Elan Vector 157

Old May 29th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Default Elan Vector 157

"Your Mom Says" wrote in message
My advice...just buy bad gear...used even if you can, until you get good. It
doesnt make sence to me to spend lots of money of great gear, when you suck.
You can learn just as well on a setup that costs 200$ as one that costs 700$.
And then when you get good, and you have ruined your board by running over
stones or crashing into things, then you can buy that expensive gear and know
enough not to ruin it. But thats just me...

Bad equipment will definately slow learning. But then again, a beginner doesn't
want a stiff, edgy racing board. Boots with enough stiffness to allow good edge
control are helpfull. But then again, it all depends on the type of riding you
want to do.

Good lessons will help more than just about anything in the learning process.
Doing things the right way makes everything easier, with less crashes.

Old May 29th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Your Mom Says[_2_]

If you arent crashing, you arent doing cool enough stuff... (that prob
applies to anything in life)

Old May 29th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

If the OP is that uncertain about gear, why not just rent until he gets
a better idea of what's what? Until you get some slope time, you're not
even going to know what a proper-fitting boot feels like.

Neil
Old May 29th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

My advice...just buy bad gear...used even if you can, until you get good.
It doesnt make sence to me to spend lots of money of great gear, when you
suck. You can learn just as well on a setup that costs 200$ as one that
costs 700$. And then when you get good, and you have ruined your board by
running over stones or crashing into things, then you can buy that expensive
gear and know enough not to ruin it. But thats just me...

Bad equipment will definately slow learning. But then again, a beginner
doesn't want a stiff, edgy racing board. Boots with enough stiffness to allow
good edge control are helpfull. But then again, it all depends on the type of
riding you want to do.

Good lessons will help more than just about anything in the learning process.
Doing things the right way makes everything easier, with less crashes.

There are crashes caused by pushing your limits, and crashes due to not knowing
how to initiate your turns properly. One can clearly be minimized without
slowing the learning process.

Old May 30th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Well... I know skiing and I'm not sure does it helps me in riding a
board... :$ (?)

I don't how about you guys, but I've just read, from local shop's
website, that renting (boots+bindings+board) costs a little more than
$20... I find it pretty expensive if you take in consideration that I
can get a board, boots OR bindings for just 3 of those rides. I mean,
it's not that I'm Rockefeller...
The above idea of renting got into my head as well, but I wasn't
really sure how much will it REALLY pay me out, due to pricing, and,
actually, that's the main reason why I came here for - to ask you,
pro's, for a bit of advice and help...
When I'm already buying something, let it be the RIGHT stuff...

And as for crashes... I fell from bicycle a day before yesterday and
almost lost my jaw. Lucky for me, I got thru just with few future
scars and lot of scratches...
Old May 30th 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote in message
[...]

One of the differences in riding is that you can control the edges changes
differently from the front to the back of the board. You can actually twist the
board, so that the front of the board releases the edge, while the back of the
board edge is still engaged. Learning to do this early in your learning process
will help make your turns much more reliable, with much less chance of catching
an edge and crashing.

If you get a really good deal on used equipment, it's not a bad way to start.
Actually, I've never bought a new board, and I've had a lot of good riding. I
did get a new pair of boots, but they were $20 at a thrift shop. A lucky find.

Old May 30th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Your Mom Says[_2_]

I think renting at least once is a good idea for the following
reason...I have found some near free boards and other gear from people
who bought the stuff without knowing what they were getting into, hated
it (or better sucked at it and didnt want to persevere), and sold off
their new stuff for cheap. So, 1. you wanna make sure you enjoy it
before investing $300+ and 2. maybe you can benefit from some other
knucklehead who wasted his money in this way.

Old May 30th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Well, the board from the title, Elan Vector 157 (http://
http://www.surfmania.net/images/stor...ector157-3.jpg)
IS a used one...

ELAN SCX - Anybody still using them?? Rick Alpine Skiing 1 December 8th 05 02:30 PM
Elan SCX The Real Bev Alpine Skiing 7 October 16th 04 03:30 AM
ELAN Bruno Scap Snowboarding 1 February 13th 04 01:47 AM
Elan M8 or M10 darren Alpine Skiing 0 February 6th 04 03:21 AM
Elan Fusion S12 vs Elan S-Series S12 [email protected] Alpine Skiing 0 September 22nd 03 04:10 PM