Best way to get to Snowshoe from Richmond, VA?

Old January 11th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Andrei Outkine

Default Best way to get to Snowshoe from Richmond, VA?

I am driving to Snowshoe from Richmond this weekend and wanted some
advise on what route to take once I come off I-64. My kids get motion
sickness pretty easily, so I was wondering if there is a way to avoid
the most meandering roads without sacrificing much time. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old January 11th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ernieman

From Richmond, Snowshoe at http://www.snowshoemtn.com/gettinghere/index.htm
recommends -"From the East
Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Norfolk and Richmond Area: 1-64 West to I-81
North to Staunton, VA, West on US-250 then South on 42 to Goshen, VA, then
WV-39 West to Marlinton, WV, then 26 miles North on US-219 to Snowshoe. "
This route is about 220 miles.

A longer route (by about 60 miles) is to take I-81 South to I-64 West, and
follow Snowshoe's directions for coming from the South.
"From the South
Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro Area: North on US-220 to Roanoke and on to
Clifton Forge, VA, then I-64 West to White Sulphur Springs, then 92 North to
WV-39 West to Marlinton, WV; and 26 miles North on US-219 to Snowshoe.
(Highway 92 is a very drivable route from I-64 to WV39).

Atlanta, Columbia and Charlotte Areas: North on I-77 from Charlotte to
Beckley, WV, then I-64 East to White Sulphur Springs, then 92 North to WV-39
West to Marlinton, WV: then 26 miles North on US-219 to Snowshoe. (You may
also leave I-64 at Lewisburg and travel Hwy 219 North to Snowshoe . . .
shorter but very mountainous)"

I have NOT driven the route from Richmond to Snowshoe, and have no idea
about the roads recommended by Snowshoe. I have driven the roads from I-64
to Snowshoe; these roads are not horribly curvy or hilly, but they are not
super highways.

Ernie

Old January 11th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

I am driving to Snowshoe from Richmond this weekend and wanted some
advise on what route to take once I come off I-64. My kids get motion
sickness pretty easily, so I was wondering if there is a way to avoid
the most meandering roads without sacrificing much time. Any ideas?

Never been to that part of the world, but motion sickness is caused
primarily by cognitive dissonance. Ever wonder why nobody ever gets motion
sickness when they are driving? Encourage your kids to look out the front
window as much as posible, don't let them read or play video games and take
a gravol every few hours, starting just bfore you leave.

Snowshoe, WV [email protected] North American Ski Resorts 0 September 13th 07 01:51 AM
Snowshoe Mountain Martha North American Ski Resorts 4 October 4th 04 01:10 AM
Snowshoe Info. DCSkier Alpine Skiing 2 February 24th 04 10:34 PM
Galyan's travesty: "People don't ski anymore, they snowshoe." Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 12 December 20th 03 03:30 AM
Snowshoe, West Virginia? John Snowboarding 4 November 15th 03 07:20 AM