central location

Old March 1st 06, 01:44 PM

Default central location

we are looking to but an apartment in the French Alps. However to try and
avoid the high prices in resort and additionally not wanting to have to ski
in the same resort all of the time we are thinking of buying somewhere 'down
the valley'.

So we are looking for a base town or village say within 30kms of some good
skiing. Reasonably priced and nice in its own right.

Any suggestions

Cheers
Colin

Old March 1st 06, 03:37 PM

Hi Colin,

Not much experience of different 'valley' towns, but I like Bourg St
Maurice. Bit of character (cobbled high street), well connected train
station, and within 30kms of more skiing than you can shake a stick at
(Val d'Isere, Tignes, Rosiere, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Saint Foy) If you
got bored of that lot, the 3 valleys are also pretty close.

One negative might be higher prices because it's connected to Les Arcs
by a funicular so is sometimes thought of as a resort in its own right
(by people selling things, not by skiers..!) but you could look at some
of the villages in the surrounding area?

Cheers,

Matt

Old March 1st 06, 04:57 PM

"Colin Hamilton" wrote in message
we are looking to but an apartment in the French Alps. However to try and
avoid the high prices in resort and additionally not wanting to have to
ski in the same resort all of the time we are thinking of buying somewhere
'down the valley'.

So we are looking for a base town or village say within 30kms of some good
skiing. Reasonably priced and nice in its own right.

I stayed in Moutiers and was thinking it would be great to have a place
there - it's rather lovely if you like it very quiet! The train connections
with london and paris are fantastic.

You've got all of the the 3 valleys, la plagne and les arcs within half an
hour or so, val/tignes an hour in one direction, megeve, etc. an hour in the
other. A bit of a schlepp for a day trip, but sestrieres or courmayeur are
only a couple of hours away.

I think it would be difficult to rent it out though - if people only have a
week, they don't want to be commuting to the slopes.

Jim