Snowboarding gloves

Old June 23rd 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Chris[_2_]

Default Snowboarding gloves

Hi I know there is a snowboarding gloves thread already but its 7
years old.
I'm wondering what the best snowboarding gloves are too get.
I particularly am looking for gloves that will last the longest amount
of time. I also want
them to be as water proof (gore-tex XCR) and warm as possible. I would
also like to get ones with wrist support built in. Also removable
inserts are very important, I don't mind paying alot for them.

I am currently looking at burton support or level half-pipe (I would
get the super pipe, but I don't like the look of them), but I'm
hearing things that these gloves aren't warm. I'm having trouble
finding non bias info around. Does anyone here have any advice?

thanks
Chris
Old June 23rd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen[_2_]

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:01:14 -0700, Chris wrote:

Does anyone here have any advice?

My guess is that you should not spend too much on gloves. They will wear
and torn because of for example carrying your board.

Removable inserts makes washing them much easier. For the same reason, I
would not recommend gore-tex. They will smell badly after only a few
days.

The built-in wrist support of gloves I've seen, was not effective. You
better buy a wrist support and large enough gloves.

How warm do you need your gloves to be? If your clothes are not warm
enough, you will notice that your hands and feet become cold. Then the
solution is not to have warmer gloves and socks, but warmer clothes and
something on your head. Of simply board harder :-)

So make sure you only judge on how warm the gloves are when the rest is
already OK.

--
Bas.
Old June 26th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Chris[_2_]

thanks for the reply, it's quite informative

I had a look at the burton support glove, I kind of agree it's not
really effective.
It was just a flimsy plastic insert behind the wrist that bent anyway
when I moved my wrist.

I'm a bit hesitant to get wrist guards as I don't like to have huge
plastic things attached to my hands.
Do you have any suggestions for good wrist guards? are there ones that
have a low profile
and can have gloves worn on top? so far I've been boarding without
them, but people are always suggesting them to be safe. I'm not a high
level boarder at all, so I'm thinking it's better I do get something
for the wrists.

I'm kind of paranoid since all my past experiences boarding have
always ended up with my fingers drenched
and ice cold. I decided to give up and just get a more expensive pair.
My gloves kept getting holes in them too,
again, I assumed because I was always getting cheap pairs.

It's an interesting point about gore-tex
inserts smelling, I initially wanted them because I really don't want
to get wet but I think I've changed my mind now.

I'm boarding in Australia, so it generally isn't that cold, it's
getting wet fingers (and consequently freezing fingers) that I'm most
worried about.

Old June 26th 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"Chris" wrote in message

It's an interesting point about gore-tex
inserts smelling, I initially wanted them because I really don't want
to get wet but I think I've changed my mind now.

I've naver had a problem with gore-tex gloves smelling.

Old June 26th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
helibrdr

"Bob F" wrote in message
news

"Chris" wrote in message

It's an interesting point about gore-tex
inserts smelling, I initially wanted them because I really don't want
to get wet but I think I've changed my mind now.

I've naver had a problem with gore-tex gloves smelling.

I have the Burton AK Hover Mitts with three layers - the outer
Goretex/leather, fleece liner with soccer goalie type sticky palms, and
another fleece liner. When really cold I use all three layers and is it
warms up I take out one of the inner layers. Even when really cold I end up
taking off one of the inner liners as they are VERY warm. Good choice if you
don't run through gloves and can use them multiple years as they are pricey.
My son always tries to steal them for very long/slow lift rides. I still
like Goretex but would recommend a multilayer glove/mitt. I think the mitts
keep my hands warmer.

Old June 27th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christian Georg Becker

Chris schrieb:
Hi I know there is a snowboarding gloves thread already but its 7
years old.
I'm wondering what the best snowboarding gloves are too get.
I particularly am looking for gloves that will last the longest amount
of time. I also want
them to be as water proof (gore-tex XCR) and warm as possible. I would
also like to get ones with wrist support built in. Also removable
inserts are very important, I don't mind paying alot for them.

I like my Ziener. Don't know the exact name, have to look for it when I
see them in the cellar ... summer time

Very warm, Material holds good against wet snow/rain (Austria in March
.... hrrrm), dries quick.
Seams and edges on the fingers start to fray put a little bit without
real damage after ~7 full weeks of snowboarding.
Has upper and lower protector and a wrap-around-velcro-strap to fix them
into place and thus protect the wrist ... but the velcro on the right
hand side does not really stick after 20 times unfastening/refastening
in the snow after taking pictures (I'm the shutterbug of our crew).

They were around 50 euros at the time I bought them.

Krischan
Old July 1st 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Chris[_2_]

I'm not really in to mitts as I don't like removing and putting on
gloves all the time.

Being in Australia, There's not alot to choose from.
I can't buy online because I prefer to wear the gloves before I buy
them.
I am now leaning on getting Burton gore gloves with the goretex
inserts.
Hopefully they will last.

I'm also wondering if any generic brand rather than burton will be
just as good
as long as they have goretex

Old July 1st 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christian Georg Becker

Chris schrieb:
I'm not really in to mitts as I don't like removing and putting on
gloves all the time.

Being in Australia, There's not alot to choose from.

.... and there is winter now

No bigger city with an skiing outlet nearby (whatever "nearby" means in
Australia ... see Simpsons for references ).

I can't buy online because I prefer to wear the gloves before I buy
them.
I am now leaning on getting Burton gore gloves with the goretex
inserts.
Hopefully they will last.

Yeah, I'd recommend buying them after testing them. Except if you are
into buying/selling several times until the glove fits.

I'm also wondering if any generic brand rather than burton will be
just as good
as long as they have goretex

Hm. I don't think so. GoreTex is just one name on the list of materials
which let vapour pass. More important is how the materials were
processed into the glove. GoreTex won't help if the glove falls apart.

Krischan
Old July 2nd 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Chris[_2_]

On Jul 1, 9:53 pm, Christian Georg Becker -
berlin.de wrote:
Chris schrieb:

[...]

Yeah each brand have different names for their materials. there's all
these names like storm-lite, thinsulate, outlast, durafuse, neoprene
etc. It's hard to compare one with the other. GoreTex is the only
material I know of that has been objectively accepted as being good,
so I always look for it. But one wonders if something better exists,
or something the same but for cheaper
Old July 10th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Spark

Chris;
I've owned the Level Biomex Gloves (they come in 3 or 4 different
styles) for 3 years now and can't recommend them highly enough.
Extremely comfortable and THEY WORK! The Burtons don't even come close
from a design standpoint. Level's Biomex design is truely unique and
effective. Unlike wearing wrist guards, you don't even know the
protection is there until you fall. As for protection from cold. I
have never had a problem with my hands getting cold. They have a
GoreTex shell with a fleece glove. I snowboard mainly in Mammoth
Mountain in Central California. Temps range from 10 - 50 Farenheit, so
I haven't had them in sub zero conditions, but I believe they would
hold up well. Think of it this way, it isn't going to matter how good
your gloves are if your wrist is broken or injured. These gloves are
by far the best protection against the number one injury in
snowboarding.
Just My Humble Opinion,
Mark

gloves Paul Kelly European Ski Resorts 1 February 6th 08 01:26 PM
Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves [email protected] Nordic Skiing 8 May 1st 07 02:03 PM
FA: Columbia men's ski pants, Nike ACG gloves, Kombi Weatherguard gloves [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 23rd 05 05:34 AM
Leki gloves Joe Hunt European Ski Resorts 1 January 9th 05 09:12 PM
Level Gloves pyrman Snowboarding 0 August 9th 03 03:24 PM