A different Aspen/Snowmass question

Old December 17th 03, 03:05 AM
DZN

Default A different Aspen/Snowmass question

I love Snowmass. Its perfect for folks like me. I like to spend a lot of
time in the blues, like having runs groomed every couple of days. Its so
big its hard to get bored. However, I'm going out there for 7 days in
January and am wondering if any of the other mountains are worthwhile.
There's been discussion for folks at a much higher level than me but how are
the other three mountains for folks like me. My condo is ski in ski out so
taking the shuttle is something I'd like to do only if one of the other
places is really worthwhile. Any thoughts?

Old December 18th 03, 01:17 AM
Kneale Brownson

"DZN" wrote in message ...
I love Snowmass. Its perfect for folks like me. I like to spend a lot of
time in the blues, like having runs groomed every couple of days. Its so
big its hard to get bored. However, I'm going out there for 7 days in
January and am wondering if any of the other mountains are worthwhile.
There's been discussion for folks at a much higher level than me but how are
the other three mountains for folks like me. My condo is ski in ski out so
taking the shuttle is something I'd like to do only if one of the other
places is really worthwhile. Any thoughts?

I'd take a morning and visit Ajax. Your Snowmass tickets are good
there. I don't think I'd spend any time at Buttermilk. Your Snowmass
tickets didn't used to be useable at the Highlands. If you really
like Snowmass, you probably wouldn't enjoy Highlands as much. But
there's plenty to like on Ajax.

Old December 18th 03, 01:17 AM
uglymoney

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:05:28 CST, "DZN"
wrote:

I love Snowmass. Its perfect for folks like me. I like to spend a lot of
time in the blues, like having runs groomed every couple of days. Its so
big its hard to get bored. However, I'm going out there for 7 days in
January and am wondering if any of the other mountains are worthwhile.
There's been discussion for folks at a much higher level than me but how are
the other three mountains for folks like me. My condo is ski in ski out so
taking the shuttle is something I'd like to do only if one of the other
places is really worthwhile. Any thoughts?

I think you'll like the Highlands as well. It has some long
cruising, and fewer people and fast lifts. Ruth's run I
think it is that people were speaking of at Aspen mountain
is an intermediate cruiser, but the mountain might not be
your cup of tea as a whole.

I'm with some of the others here that don't care that much
for Snowmass, but I am also a steep lover- that said we
used to ski Highlands as a family before it was part of the
Aspen ski corp - it was cheaper - and I really learned to
love the mountain long before I was a high level skier. Its
still a good mountain, though not 3800 vert anymore, it
shrunk after the ski corp bought it. When I was a little
bit older (like early teens) me and my friends went to Ajax
to bang bumps and rocks all day.

All three mountains are worthwhile imo, but if it were me in
your boots, I'd hit the highlands for at least a day. You
might get hooked.

nate

Old December 18th 03, 05:27 PM
bdubya

wrote:

I love Snowmass. Its perfect for folks like me. I like to spend a lot of
time in the blues, like having runs groomed every couple of days. Its so
big its hard to get bored. However, I'm going out there for 7 days in
January and am wondering if any of the other mountains are worthwhile.
There's been discussion for folks at a much higher level than me but how are
the other three mountains for folks like me. My condo is ski in ski out so
taking the shuttle is something I'd like to do only if one of the other
places is really worthwhile. Any thoughts?

While the Highlands gets press mainly for its steeper stuff, there's a
lot of really good cruising to be done there as well. Ajax actually
has proportionally more intermed. terrain, but I found Highlands more
interesting. Easily worth a day's visit, IMHO.

bw