Buying first set of Hardboots

Old April 10th 05, 09:26 PM
chiliblue

Default Buying first set of Hardboots

I am struggling to work out how to buy the right set of hard boots.

I am currently UK based and there doesn't seem to be a store I can simply go
in and try a bunch for fit.

I am considering buying them online or over eBay, this being my first pair I
imagine I will end up replacing them after a couple of seasons in anycase
when I have more of an idea about what I am looking for fit and performance
wise. What would be a good boot to start with? I am a confident rider with 8
seasons under my belt, I would plan to mount plates for the boots on my 2003
Incline 160 to begin with.

As for sizing, I have tried my local dry slope and Mondo 26.5 but imagine
that the boots there are really packed out. Would a trip to a normal ski
store to try on ski boots be worth while to work out what is the correct
size for me?

Thanks in advance.

Old April 11th 05, 12:28 AM
Mike T

I am currently UK based and there doesn't seem to be a store I can simply
go
in and try a bunch for fit.

There are not that many choices available in hard snowboard boots these
days.

I would recommend going to straight to one of the hardboot-dedicated
websites on the Internet and asking the same question there. My favorite
one is www.bomberonline.com. It's an American site but carvers from many
parts of the world including the UK post there. If nothing else, check the
Links page for a European site that suits you.

Mike T

Old April 11th 05, 09:53 AM
chiliblue

Thanks for your reply, I have browsed around bomber online for a while now
but I think their budget boot is possibly out in my size.. This being my
first pair I don't want to lay too much out, after all I do have great soft
boots...its difficult to justify $$$ to my wife.

Old April 11th 05, 02:33 PM
Jon

"chiliblue" wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I have browsed around bomber online for a while now
but I think their budget boot is possibly out in my size.. This being my
first pair I don't want to lay too much out, after all I do have great soft
boots...its difficult to justify $$$ to my wife.

In that case, I'd head to a ski shop and have them figure out my boot
size. Then watch the Bomber Online classifieds for some used boots in
that size in your price range -- maybe you'll get lucky and see some
in the UK or EU. Don't forget the cost of having the boots fitted, or
at least having the liners re-baked for your feet.

The alternate plan is to find some hardbooters in your area, and
rummage in their closets for spare boots (thanks, MikeT!).

-jon-

Old April 11th 05, 03:46 PM
Mike T

In that case, I'd head to a ski shop and have them figure out my boot
size. Then watch the Bomber Online classifieds for some used boots in
that size in your price range -- maybe you'll get lucky and see some
in the UK or EU. Don't forget the cost of having the boots fitted, or
at least having the liners re-baked for your feet.

Yeah, I was more suggesting Bomber as a place to ask questions, and possibly
buy via classifieds, since it will be your first pair. Different brands fit
differently so it's hard to say whether, for example, trying on a Nordica
ski boot would tell you the right size for a Raichle snowboard boot.

As far as models go:

I would recommend the DeeLuxe LeMans, or it's old equivalenets under the
Raichle nameplate, the SB 423, 324, or 224, to start out with. They are
forgiving enough to to freeride in but still a hard boot and fully capable
for carving. Unless you are over 220 pounds in which case get something
stiffer, or you have very wide feet in which case get something wider.

Mike T

Old April 16th 05, 11:34 PM
chiliblue

Well I am a mondo 27 prett certain of that, my ebaying over last few days
has gotten me the plates but I am still chasing boots...which Bomber had
stock of their $150 boot in my size. (

Old April 17th 05, 12:41 AM
Mike T

Well I am a mondo 27 prett certain of that, my ebaying over last few days
has gotten me the plates but I am still chasing boots...which Bomber had
stock of their $150 boot in my size. (

Since you know your size, put a "wanted" ad in the classifieds section on
Bomber. Something is bound to turn up for a good price.

Old April 17th 05, 01:34 AM
G.Kirkwood

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:34:11 +0100, "chiliblue"
wrote:

Well I am a mondo 27 prett certain of that, my ebaying over last few days
has gotten me the plates but I am still chasing boots...which Bomber had
stock of their $150 boot in my size. (

If you are even a little under 27, go for the 26's. I calculate out at
25.89, and the 26's were too big after the liner thermoflex liner
packed out. The 150.00 boots are the 413's, but figure on spending
another 100.00 or so for liners as the ones they come with kind suck.
I just got a pair of LeMans from Bomber And they come with a
thermoflex liner, around 280.00, I think. I was riding the 413's, the
Lemans are just a little stiffer. If I could start over I'd skip the
413's and just get the Lemans, very comfy (with custom foot beds!)

Old April 17th 05, 01:50 AM
Mike T

If you are even a little under 27, go for the 26's. I calculate out at
25.89, and the 26's were too big after the liner thermoflex liner
packed out. The 150.00 boots are the 413's, but figure on spending
another 100.00 or so for liners as the ones they come with kind suck.
I just got a pair of LeMans from Bomber And they come with a
thermoflex liner, around 280.00, I think. I was riding the 413's, the
Lemans are just a little stiffer. If I could start over I'd skip the
413's and just get the Lemans, very comfy (with custom foot beds!)

I'll agree with, well, all of this.

There are some good threads on Bomber regarding boot sizing. I measure
between 26.5 and 27 on both feet and I find a size *25* Raichle/Deeluxe boot
fits me best, with Thermoflex liners and a custom footbed. IMHO the "shell
test" (http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/shell_test.cfm) is the best
method for sizing hard boots. I get about "1.5 fingers" using the shell
test and my boots are comfortably snug with plenty of room for my toes to
wiggle, and I can ride hard all day without foot fatigue.

Old April 17th 05, 08:11 AM
chiliblue

"Mike T" wrote in message
I measure
between 26.5 and 27 on both feet and I find a size *25* Raichle/Deeluxe
boot

D'oh, now I am uncertain about sizing again )

I am basically bang on 27 or perhaps a couple mm's under at the most.
Perhaps I should go for a 26...

Buying property in Gressoney / Monterosa Scott Whitehead European Ski Resorts 0 March 1st 05 07:29 PM
Buying gear in US Plake Snowboarding 55 October 28th 04 03:06 PM
Buying gear in US Plake European Ski Resorts 62 October 28th 04 03:06 PM
Buying gear in US Plake Alpine Skiing 56 October 28th 04 03:06 PM
Buying Snowboard as gift, What Size?? Buzzzz Snowboarding 6 February 27th 04 02:12 PM