eBay

Old April 17th 05, 09:26 PM
ScottishCanadian

Default eBay

I recently have bought a few things off of eBay. I bought an mp3
player and a pair of dragon opticals. The mp3 player came and its
awesome and the goggles haven't arrived yet, but I was wondering if any
of you, or one of your friends, have bought a board off eBay. I want
to know if its safe enough to trust these sellers with sending me a
new board that can potentially be hundreds of dollars. Wondering if
anyone has had some expierence with eBay and snowboards.

ScottishCanadian

Old April 17th 05, 11:38 PM
Mike T

Wondering if
anyone has had some expierence with eBay and snowboards.

Your experiences on eBay will vary widely depending on who you are buying
from. I've bought and sold several snowboards and related gear via eBay
and in each case the transaction has been a smooth one. I've heard some
horror stories as well. I'm only a "once in a while" ebayer, so my sample
size is too small to draw any conclusions from though.

My eBay buying recommendations would be:

1) Check the seller's feedback, read comments, don't just look at the
numbers. Look specifically at feedback given by previous buyers.

2) If there are no pictures of the actual item, ask for some.

3) I like to ask the seller at least one question, just to see how they
respond. I don't expect people to respond immediately, but I do expect
some kind of response.

Hope that helps,

-Mike T a.k.a "snowboarddaddy" on eBay

Old April 18th 05, 05:42 AM
nremt23 nremt23 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Pennsylvania

I'll second Mike T's recommendations. I would add that I would consider only NEW condition equipment myself. I'm not a boarder, but I bought my last set of skis off eBay at a substantial discount. I bought new skis that were the style from the previous year for $99, and they arrived still in the factory wrapper. The local ski shop later had them ON SALE for $449.

I'd also suggest waiting a little while. It's still ski & snowboard season in some areas. I bought my skis in July when there were still a good selection on eBay, but very few skiers competing and hiking up the bids.

-Chris G.
Old April 18th 05, 02:52 PM
Scott Phelps

"ScottishCanadian" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently have bought a few things off of eBay. I bought an mp3
player and a pair of dragon opticals. The mp3 player came and its
awesome and the goggles haven't arrived yet, but I was wondering if any
of you, or one of your friends, have bought a board off eBay. I want
to know if its safe enough to trust these sellers with sending me a
new board that can potentially be hundreds of dollars. Wondering if
anyone has had some expierence with eBay and snowboards.

ScottishCanadian

I bought a Salamon Definition board that had been used but suposidly well
taken care of. It was in good shape except that it had one ding the size of
a dime on the top sheet that none of the pictures showed. I would suggest
looking for stuff in your local area if you live in populated area. Then you
can avoid shipping charges by picking it up, and lower your chances of
getting ripped off by a lot!

Or buy new.

Old April 18th 05, 03:37 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Mike T wrote:

1) Check the seller's feedback, read comments, don't just look at the
numbers. Look specifically at feedback given by previous buyers.

Read all of the negative and neutrals, and check the positives too,
especially recent buyers. If you're really paranoid, check the feedback
profiles of the buyers - if there are a lot of 0 feedback buyers the
seller may be artificially inflating his rep.

Carefully check the shipping conditions and costs - lots of sellers make
up for a low price with outrageous fees.

If a deal looks too good to be true, it most likely is.

Search completed auctions to get an idea of the sort of price your item
should be going for.

Once you've decided on an item, wait until the last possible moment to
bid. Early bidding just drives up the price. This technique is called
sniping - beware, there are people who use automated sniping programs
and you can get outbid in the last few seconds of an auction.

Don't get too attached to an item - set a max price in your head and
stick to it. People overpay when they get carried away. There's almost
always another item that will fit your needs coming down the pipe.

Neil

Old April 18th 05, 04:36 PM
Bruce Chang

"ScottishCanadian" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently have bought a few things off of eBay. I bought an mp3
player and a pair of dragon opticals. The mp3 player came and its
awesome and the goggles haven't arrived yet, but I was wondering if any
of you, or one of your friends, have bought a board off eBay. I want
to know if its safe enough to trust these sellers with sending me a
new board that can potentially be hundreds of dollars. Wondering if
anyone has had some expierence with eBay and snowboards.

ScottishCanadian

I bought a snowboard off ebay 3 seasons ago and had no problems with the
transaction. Like others have said, check their feedback in any ebay
transaction BEFORE you bid. Look at neutrals and negatives specifically.
If the seller says there's damage but doesn't show a picture up close, ask
for one. A ding could mean a blown out edge to another. Some sellers have
no conscience.

-Bruce

Old April 18th 05, 08:08 PM
ScottishCanadian

thanks guys, i just got my dragons today and they look AWESOME.

Once you've decided on an item, wait until the last possible moment to

bid. Early bidding just drives up the price. This technique is

called
sniping - beware, there are people who use automated sniping programs

and you can get outbid in the last few seconds of an auction.

yea, i did a bit of "sniping", its fun!

thanks again,
ScottishCanadian

Old April 19th 05, 01:31 AM
lonerider

ScottishCanadian wrote:
I recently have bought a few things off of eBay. I bought an mp3
player and a pair of dragon opticals. The mp3 player came and its
awesome and the goggles haven't arrived yet, but I was wondering if

any
of you, or one of your friends, have bought a board off eBay. I want
to know if its safe enough to trust these sellers with sending me a
new board that can potentially be hundreds of dollars. Wondering if
anyone has had some expierence with eBay and snowboards.

ScottishCanadian

I bought a Burton Fish with P1MD bindings off of Ebay. I would only
recommend buying from personal vendors (as oppose to power sellers that
have huge feeback ratings) it if you have a lot of experience with
snowboards in general and know what to ask about and why to look for in
the photos that they send you. You should ask how many days it's been
used and look at the topsheet/base/edge photos to look for noticeable
damage that they didn't mention (edge dings, scrapes in the base,
topsheet chipping). After that just chat with the person a little to
get a feel for him/her, if the person is friendly and talkative about
where they snowboard and what not, they are the mostly likely to stick
to it if something goes wrong. However, even nice people can be late on
shipping items and what not so you have to be aware. Personally, Ebay
is the last place I would look to buy a board in general.

Old April 19th 05, 03:45 AM
Dmitry

"ScottishCanadian" wrote

I recently have bought a few things off of eBay. I bought an mp3
player and a pair of dragon opticals. The mp3 player came and its
awesome and the goggles haven't arrived yet, but I was wondering if any
of you, or one of your friends, have bought a board off eBay. I want
to know if its safe enough to trust these sellers with sending me a
new board that can potentially be hundreds of dollars. Wondering if
anyone has had some expierence with eBay and snowboards.

Selling stuff on eBay makes you want to think twice about buying
anything there.

Guess how much my Palmer Channel Titanium went for? "Used once"
condition, some dude paid $410 for it not including shipping! Yes it's a
pretty darn rare board, but the rest of the stuff I was selling also made me
pleasantly surprised. Basically the end result is I got to try a bunch of
high-end boards for free or almost free, esp. considering how much I made
on the Channel Titanium.

eBay or not, you just have to be able to recognise a good deal when
the opportunity comes up.