Just back from Stubai / Schlick

Old January 4th 09, 11:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mister Niceguy

Default Just back from Stubai / Schlick

A week ago the snow was excellent although the glacier was cold. As the
week went on, the weather improved (from -17C to -7C !!!) but the runs
became scrapier. The resort could do with another dump of at least 30cm
and the 10km to the bottom was already being topped up with cannon snow.
Rather busy for my liking, with long queues at the gondolas and hard to
find seats in the cafes, with few wanting to eat outside.

The long runs from the top of the glacier were probably some of the best
I've ever seen.

We also spent 2 days at Schlick 2000, a much smaller resort with 30km of
pistes. Snow quality was surprisingly good and the run to the base station
was in good condition. Better still, it was not so crowded.

This was a DIY trip. We booked flights through Inghams, MAN-INN reduced to
£184pp which I thought was good. We stayed at the Hotel Klima in Neder-
Neustift which was comfortable but be warned that hotels like this don't
take cards which can make payment hard. Cash is limited to EUR 400 per day
per account from Austrian banks, so either pay in full before you leave by
bank transfer or take '000s of Euros cash with you. I also found that my
Switch/Maestro card wasn't functional in many places, including the local
Sparkasse bank machine, the glacier outlets and branches of Intersport. It
worked in Bank Raifessen and the ski school for reasons unknown. My
Mastercard worked without difficulty.

The ski hire shop people in Neder were very helpful and co-operative
especially when another family took my son's boots by accident and we
needed a replacement for the day.