more "universal" powder board

Old April 30th 04, 07:28 PM
Arvin Chang

Default more "universal" powder board

"og" wrote in message ...
Hey Phil,

I typically ski and ride 50 or so days a year and ride deep powder easily on
a 160 cm board. I see very few riders of any merit riding boards over 168
at any weight and super long boards languish in the shops because no-one
wants them.

To Andrew (BigFoot):
I don't agree with Og's categorical dismissal of longer boards.
However, I also don't believe that you should get an extra long
freeride board just for the few powder days you might encounter
(definitely not a 168, the 168 cm Osin 4807 board mentioned was a
powder specific board).

I say go for the Khyber or a Donek Wide 162. They carve extremely well
on groomers (as good as a regular waisted freerider board that is),
but are nice and wide and will give you good flotation. I think Mike T
is like 190 lbs and rides a Wide 161 which he says gives him good
powder performance without many tradeoffs... and this is from a guy
whose favorite board is 184cm long (well before it was damaged by
Randy).

Only get a board like the OSin 4807, Prior Powstick, or RadAir Tanker
200cm if you are going to be spending weeks (like over 7 days) in big
open powder bowls. You can buy a 178 cm 4807 on Ebay for $109-140
which I think will be an excellent board for powder bowls.
Old April 30th 04, 07:48 PM
og

What's that tell you when BRAND NEW 178 snowboards can't even sell for $100.
There's some old hippie at Kirkwood with a swallow tail. He can barely get
the thing pointed downhill.

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message
om...

Old April 30th 04, 07:56 PM
BigFoot

[...]

Thank you guys for your advise. I hate wide boards, I tried Never Summer Legacy
once and that was by far the worst board I've ever ridden.
So it brings me back to Khyber. I agree with og, looong board would probably
an overkill. But Im heavier than you, so I need more floatation.
Khyber 165 might be real fun. And my board of choice will still be my
Shogun 166,
the best stick I've ever had under my feet.

Old April 30th 04, 07:59 PM
Neil Gendzwill

og wrote:

What's that tell you when BRAND NEW 178 snowboards can't even sell for $100.

For one thing, swallow tails are a lot more specialized than other more
versatile long boards. For another, most snowboarders are brainwashed
by the hype and on the wrong equipment for their riding, regardless of
length. Anything outside of their 152-162 cm popsicle stick board is
outside their experience.

Neil

Old April 30th 04, 08:21 PM
Arvin Chang

"og" wrote in message ...
Hey Phil,

I typically ski and ride 50 or so days a year and ride deep powder easily on
a 160 cm board. I see very few riders of any merit riding boards over 168
at any weight and super long boards languish in the shops because no-one
wants them.

In a weird coincidence, BomberOnline has a thread today on shortest
and longest boards. A few people listed have 210cm boards and one guy
(CMC) has a 228 cm board!!! Realize that these are alpine snowboards,
which typically run at least 5-10 cm longer than a freeride board, and
these super longboards are VERY specialized (only a handful of people
in the world ride these lengths) and can only be ridden in very
unique, open, wide terrain at *extremely* high speeds.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti... threadid=2325

Just thought you might find it interesting.
Old April 30th 04, 08:39 PM
Mike T

Default Long alpine boards (was: more "universal" powder board)

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti... threadid=2325

Just thought you might find it interesting.

I took a few runs on one of those 210s in March... I don't imagine I'll
ever own anything that long, but it sure was fun to ride! You wind up
going pretty fast without trying. I had the most fun on a big, wide, empty,
low-intermediate groomer, I didn't dare push it on anything narrow of steep
lest I get going too fast.

I do see myself owning something about 190 or 195 someday, with a similar
sidecut radius (17 m) to that 210 though. When I tried it out I was
actually more interested in knowing what a 17m sidecut felt like (that's
over twice what most people use - high 7's to low 8's) than a 210 board....
I now know that I can carve that sidecut on the right kind of trails, but
210 cm on a 17m sidecut makes for a board that really locks into a carve...
I would only recommend a board like that for the most skilled, most
aggressive riders out there... riders who are better than I am. If I ever
go with something with a monster sidecut like that (essentially a SuperG
board), it will almost surely be a custom job, probably 190 - 195 like I
mentioned above, and it would be slightly tapered to make for easier exit
from turns... which could be the thing to keep me out of the hospital

(For comparison, my 184 had a 13.2 m sidecut... and a slight taper of 4 mm
from tip to tail... that was enough to keep if from every feeling locked in
when I needed to get out of the carve and skid to slow or stop. But when I
wanted to groove on it, it really stayed in the groove well. I am glad I'm
getting a replacement over the summer / fall!)

Mike T

Old May 1st 04, 10:06 AM
Arvin Chang

BigFoot wrote in message ...
Thank you guys for your advise. I hate wide boards, I tried Never Summer Legacy
once and that was by far the worst board I've ever ridden.
So it brings me back to Khyber. I agree with og, looong board would probably
an overkill. But Im heavier than you, so I need more floatation.
Khyber 165 might be real fun. And my board of choice will still be my
Shogun 166,
the best stick I've ever had under my feet.

Do you realize that the Khyber is roughly as wide as the Donek Wide
(that is to say the Khyber is wider than you think and the Wider is
narrow than your think). The Wide is sort of a misnomer as the Donek
Incline is really narrow, the Wide is a little wide, and the Sasquatch
is really wide. I'm told (although I don't know) that the Donek Wide
is much better than most wide boards because of it's torsional
stiffness... but don't believe... go demo one for free from Donek
(they send one to you to try out for free!). I wish Prior had a
similar demo program.

Good luck on your purchasing decision.
Old May 2nd 04, 05:29 AM
Jason Watkins

Only get a board like the OSin 4807, Prior Powstick, or RadAir Tanker
200cm if you are going to be spending weeks (like over 7 days) in big
open powder bowls. You can buy a 178 cm 4807 on Ebay for $109-140
which I think will be an excellent board for powder bowls.

Well, for a dissenting opinion. I'm pretty sure I'll buy a powder
specific board for next season... the 168 O'Sin fishtail is likely
what I'll pick up. I expect there will be maybe 4 or 5 good storms
that will justify riding it. That's not nearly weeks in open bowls...
but, I look at it this way. Think of the best powder run you had this
whole season. Now imagine you could make that run, that whole day,
even better. Seems like it's worth $100 and change for a board off
ebay or closeout from a shop.

And og obviously just doesn't know how to accept anything that doesn't
fit current fashion. I've seen plenty of people here on Hood that ride
swallows and ride them well. Heck, there's a whole crew of hilarious
middle aged perma-drunk locals at timberline that ride all nitro
swallow tails, and ride them quite well. I've seem them pop a lot of
stylish grabs off hits on those boards, so I'm pretty sure they know
their way around a park too. I've also ridden with someone on a 200cm
rad air tanker that can do single mogul turns with it. Technique seems
to dwarf all other factors, fashion included.

Ohh... and I've riden my Wide 161 in powder enough now to state that
it is most satisfactory. Of course, I'm barely 150lbs so it doesn't
take much to float me .
Old May 4th 04, 02:15 AM
Arvin Chang

(Jason Watkins) wrote in message . com...
Only get a board like the OSin 4807, Prior Powstick, or RadAir Tanker
200cm if you are going to be spending weeks (like over 7 days) in big
open powder bowls. You can buy a 178 cm 4807 on Ebay for $109-140
which I think will be an excellent board for powder bowls.

Well, for a dissenting opinion. I'm pretty sure I'll buy a powder
specific board for next season... the 168 O'Sin fishtail is likely
what I'll pick up. I expect there will be maybe 4 or 5 good storms
that will justify riding it. That's not nearly weeks in open bowls...
but, I look at it this way. Think of the best powder run you had this
whole season. Now imagine you could make that run, that whole day,
even better. Seems like it's worth $100 and change for a board off
ebay or closeout from a shop.

I wanted to be error on the conservative side as I don't like
encouraging people to buy gear that they won't use (people tend to be
overly optimistic at the changes they'll get to use things). However,
now that you mention it... $120 is cheap, like if I could, I would
rent a powder board during a storm for $20... so like I could
definitely get 6 days of use out of it in a year. Personally I was
imagining a board for the tree runs like the Burton Fish or Prior
Khyber would be nice... but now that you mention it the entire
Kirkwood backbowl is full of powder, it's just that a lot of times
it's too thin or heavily tracked to make it fun to ride except on the
first run or tw. However, a swallowtail would give me superior
floatation... for a while I had just imagined being able to float is
super deep powder (and not getting stuck), but I think it would make
less than super fun powder fun I guess (like the area under the wave).

Hmm.... darn you guys! (I blamed you Mike specifically =]). I already
have like three boards this year (compared to one last year) - a
freestyle board, my freeride board, and my alpine board. At roughly
25-30 days per season that's only like 8-10 days for each board.
That's cutting it's close in my mind (feels a little wasteful). I just
ordered a Madd snowboard as my new alpine board, and I didn't want to
buy TWO boards over the summer... although the Madd is replacing the
sub-100 dollar learner's board I bought and the 4087 *is* only like
$130 total... hmm... Maybe I'll sell my freestyle board as well, since
the Donek is pretty good on jumps and in the pipe as well, just a
little stiff for rails and flatland tricks. I just don't like the idea
of owning four snowboards - it just feels extravagant to me during
these times.

==seduced by the dark side==
Old May 4th 04, 03:12 AM
Mike T

Hmm.... darn you guys! (I blamed you Mike specifically =]). I already
have like three boards this year (compared to one last year) - a
freestyle board, my freeride board, and my alpine board.

Hey, give yourself a pat on the back for sticking with three.

I had five at one point this season, then I sold one (too many short sticks)
and killed one (actually, a friend killed it and he's replacing it) so now
I'm down to three. Have no fear, I have two new boards plus the
replacement Coiler coming over the summer and fall so I'll be fully loaded
with 6 for next winter.

Mike T