Early Season

Old October 19th 10, 07:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Early Season

On 10/19/2010 01:28 PM, Dick G wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:10:30 -0400,
wrote:

RW
I will do that, have only skied Okemo, nothing else in the East

Slow-kemo, eh? I'd like a casual visitor's opinion.
Can you share?

I have been to Okemo 3 or 4 times, cant really remember, and its
usually with friends in NY who somehow have scooped $25 lift tickets.
The Good: A few nice DD trails, decent snow conditions, good/friendly
staff. The Bad: Jackson Gore, not overly impressed with the hill, the
hotel/condo seemed "soulless" if you know what I mean, and the
food/snacks were not very good at all to the best runs.The Ugly: We
have always stayed slope side in Winterplace, some of the most poorly
constructed ski accommodations I have had the pleasure to enjoy.
Orientation - seemed to be forever reviewing the map to see where we
were in relation to getting to the best runs.

Hmm. The only good DD's I've found were on the South Face,
usually in the woods. And of course Sel's Run which is a
premier bump run. I do have trouble with that at my age
and stage.

Ayup on Jackson Gore.

Winterplace is a client of mine and I'm all too familiar
with their construction. See if you can't get into one of
the more recently constructed buildings. They are all duplexes
(two units per building) and have 5 bedrooms each unit. They
will be Very Expen$ive to rent unless you have a large group.
The most recent sales cost in the area of $1,000,000 per
unit. Yes, that's six zeros.

The layout isn't too bad actually. But it's a good idea here
as it is anywhere, to ski with a local.

Join us at Killington. Walt's been here with me and his only
complaint was that we were too laid back. He didn't cut me
any slack by recognizing that it was a blizzard day and
we really didn't want to hit it any harder than we did.
Gave me crap anyway.

Old October 19th 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 10/19/2010 3:15 PM, VtSkier wrote:

Join us at Killington. Walt's been here with me and his only
complaint was that we were too laid back. He didn't cut me
any slack by recognizing that it was a blizzard day and
we really didn't want to hit it any harder than we did.

I don't know that it was a *complaint" so much as an observation that we
took a much more leisurely pace than I usually do. I tend to channel my
inner puritan when hitting a real hill, skiing bell-to-bell without
taking breaks. Vt and crew are mountain hosts who ski KMart all the
time so their approach was to take a run or two, go hang in the patrol
shack for 15 minutes, take another run, go in for coffee, etc. etc.
It's different approach, that's all.

Of course, with it being a raging blizzard that day, any sane person
would be taking frequent breaks. Did I mention that I don't tend to
take breaks?

Gave me crap anyway.

Well, yes. And you're surprised by this? (c:

//Walt
Old October 19th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 10/19/2010 04:55 PM, Walt wrote:
[...]

Well, no.
And I'd like to do it again. Maybe when it's not
such awful weather.

//Walt

Old October 19th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:

Well, no.
And I'd like to do it again. Maybe when it's not
such awful weather.

KMart is not on the radar at this point, but my in-laws still live in
the same place, so I'll probably make it back there at some point.

Of course, you're always welcome to come here. We might ever get
Horvath to show up if you're lucky.

//Walt

How NOT to end your season early.... Rich Heimlich Alpine Skiing 64 March 15th 06 05:03 PM
Early season at Bachelor? [email protected] Snowboarding 4 December 5th 05 06:02 PM
Early season scars Eric Snowboarding 4 December 11th 04 04:48 PM
Whistler early season josh Alpine Skiing 1 November 10th 03 09:31 PM
Early season in St Anton Ralf Langanke European Ski Resorts 9 July 22nd 03 10:02 PM