PENNSLYVANIA DAILY SKI REPORT

Old February 28th 04, 05:36 AM
WillyJ2714

Default PENNSLYVANIA DAILY SKI REPORT

Good Morning!
After a meaningful eight (count them, 8!) days of skiing this year, I'm hanging
them up. I know it's not a lot - but it was a beautiful thing, I'll tell ya.
Today at Blue Mountain we had a lovely mix of real and contracted snow that
lasted until mid afternoon when the lovely sunshine created some slush and
stuff - I had had enough by 3:00 P.M.
In December I went on line to purchase a used pair of Bandit XX - they worked
well for me here in the fake snow state, and also during my five days at Vail.
Oh, I didn't tell you about Vail - I'm sure you're aware that there are two
sides (or, in the case of Vail - 3) to every story. For Vail - you either love
it or loathe it. My wife and I will continue to go back until we get sick of
it - the bowls - the glades - the, um, everything. We just don't have that
here in the snow gun capital of the world.
Until I feel like complaining again -

Regards,

Will
Old February 28th 04, 07:27 PM
Sue

In message , WillyJ2714
writes

Until I feel like complaining again -

Made me smile - I hope you get some more snow soon.
--
Sue ]8(
Old March 3rd 04, 09:42 PM
Chuck

Sue wrote in
:

In message , WillyJ2714
writes

Until I feel like complaining again -

Made me smile - I hope you get some more snow soon.

Unlikely. Temps have been in the 50's and 60's all week. The snow is
disappearing fast and snow this late in the year is rare for PA.

I'm supposed to go to Blue myself on Saturday but I'm wondering if the
snow will last. Willy skied until 3pm when it turned to slush. I won't
even be getting there until about then. Still, skiing on crappy snow is
better than not skiing at all.

I'll be hanging them up for the season too after this trip. Tis a
shame. At the start it looked like PA was in for another banner year
(like last year), but it turned out pretty mediocre except in the
northernmost ski areas. Next year I'll probably be heading back to NH.
Maybe by then K-mart will be part of that state. ;-)
--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email
Old March 3rd 04, 09:58 PM
Walt

Chuck wrote:
Sue wrote

Made me smile - I hope you get some more snow soon.

Unlikely. Temps have been in the 50's and 60's all week. The snow is
disappearing fast and snow this late in the year is rare for PA.

I'm supposed to go to Blue myself on Saturday but I'm wondering if the
snow will last. Willy skied until 3pm when it turned to slush. I won't
even be getting there until about then.

Real Skiers (TM) get to the hill in time to be standing in the liftline
sipping coffee when the lifts open. Blue Mt. opens at 7:30am doesn't
it? I'll bet there's a good two hours before the crowd shows up.
That's like 25 laps on the HSQ, or more skiing than most people
accomplish all day.

Still, skiing on crappy snow is better than not skiing at all.

True enough, but plan you day accordingly and you don't have to ski on
crappy snow.

I'll be hanging them up for the season too after this trip.

Too bad. Make sure you put on a coat of storage wax so the edges don't
rust. Store you boots in a dry place with the buckles fastened.

I'll be doing this in a month or so, but not until all the hills within
400 miles close for the season.

--
//-Walt
//
Old March 4th 04, 02:51 PM
Chuck

Walt wrote in news:4046631E.15611718
@boatnerd.com.invalid:

Chuck wrote:
Sue wrote

Made me smile - I hope you get some more snow soon.

Unlikely. Temps have been in the 50's and 60's all week. The snow is
disappearing fast and snow this late in the year is rare for PA.

I'm supposed to go to Blue myself on Saturday but I'm wondering if the
snow will last. Willy skied until 3pm when it turned to slush. I won't
even be getting there until about then.

Real Skiers (TM) get to the hill in time to be standing in the liftline
sipping coffee when the lifts open. Blue Mt. opens at 7:30am doesn't
it? I'll bet there's a good two hours before the crowd shows up.
That's like 25 laps on the HSQ, or more skiing than most people
accomplish all day.

We've got another engagement that will keep us occupied until noon. Then
lunch. Then head to the mountain.

Still, skiing on crappy snow is better than not skiing at all.

True enough, but plan you day accordingly and you don't have to ski on
crappy snow.

I'll be hanging them up for the season too after this trip.

Too bad. Make sure you put on a coat of storage wax so the edges don't
rust. Store you boots in a dry place with the buckles fastened.

I've got a coupon from the local ski shop for a free edge sharpening and
hot wax. I'll probably just let them take care of it and it'll be one
less thing to do at the start of next season.

What's the advantage to storing the boots buckled anyway? I usually
storem them unbuckled and only buckle them just before leaving for the
mountain.
Old March 4th 04, 03:25 PM
Walt

Chuck wrote:
Walt wrote
Chuck wrote:

I'll be hanging them up for the season too after this trip.

Too bad. Make sure you put on a coat of storage wax so the edges don't
rust. Store you boots in a dry place with the buckles fastened.

I've got a coupon from the local ski shop for a free edge sharpening and
hot wax. I'll probably just let them take care of it and it'll be one
less thing to do at the start of next season.

Ask for a storage wax, not the regular wax. Actually the wax itself is
the same, the difference is that they don't scrape when they do a
storage wax The idea is that your steel edges will spend the off season
covered with wax which keeps them from rusting. When next season comes
around, just scrape the wax off with an old credit card and you're good
to go.

What's the advantage to storing the boots buckled anyway? I usually
storem them unbuckled and only buckle them just before leaving for the
mountain.

Boot shells are made of plastic, and plastic has a "memory" i.e. it
likes to return to the shape it was in. If you store the boots buckled,
the memory is for the shape that you actually use when you're skiing.
If you store them unbuckled, they'll develop a memory for being
unbuckled and won't fit as well.

It's not a major big deal, but then neither is taking ten seconds to
buckle them. Dry storage is probably more important. You don't want to
be looking at musty mildewey smelly boots next season, do you?

--
//-Walt
//
Old March 4th 04, 04:40 PM
klaus

Walt wrote:
Real Skiers (TM) get to the hill in time to be standing in the liftline
sipping coffee when the lifts open.

No. Real Skiers(tm) get to the top of the lift right when they're
dropping the rope on the avalanche gates.

-klaus

Old March 4th 04, 08:30 PM
Chuck

Walt wrote in
:

Chuck wrote:
Walt wrote
Chuck wrote:

[...]

I find if I don't buckle them before heading off to the mountain, it
takes more like 10 minutes to get them buckled.