad that he could not drive any more, the building was was pretty run down.

Hey, maybe the cops can use crowdfunding to help pay for repairing the damages.