Warren Miller films

Old October 29th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Warren Miller films

I chanced upon a Warren Miller film while channel surfing the other
day (Off the Grid, I think). I was depressed to realize that I found
it boring. After 52 skiers jumping over rocks and cliffs with no one
else in sight, that's enough. I enjoyed the films more when they
featured places I would actually go to, or things I could feel
superior to, like people falling when getting off chairlifts.

Perhaps a film showing bozo behavior by snowboarders would stir some
interest.
Old October 29th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 10/29/2010 04:10 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
I chanced upon a Warren Miller film while channel surfing the other
day (Off the Grid, I think). I was depressed to realize that I found
it boring. After 52 skiers jumping over rocks and cliffs with no one
else in sight, that's enough. I enjoyed the films more when they
featured places I would actually go to, or things I could feel
superior to, like people falling when getting off chairlifts.

Perhaps a film showing bozo behavior by snowboarders would stir some
interest.

uhm, why would you need a movie? just go to your local ski area.
Old October 29th 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Oct 29, 1:33*pm, VtSkier wrote:
On 10/29/2010 04:10 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

I chanced upon a Warren Miller film while channel surfing the other
day (Off the Grid, I think). *I was depressed to realize that I found
it boring. *After 52 skiers jumping over rocks and cliffs with no one
else in sight, that's enough. *I enjoyed the films more when they
featured places I would actually go to, or things I could feel
superior to, like people falling when getting off chairlifts.

Perhaps a film showing bozo behavior by snowboarders would stir some
interest.

uhm, why would you need a movie? just go to your local ski area.

Still no snow, although Mammoth (the limit of my "local" areas) is
promising something in a couple of weeks.

I first saw WM films on TV somewhere around 1960 on WCAX Ch 3 in
Vermont when growing up. His humorous style took away some of of the
angst I felt in those days when I could not keep up the big guys.
Old October 29th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

VtSkier wrote:
On 10/29/2010 04:10 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
I chanced upon a Warren Miller film while channel surfing the other
day (Off the Grid, I think). I was depressed to realize that I found
it boring. After 52 skiers jumping over rocks and cliffs with no one
else in sight, that's enough. I enjoyed the films more when they
featured places I would actually go to, or things I could feel
superior to, like people falling when getting off chairlifts.

Perhaps a film showing bozo behavior by snowboarders would stir some
interest.

uhm, why would you need a movie? just go to your local ski area.

There is no comfy chairs by the lift & The butter freezes on the popcorn!
Old October 29th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Oct 29, 2:10*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
I chanced upon a Warren Miller film while channel surfing the other
day (Off the Grid, I think). *I was depressed to realize that I found
it boring. *After 52 skiers jumping over rocks and cliffs with no one
else in sight, that's enough. *I enjoyed the films more when they
featured places I would actually go to, or things I could feel
superior to, like people falling when getting off chairlifts.

How many of those 52 guys did you see land the jumps? As I remember
they all cut out as the feet reached the ground. The guys I skied with
would take jumps of 20-30 feet. But we had to land them! Or walk back
up ourselves and get our ****. I quit watching those when I realized
what a farce they are.
Old October 30th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Oct 29, 1:10*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
I chanced upon a Warren Miller film while channel surfing the other
day (Off the Grid, I think). *I was depressed to realize that I found
it boring. *After 52 skiers jumping over rocks and cliffs with no one
else in sight, that's enough. *I enjoyed the films more when they
featured places I would actually go to, or things I could feel
superior to, like people falling when getting off chairlifts.

That's why I hang out here. So I can feel superior to you.

Perhaps a film showing bozo behavior by snowboarders would stir some
interest.

Or a newsgroup featuring bozo behavior by freaks, psychopaths,
pathological liars, dickless cowards, etc.
Makes me feel so superior.
Old October 30th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Oct 29, 3:52*pm, pigo wrote:
On Oct 29, 2:10*pm, Richard Henry wrote:

I chanced upon a Warren Miller film while channel surfing the other
day (Off the Grid, I think). *I was depressed to realize that I found
it boring. *After 52 skiers jumping over rocks and cliffs with no one
else in sight, that's enough. *I enjoyed the films more when they
featured places I would actually go to, or things I could feel
superior to, like people falling when getting off chairlifts.

How many of those 52 guys did you see land the jumps? As I remember
they all cut out as the feet reached the ground. The guys I skied with
would take jumps of 20-30 feet. But we had to land them! Or walk back
up ourselves and get our ****. I quit watching those when I realized
what a farce they are.

Holy ****. Brain Fried Bob tries to claim that he and his buddies are
better skiers than the Miller guys.
If you guys want to see something hilarious, how about me showing up
at Alta and saying hello to Bob just before he gets off the lift?
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old October 30th 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

I noticed today that there is a curious similarity in flavor between
Warren Miller's ski films and Anthony Bourdain's travel/food shows.
Old October 30th 10, 11:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 18:22:06 -0400, downhill
wrote this crap:

Perhaps a film showing bozo behavior by snowboarders would stir some
interest.

uhm, why would you need a movie? just go to your local ski area.

There is no comfy chairs by the lift & The butter freezes on the popcorn!

You buy the popcorn at the theater? Their prices are way too high. I
make my own at home and fill my pockets with it. That's why I can
afford a mansion and a yacht and you can't.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old October 30th 10, 01:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 22:51:20 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
wrote:

I noticed today that there is a curious similarity in flavor between
Warren Miller's ski films and Anthony Bourdain's travel/food shows.

How so?