A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Alpine Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Least expensive place to stay in Breckenridge/Silverthorne/Keystone area?

Old January 13th 15, 01:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry
external usenet poster

Default Least expensive place to stay in Breckenridge/Silverthorne/Keystonearea?

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 7:26:48 AM UTC-8, lal_truckee wrote:
On 1/11/15 9:15 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
I just stumbled onto this ski history article about Jay Peak.

http://www.vermonter.com/northlandjo...ay-peak-vt.php

It's good to see that the old timers (of which I suppose we are fringe
members) are recording their memoirs.

My (very) peripheral connections to ski history -

An older cousin (mother's mother's brother's son) skied at Dartmouth in the 30's with Dick Durrance.

I received a standard race medal from Walter Foeger at Jay Peak early 60's.

Dave Derick, for whom the Derick Hotshot trail at Jay is named, was in our high school ski mob. One year he had an ankle in a cast, so he learned to ski on one foot. He skied way beyond our ability, and was a rising star in the Eastern Amateur junior racing world until he died in an auto accident on his way to a day of skiing at Jay.

In my high school class at Littleton HS was a member of the third generation of the Peabody family who had developed the recreation slopes at Cannon Mountain. He won the skimeister competition at the NH State High meet (best combined places in slalom, GS, jumping and cross country), and was already a member of the Cannon Ski Patrol while in high school.

My mother's brother and his wife ran the little grocery store in Irasvile, at the junction of the roads going to Sugarbush, Glen Ellen, and Mad River Glen (17 and 100). The place was packed every Saturday night. Their son worked a year at Sugarbush as a lift operator after he got out of the Navy.

My father's brother worked as a truck driver in 1958 on the final completion of the McCullough Turnpike (Route 17) over Appalachian Gap, which gives direct access to Mad River Glen from the east and then down to Route 100 (when it is not closed by winter weather).

I once rode Chair 5 at Mammoth with Dave McCoy, but I didn't know it was him until the workers at the top of the lift greeted him. He had skied up to join me at the last minute while loading, and we had a pleasant conversation about the weather and ski conditions on the way up. By the time I got my pole straps on, he was gone down the mountain in a cloud of snow.
Ads
Old January 13th 15, 02:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Least expensive place to stay in Breckenridge/Silverthorne/Keystonearea?

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 11:15:59 PM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:

My late dad was on the college ski team at Marquette U. (Wisconsin) and on the ski patrol at Granite Peak at Rib Mountain sometime around 1950.

From the few stories he told me, he pretty much skiied like I do...ask Bob Lee for the dirty details.

Jim in Texas
Old January 13th 15, 03:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 01/12/2015 05:50 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

My (very) peripheral connections to ski history ...

To the best of my knowledge I'm the first one in my family to ski,
although I'm pretty sure that my Hanoverian, Norwegian and Swedish
great-grandparents had some experience :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's important to never be arrogant. Especially if you're one
of the little people whose opinion doesn't matter." --Rat
Old January 13th 15, 12:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Least expensive place to stay in Breckenridge/Silverthorne/Keystone area?

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 18:41:11 -0800 (PST), "
wrote this crap:

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 11:15:59 PM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:

My late dad was on the college ski team at Marquette U. (Wisconsin)
and on the ski patrol at Granite Peak at Rib Mountain sometime around 1950.

From the few stories he told me, he pretty much skiied
like I do...ask Bob Lee for the dirty details.

Jim in Texas

So he skied like a Texan, waving his arms and yelling, "Yeee Haaa!"
all the way down the mountain?

Go Bucks, #1

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe