Tahoe Crowds

Old November 25th 03, 08:57 PM
Kevin Harper

Default Tahoe Crowds

What are the least crowded Tahoe resorts on the weekend, We are
heading out over Martin Luther weekend in January. We are going to try
Heavenly on Friday and then try something a little less crowded on
Saturday and Sunday. We are intermediate riders so maybe Kirkwood
would be out of the question. Was thinking Sierra at Tahoe. Any help
would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin
Old November 26th 03, 02:26 PM
geissing

Yes, you are right, Sierra at Tahoe may be the best non-crowded
bet for January. Although ALL winter holiday times can cause
higher than normal resort attendance, for sure. Better to go
during MLK than President's Week though.

You'd probably like Kirkwood more than you would think.
A little rough to get to if it is snowing, and that is putting it
mildly. Definitely a 4WD only place! That is also true of
Tahoe in general if it is snowing.
You will love Heavenly for the Blue Cruisers, many of them,
often impeccably groomed. The mountain(s) of Heavenly are
a bit spread out though, lots of cat tracking but it's not
too bad unless you have a snowboarder in your group.
You'll have to study and re-study the trail map for Heavenly,
but fortunately they have a very good lift system, quite a few
hi-speed quads.
As to crowds at Heavenly, possibly high on MLK and weekends
in general.
Because Sierra at Tahoe and Kirkwood are more out of the way
and difficult to get to, they may be your best bets.
There is only one lift at Kirkwood that you will not want
to take: The Wagon Wheel, but you will not get on this lift
without plenty of warning that there is NO easy way down
once you get to the top. They literally have skull&crossbone
signs which you must brush up against to get on the WagonWheel,
which tell you you are now heading into very Advanced Terrain,
with no escape. All other lifts have Blue runs.
But you are correct, Kirkwood has a lot of Black, some of it
even groomed Black, but still rather steep, naturally.
Nice village atmosphere at Kirkwood, definitely a skiers/snowboarders
place.

Less frequented ski area:
You could also consider skiing Homewood up the southwest section
of Lake Tahoe. It's got a mom & pop feel, but it has some
excellent Blue runs, although no fast lifts. If you are interested
in trying powder skiing, this is good place to play if it has snowed
recently. It is a drive from Heavenly to get there though,
not a fast drive, again 4WD. I'm just guessing,but I would
allow 45 minutes for the drive to Homewood, but you might get
there in much less time? Easy to miss the road into Howewood if
snow has covered many of the signs, but worth a look.

If you've only got three days, a Friday at Heavenly and two days
at Sierra at Tahoe might be your best bet, unless you want
to give Homewood a try on one of those days? Can't go wrong
with any of them actually, unless the weather turns Calif. crazy,
always possible. There is a Pineapple Express occasionaly.....?
Whoa unto you (and everyone else) should your days be P/A Express Days.

Good Luck, -tom

Old November 28th 03, 08:01 AM
Pobirsm

Homewood.
Thats all I have to say about that.

tahoe trip video Mike M. Miskulin Snowboarding 0 May 5th 04 06:04 PM
What's good at Tahoe right now? David Snowboarding 8 April 20th 04 02:12 PM
lucky guys in Tahoe Mike M. Miskulin Snowboarding 7 March 3rd 04 09:55 PM
Tahoe Question Kevin General 2 November 25th 03 04:59 AM
South Lake Tahoe lodging ideas Chris Otto North American Ski Resorts 3 August 11th 03 11:58 AM