First time on a board, wish me luck....

Old February 24th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
doetnietcomputeren

Default First time on a board, wish me luck....

I've been lurking here a little while and reading the archives waves to
familiar faces.

I'm off to Mammoth, CA on Thursday. Have a full day lesson booked on
Friday and some friends to provide encouragement/laughter on Saturday.

Can't wait to give it a whirl.

Any newbie tips received with thanks.

--
Dnc
Old February 24th 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

doetnietcomputeren wrote:

Any newbie tips received with thanks.

I can only quote the classics: "Go that way. Very, very fast. If
something gets in your way, turn."

Seriously, you're already doing the right thing by taking a lesson.
That will get you headed in the right direction technically more than
any typed advice ever will.

Just from a practical standpoint, make sure you have some good pants and
gloves. You will spend a lot of time as a newb on either your ass or
your knees and pushing your self up off the snow with your hands.
Avoiding getting wet will make your day a lot more comfortable.

Have fun!

Neil
Old February 26th 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 02:10:32 GMT, doetnietcomputeren
allegedly wrote:

Any newbie tips received with thanks.

You'll find this place much quieter and less volatile than the other
place. :-)

Neil's covered the staying dry bit. You might also consider some knee
pads and maybe some padding down your butt. You'll fall over a lot at the
start, and whilst it's important to learn to fall properly, you'll still
hit your knees and arse quite a lot. Protecting them a little means you
won't be so sore at the end of the day.

Having a hot tub after can help.

Write-off the evening, you'll be spent.

Stick with it. There'll be 2 or 3 days of falling over, frustration and
pain. At the end of it, it clicks and nirvana awaits.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old February 26th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

allegedly wrote:

Any newbie tips received with thanks.

You'll find this place much quieter and less volatile than the other
place. :-)

Neil's covered the staying dry bit. You might also consider some knee
pads and maybe some padding down your butt. You'll fall over a lot
at the start, and whilst it's important to learn to fall properly,
you'll still hit your knees and arse quite a lot. Protecting them a
little means you won't be so sore at the end of the day.

Having a hot tub after can help.

Write-off the evening, you'll be spent.

Stick with it. There'll be 2 or 3 days of falling over, frustration
and pain. At the end of it, it clicks and nirvana awaits.

The butt pad is one of the best things you can have. It keeps you warm and dry
through lots of sitting on the snow. I cut a blue foam camping pad 18" x 24".
Cut an 8" "T" from the bottom edge. 8" up, with a 4" top, rounding the edges of
the top, and reinforce with duct tape. Slip it under your bibbs as you put them
on. The "T" allows the foam to wrap around the back of your legs. This will
avoid a lot of potential bruises too.

And wear a helmet. It cuts down on whiplash when you hit hard on your back, by
limiting how far back your head goes before it hits the snow.

Old February 27th 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Logical Guy

Body armor, like this,
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ODY+ARMOR+2007
Mine fits under my jacket. Keeps the bruises to a minimum when sliding down the hill on your back
like a turtle.
And wrist guards, and a helmet.

Old February 27th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Feb 23, 9:10*pm, doetnietcomputeren
wrote:
I've been lurking here a little while and reading the archives waves to
familiar faces.

I'm off to Mammoth, CA on Thursday. Have a full day lesson booked on
Friday and some friends to provide encouragement/laughter on Saturday.

Can't wait to give it a whirl.

Any newbie tips received with thanks.

This reply is probably a bit late, since you've already had your
opening day by now, but I wish you good luck and much enjoyment. I
have vivid memories of my own beginnings in this sport, including a
classically bad first day (which you may read about at length if you
are interested:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...48c64fb296a1a).
If you persevere and take the occasionally bitter with the frequently
sweet, you will probably grow to love snowboarding the way the rest of
us have.

Some simple recommendations, mostly echoing what others have said:
1. Wrist guards and a helmet should be considered mandatory -- they
will help prevent injury. Make sure your gloves are big enough to fit
over wrist guards easily.
2. Knee pads are great for reducing discomfort. (Wear them under your
pants but over long underwear, if used.) You'll spend more time on
your knees than you imagine. I don't use a butt pad, but there have
been a few times when I wished I did.
3. Buy your own boots/board/bindings as soon as you can. Your
equipment doesn't have to be expensive, but it must be well-selected.
Good fitting, good performing gear will enable you to learn much
faster, and give you more pleasure and pride in what you are doing.
4. Get real snowboarding pants, preferably with a lot of pockets. They
are warm, waterproof, comfortable, convenient, and they fit over your
boots. Don't use ski pants or (horrors) jeans or the like.
5. Private lessons can be great. Group lessons should be avoided.
6. Simple stretching and strengthening exercises for your legs and
abdomen will make life on the slopes a little easier.
7. Full goggles are the norm, but are essential only if you will often
go into deep powder, areas with a lot of blowing snow, or extremely
cold environments. Personally, I prefer slightly oversized, wraparound
sunglasses (mine are prescription as well) because they give me a
larger field of view. That was particularly helpful when I was a
newbie -- with goggles I couldn't see my feet or the board without
moving my entire head, but with sunglasses all I have to do is move my
eyes.

Joe Ramirez
Old March 2nd 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
doetnietcomputeren

Switters wrote:
Any newbie tips received with thanks.

You'll find this place much quieter and less volatile than the other
place. :-)

Apparently so!

Neil's covered the staying dry bit. You might also consider some knee
pads and maybe some padding down your butt. You'll fall over a lot at the
start,

Ain't dat da troof.

Write-off the evening, you'll be spent.

I have never, ever, been in such a condition where someone said to me
"have a guess what time it is?" to which I could not only not answer
intelligibly, but also be utterly astounded to hear it was only 8pm when
it felt like 2am.

Stick with it. There'll be 2 or 3 days of falling over, frustration and
pain. At the end of it, it clicks and nirvana awaits.

So, the Friday lesson was a bit, well, so-so at best. The group was
reasonably small, me, missus and I think, four others. Instructor was
however, a bit pants. I would have thought that a few minutes on
terminology and perhaps some explanation of how the board 'works' might
be first up, but apparently not. You can imagine when he said 'you need
to lean forward', some of the group did exactly that (as opposed to
leaning towards the nose of the board) and then promptly face planted.

By the end of the day, we'd barely covered 'how to get yourself up', let
alone getting anything close to competent at falling leaf, or turns. We
had managed to get comfortable with balance and a bit of pre-fall movement.

Day two (Saturday), we didn't have lessons booked, so figured that we'd
go and wing it. The missus was done by noon, too much pain from falling.
I however persevered, figured out by myself how to get up and that
running toeside was much easier than trying to run goofy. Then by about
3pm had got to the point of linking 3 or 4 turns before stopping sharp
or falling. Again. Then I took a tumble that really wrenched my ankle,
so I figured I'd call it quits for the weekend.

Sunday was a no-board day, as we had to get ourselves back home again
(6hour drive). I really wish we could have recovered Sunday and had more
play on Monday, but alas, that will have to wait.

Overall I'm pleased - we had fun, didn't die, don't think we've broken
anything (although she has a hurty wrist). I'm positive that I'll be
giving it another go, and I'll give it 60:40 that she will.

Thanks all for your responses - between you, you covered pretty much
everything we needed.

--
Dnc
Old March 2nd 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

doetnietcomputeren wrote:
Switters wrote:
[...]

Toeside and heelside are opposites. Toe turns, and heel turns are opposites.
Regular (left foot normally forward) and goofy (right foot normally forward) are
opposites. Riding backwards of your norm is "switch". Most rider find learning
heel turns much easier than toe turns.

or falling. Again. Then I took a tumble that really wrenched my ankle,
so I figured I'd call it quits for the weekend.

Sunday was a no-board day, as we had to get ourselves back home again
(6hour drive). I really wish we could have recovered Sunday and had
more play on Monday, but alas, that will have to wait.

Overall I'm pleased - we had fun, didn't die, don't think we've broken
anything (although she has a hurty wrist). I'm positive that I'll be
giving it another go, and I'll give it 60:40 that she will.

Thanks all for your responses - between you, you covered pretty much
everything we needed.

You need to find batter lessons somewhere. It might be worth signing up for a
private.

Too late for your first trip, but:

One of the first things to learn is to twist the front of the board to initiate
turns, by pushing down or lifting on your front foot toes while resisting with
the back foot. This releases the front edge, allowing it to begin sliding
downhill, while the back edge resists, thus initiating the turn of the board.
Then, and the board turns enough to lose all sideward motion, the toes of the
back foot follow suit. If you learn to initiate turns this way, and to make sure
your uphill edge is somewhat engaged between turns, most of the hard falls will
be over.

You want to learn to turnby steering the front of the board, rather than pushing
the back end around, which is what most riders that didn't take lessons do.

Additionally, when you are going straight down the flat areas, be sure to apply
a slight pressure to one edge or the other at all times to avoid slams in those
areas. If you let the board go completely flat, it will start to skid sideways,
then catch an edge.

Old March 9th 09, 11:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:57:30 GMT, "Bob F"
allegedly wrote:

You want to learn to turnby steering the front of the board, rather
than pushing the back end around, which is what most riders that
didn't take lessons do.

Even some that have taken lessons still push the back foot around.

Additionally, when you are going straight down the flat areas, be sure
to apply a slight pressure to one edge or the other at all times to
avoid slams in those areas. If you let the board go completely flat,
it will start to skid sideways, then catch an edge.

Until you get good, then running flat is a nice way to outrun the pack.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/

Ski/Board snow-cover Date/time photo-image captions 101306 Aj 427 North American Ski Resorts 0 October 13th 06 05:41 PM
new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
New Board Time, opinions sought…. Christopher Cox Snowboarding 25 August 22nd 04 10:01 PM
Any luck using kick wax at freezing with damp freas snow? Douglas Diehl Nordic Skiing 12 March 23rd 04 02:42 PM
Time to Replace my Board Muggsly Snowboarding 0 January 17th 04 12:13 AM